English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 May 2020, 18:15   #1
amigatime

A600 Newbie: Questions on Display, Mouse & Storage

Hi guys,

After first wanting an Amiga at nine years of age, I finally got one... 30 years later! This week I bought myself an A600 which looks to be in fantastic condition. The box looks new and even has the pink plastic bag and various cards such as warranty etc, so it was a great experience opening it up for the first time. So anyway, on to the questions:

After doing a bit of research, I'm wondering whether I should get a 15KHz-compatible monitor such as the BenQ BL702a or Dell U2410, or if I should get the OSSC for more freedom. Which would give the better experience?

I also need a mouse. Is there any reason to get an original A600 mouse over a more modern option? Bonus question: does the original A600 mouse have two equally sized buttons, or is button 1 larger? I've seen so many pictures I'm not sure what's what.

And finally, what's the best way of getting hold of and running software on this? Some sort of SD card solution? Or scour eBay for floppies?

I realise a lot of this is going to be subjective, but I'm interested in your experiences and opinions. Perhaps you started out thinking it would be best keeping everything as authentic as possible, but switched to more modern solutions? All I know is that I've got an A600 sat in its box and I'm dying to use it!

Thanks!
Old 23 May 2020, 21:22   #2
Avrovulcan

Hi. Can't offer any specific advice for the A600 as I never got round to owning one.
However on the subject of Scan Rate Converters I'm led to believe that the OSSC systems one of the best. I intend to get one at some point. In the interim I went for one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcade-Ga...EAAOSwzz1ZnNI8

The quality isn't as good as the OSSC, as is reflected by the price. That said though it's good enough to be useable and with a slight modification with the addition of some self adhesive copper foil the quality can be improved quite a bit.

It's not bad value for £15 to be honest. And as I say, I find mine fine to work with. But obviously it's not as good as an OSSC or a dedicated 15Khz monitor.

HTH

Kind regards
Andy
Old 23 May 2020, 21:32   #3
Nobby_UK

I have the 'Pebble' mouse = the Left button is bigger than the right.
But I've also used the 'Tank' and one from Amiga Technologies.
They are much of a muchness.

I recently purchased a USB adapter which works with my old HP laser mouse (via PS/2 adapter) but my modern cheep Chinese ones do not.

Yup IDE to SD (or CF) inside the machine
and PCMCIA to CF (or SD = rare) externally.
a Gotek drive is also useful.

As to monitor --- I use a NEC LCD1970NXp
which is not 'bad' but I can sometimes see 'Jail-Bars'

Re: the Copper Foil thing (GBS8200) mentioned above ---
See this: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 23 May 2020 at 21:47. Reason: more details
Old 23 May 2020, 21:41   #4
dreadnought

-OSSC apart form upscaling can give you scanlines, which in turn will make games look much better on the modern display. If you don't mind the raw, "blocky" pixels look you can see in emulators then it does not matter though. It's still a powerful, flexible device (you can use it for other hardware too). Decent chinese clones are also ok, and cheaper.

-old school mice are expensive. Unless you want one for authencity/looks, I'd recommend getting one of "TOM" (or one of its clones) adapters - I use my wireless Logitech mouse with it and it works as well as on my PC. Plus you can then use other USB devices (jopypad/keyboard) on it.

-using original floppies is quite nostalgic, but for convenience CF flash card solution is unbeatable (so it's like HDD). There's also Gotek - disk drive emulator which uses USB flash storage for adfs. It's a great device but if you think about serious gaming CF is the way to go (disk juggling/waiting can be a pain).

There are also some accelerators/memory expansions worth investing in, so you can run WHDLoad and Workbench comfortably, but I'm not familiar with A600 ones myself.
Old 24 May 2020, 17:52   #5
amigatime

Thanks for the replies

Is it fair to say that running an OSSC provides the same experience in terms of motion and scale as a 15KHz monitor, but with the added benefit of post processing (scan lines and such)? Or is there more to it? Things that are important to me are colour reproduction, noise (or lack of it), and motion.

Is there much point in a Gotek floppy emulator if I can get hold of a CF solution of some description?

I ended up buying an original 'pebble' style mouse for authenticity, but I may get an adapter at some point if it proves frustrating.
Old 24 May 2020, 19:01   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

OSSC adds zero latency so it is as good as it can get. Most 15kHz-capable monitors have some kind of issues that might annoy you after some time - some stretches the image or have weird borders and some forgets the settings after every reset. If you ask me, the lack of visible scanlines is also a problem as this is not how it looked originally on CRT displays. With the OSSC, most of these issues can be resolved, and if you pair it with a decent low-latency gaming LCD monitor, you can get close to the feel and performance of a real CRT.

I have the original OSSC, but I have also heard good things about the cheaper chinese versions.

If you want to use a CF card for storage, you need to go for a WHDLoad setup and that would require an accelerator with at least 4MB memory, preferably 8+MB. WHDLoad games cannot be run from HDD/CF on a plain 2MB A600 (ok, maybe a few 1-disk games but not many). You should be able to play most system-friendly games, i.e. games that can be started from WB like most adventure games.
The cheaper alternative is a Gotek solution. In this case, a KS switcher with 1.3 and 3.1 would also be handy as not all games run properly under 2.0+.
Old 24 May 2020, 23:25   #7
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
OSSC adds zero latency so it is as good as it can get. Most 15kHz-capable monitors have some kind of issues that might annoy you after some time - some stretches the image or have weird borders and some forgets the settings after every reset. If you ask me, the lack of visible scanlines is also a problem as this is not how it looked originally on CRT displays. With the OSSC, most of these issues can be resolved, and if you pair it with a decent low-latency gaming LCD monitor, you can get close to the feel and performance of a real CRT.

I have the original OSSC, but I have also heard good things about the cheaper chinese versions.

If you want to use a CF card for storage, you need to go for a WHDLoad setup and that would require an accelerator with at least 4MB memory, preferably 8+MB. WHDLoad games cannot be run from HDD/CF on a plain 2MB A600 (ok, maybe a few 1-disk games but not many). You should be able to play most system-friendly games, i.e. games that can be started from WB like most adventure games.
The cheaper alternative is a Gotek solution. In this case, a KS switcher with 1.3 and 3.1 would also be handy as not all games run properly under 2.0+.
Okay, I think I'm sold on the idea of the OSSC then. Any recommendations for a decent clone?

I'm clearer on the Gotek vs CF card thing now, thank you for the explanation. I'll have to think about what I want to do with this A600 in terms of hardware. I guess one of the first things I need to do before any upgrades is take a look at the capacitors, as the warranty sticker is still in place.