English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2010, 22:47   #1
ghost_of_war

Blinking LED

I am still waiting for a monitor replacement to arrive, but I noticed when I powered on my A500, the power LED blinked 10 quick times and then one longer blink - and then the cycle repeats? When I turned in on a week prior, it seemed to power on just fine. Any idea what code it may be presenting or should I just toss it and look for another? Can parts within be replaced like a modern day standard PC?

I did find this:

Green Screen; 10 short 1 long power LED blink
a) clean and re-insert Agnus chip

Not sure if that is true or not.

Last edited by ghost_of_war; 10 June 2010 at 22:55.
Old 10 June 2010, 23:06   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Green screen is 'error found in chip ram' do you have a ram expansion the trap door? Maybe its become dislodged, try taking it out and replace it back.

Steve.
Old 10 June 2010, 23:30   #3
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Only when you have a monitor you can find if the error your A500 has it´s easy or hard to fix.The colors that appear when you boot tell the part that needs to be fixed.
The parts inside your A500 are completely different from a standard PC, the A500 has only one main board and in top of it has the components, most of them are directly soldered on board and case you have to repair the A500 you need to have some soldering skills.
If I was you I will open the A500 and gently remove all the chips that has a support and can be removed by hand and then push them again to the support only to prevent any bad contact and then try to see if the computer does boot normaly again.
Old 11 June 2010, 02:28   #4
Zyphon

I am having the same problem with an A1200 a friend gave me as spares. It has no HDD inside and is an original Commodore version and it doesn't boot just a Green screen, I heard it could be faulty chip RAM or bad Agnus chip (but I think that is in the A500 only).

Do I need to take the chip out and clean contacts and replace?
Old 11 June 2010, 10:55   #5
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

As these computers age, pin seating / pin alignment becomes problematic. If anyone has an expansion card that's not working reliably, take the expansion out, bend the top row of pins about 0.5 degrees off centre and replace it, this ensures good contact, a problem I had many years ago in my A500.
Old 11 June 2010, 12:17   #6
ghost_of_war

I am going to try and open it up and check the chips. I did find out if need be, I can just replace the entire board through Amigakit if I had to, which bring me to my other question.

The replacement new/old boards they sell say PAL - now, being I'm a yank in the 'States using NTSC, will this still power on fine and play my games of old? The games are original from back in the day and not 'imported/cracked' copies...
Old 11 June 2010, 13:14   #7
Zyphon

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
As these computers age, pin seating / pin alignment becomes problematic. If anyone has an expansion card that's not working reliably, take the expansion out, bend the top row of pins about 0.5 degrees off centre and replace it, this ensures good contact, a problem I had many years ago in my A500.
The A1200 in question has no expansion cards but I have now received my anti-static wrist strap so I will remove the chips and clean up.

When using a an anti-static wrist strap do you leave the Amiga Power lead inserted and attach the strap to the metal cage?
Old 11 June 2010, 13:22   #8
ghost_of_war

Quote:
When using a an anti-static wrist strap do you leave the Amiga Power lead inserted and attach the strap to the metal cage?
I would think so - should be the same as working with a normal PC.
Old 11 June 2010, 16:57   #9
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon View Post
The A1200 in question has no expansion cards but I have now received my anti-static wrist strap so I will remove the chips and clean up.

As long as the shield is screwed down, then you will have a grounding point, failing that, a simple power to wrist strap connector is available, consists of a clear plastic plug leading off to a banana plug adapter, has 1M resistor built in for safety.
Old 11 June 2010, 17:04   #10
ghost_of_war

Quote:
The replacement new/old boards they sell say PAL - now, being I'm a yank in the 'States using NTSC, will this still power on fine and play my games of old? The games are original from back in the day and not 'imported/cracked' copies...
Anyone know about this? I don't want to buy the board from Amigakit if it isn't going to work for me... thanks!
Old 11 June 2010, 18:23   #11
Zyphon

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
As long as the shield is screwed down, then you will have a grounding point, failing that, a simple power to wrist strap connector is available, consists of a clear plastic plug leading off to a banana plug adapter, has 1M resistor built in for safety.
Thanks for the tip. If the shield is screwed down does the power lead still need to be connected to the A1200 and plugged into the mains?
Old 11 June 2010, 20:08   #12
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_of_war View Post
Anyone know about this? I don't want to buy the board from Amigakit if it isn't going to work for me... thanks!
Ask for a NTSC board, then.
Old 12 June 2010, 06:55   #13
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphon View Post
Thanks for the tip. If the shield is screwed down does the power lead still need to be connected to the A1200 and plugged into the mains?
No.
Old 12 June 2010, 15:28   #14
ghost_of_war

Err, I think I fixed it... sort of. I took the casing off until I reached the mainboard. From there, I just made sure all chips were properly seated, blew out a little dust and popped the casing back together. Fired it up and works perfectly... wtf LOL
Old 12 June 2010, 16:15   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
good old chip creep, pushing the chips back in sorts it
Old 12 June 2010, 19:51   #16
Zyphon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
No.
Thanks.