English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 March 2010, 01:30   #1
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

A1200 yellow screen after reset!

I've noticed that sometimes i get greeted by a yellow screen for a short while when i reset my A1200. I'm sure this is a CPU related error but does anyone know what it means? The A1200 will still boot fine and work as normal even after getting stuck on a yellow screen for a few seconds. It only happens occasionally when i do a soft reset. Is it an issue with my E-Matrix 1230/40mhz expansion and is it anything to worry about?
Old 27 March 2010, 04:36   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I've noticed that sometimes i get greeted by a yellow screen for a short while when i reset my A1200. I'm sure this is a CPU related error but does anyone know what it means? The A1200 will still boot fine and work as normal even after getting stuck on a yellow screen for a few seconds. It only happens occasionally when i do a soft reset. Is it an issue with my E-Matrix 1230/40mhz expansion and is it anything to worry about?
Is your CPU or 68882 PLCC ? (Socketed) ?

I recently had Yellow screen at boot up, I pulled my DKB Cobra out, pulled the RAM, cleaned their contacts, cleaned the Motherboard contacts and it still happened.

I *THEN* pulled the 68882 from its PLCC socket, cleaned the pins and then resocketed it, and it works GREAT now. Just need to fix the KB sometime.
Old 28 March 2010, 06:32   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Yellow screen is caused by bad RAM or bad RAM configuration. I don't know if E-Matrix have a software driver/loader, but if so your settings are wrong.

Also test with another RAM stick.
Old 30 April 2010, 08:49   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Thanks for the reply guys... i actually forgot about this thread

@whiteb... I don't have an FPU fitted to this board and all contacts have been checked

@rkauer... I got this board from Amigakit.com and it arrived with nothing, no documentation or drivers or anything. I hope it's not bad memory as Amigakit.com test their items before shipping them out so i'm sure they would have picked up on something like that? Anyway i will try it with more ram when i can find a 32mb simm that actually fits!

It's strange as i get the yellow screen and flashing power only about 50% of the time either after resetting or from a cold boot I have tried 3 different PSU's (2 x A500 and Goliath) and have removed the card and memory to check everything but it all seems fine from a visual inspection.

I'm using the accelerator with an Escom rev 1D4 motherboard... I know the timing fix is usually only needed when running a 040 or higher so i doubt this is the issue.
Old 30 April 2010, 09:18   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Powerpie, I had the yellow screen and flashing power light the first time I tried my M-Tec 1230 and all I had to do was take the card out and plug it back in, never had the problem again.

Maybe its a bad connection to Amigas expansion port?

Steve.
Old 04 May 2010, 15:30   #6
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Powerpie, I had the yellow screen and flashing power light the first time I tried my M-Tec 1230 and all I had to do was take the card out and plug it back in, never had the problem again.

Maybe its a bad connection to Amigas expansion port?

Steve.
Ok i've removed the whole thing and removed the memory simm... then re-inserted it all and i still get the yellow screen and flashing led on boot up It seems to happen more often now i'm using my A1200 a bit more!

It's either a fault with the card or the A1200's motherboard so i guess i'm going to have to try and contact Amigakit.com through their website.
Old 04 May 2010, 15:47   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
try reseating the crystal
Old 04 May 2010, 15:47   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Ok i've removed the whole thing and removed the memory simm... then re-inserted it all and i still get the yellow screen and flashing led on boot up It seems to happen more often now i'm using my A1200 a bit more!

It's either a fault with the card or the A1200's motherboard so i guess i'm going to have to try and contact Amigakit.com through their website.
Yep I think its best you contact Amigakit's support. Do you want me to hold fire on sending that Simm? I can't get out yet today anyway, been waiting in all day for Parcel Force to collect an item I sold on amibay, no sign yet...

Steve.
Old 04 May 2010, 15:53   #9
Cosmos
Banned

Clean all connectors with a rubber : http://cosmosamiga.blogspot.com/2010/02/gomme.html
Old 04 May 2010, 16:06   #10
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Yep I think its best you contact Amigakit's support. Do you want me to hold fire on sending that Simm? I can't get out yet today anyway, been waiting in all day for Parcel Force to collect an item I sold on amibay, no sign yet...

Steve.
I would still like to try the simm if thats ok in case i'm using a bad simm (i have no others to try it with at the moment). Also Parcelforce usually collect from me at around 4-5pm... not sure what they are like in your area though

I've raised a ticket with Amigakit's technical support as i've tried everything (except trying another simm). I just want an A1200 that can power up without any issues! It's a nos A1200 with a nos E-Matrix 1230 and together cost me over £300... so it's a bit annoying to know that it's not working perfectly... and the A1200 has a warped case which i'm going to have to pay out again to replace with another "nos" case

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 04 May 2010 at 16:14.
Old 04 May 2010, 16:42   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
I would still like to try the simm if thats ok in case i'm using a bad simm (i have no others to try it with at the moment). Also Parcelforce usually collect from me at around 4-5pm... not sure what they are like in your area though

I've raised a ticket with Amigakit's technical support as i've tried everything (except trying another simm). I just want an A1200 that can power up without any issues! It's a nos A1200 with a nos E-Matrix 1230 and together cost me over £300... so it's a bit annoying to know that it's not working perfectly... and the A1200 has a warped case which i'm going to have to pay out again to replace with another "nos" case
No sign of em yet mate, worst case I'll post it on the way to work tomorrow if thats ok? Sorry for the delay

Hope this all works out for you mate £300 is a lot to pay as you say and not have a perfect system.

Good Luck with it all!

Steve.
Old 04 May 2010, 18:27   #12
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
No sign of em yet mate, worst case I'll post it on the way to work tomorrow if thats ok? Sorry for the delay

Hope this all works out for you mate £300 is a lot to pay as you say and not have a perfect system.

Good Luck with it all!

Steve.
Posting it tomorrow will be fine I will also send you that matching pair of 32mb simm's for your Apollo 1240 regardless whether or not your simm works with my accelerator. You can have them as i have no use for them

Cheers
Old 04 May 2010, 18:38   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

didt` realise this is your New A1200 powerPie

Send it back to amigakit and let them sort it out for you
Old 04 May 2010, 19:02   #14
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
didt` realise this is your New A1200 powerPie

Send it back to amigakit and let them sort it out for you
I doubt they would let me send back the A1200 as i had to break the seal to install my HDD and find out why the case was not screwed together properly in the first place! I then found the case is a bit warped and will not comfortably go back together without making the case look uneven all round with gaps Also the top half looks slightly discoloured (not as white) compared to the pearly white bottom half... I can just about forgive the trapdoor cover and floppy eject button being slightly yellowed.

Anyway if the simm from Fitzsteve does not cure the yellow screen problem then i will have to send the accelerator back and not touch another E-Matrix 1230 (unless it's the "proper" version). I should have done a better job inspecting and testing the A1200 before breaking it's seal as then i probably would have returned the lot!

Some people may think i'm being picky but for a "new" and expensive system i expect it to be in better condition than a refurb unit... It's only recently that it's started to really bother me and to think i got rid of my other "mint" C= A1200's
Old 04 May 2010, 19:16   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

well if its your assumption to doubt its up to you

we`ve known about your problems/gripes for a while now, well documented on here

one of my mottos if you don`t ask you will never know, but its up 2 you
Old 04 May 2010, 19:26   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I doubt they would let me send back the A1200 as i had to break the seal to install my HDD and find out why the case was not screwed together properly in the first place! I then found the case is a bit warped and will not comfortably go back together without making the case look uneven all round with gaps Also the top half looks slightly discoloured (not as white) compared to the pearly white bottom half... I can just about forgive the trapdoor cover and floppy eject button being slightly yellowed.
It is an exageration to say that the floppy button and trap door are yellowed, all Amiga Tech A1200s use a different type of plastic to the rest of the case and that reacts differently over time. Remember these machines were manufactured in 95/96. The upper/lower case plastic used for the A1200's are even different shades to the type that Commodore used in the original production run.

Quote:
Anyway if the simm from Fitzsteve does not cure the yellow screen problem then i will have to send the accelerator back and not touch another E-Matrix 1230 (unless it's the "proper" version). I should have done a better job inspecting and testing the A1200 before breaking it's seal as then i probably would have returned the lot!
"unless it's the "proper" version"- it is a proper version.

Quote:
Some people may think i'm being picky but for a "new" and expensive system i expect it to be in better condition than a refurb unit... It's only recently that it's started to really bother me and to think i got rid of my other "mint" C= A1200's
It certainly isn't a refurb machine, please stop saying it is. It is not fair to misrepresent the condition of the machine- your unit was in a much better condition than a typical refurbished Amiga. Many of our customers are very satisfied with the conditions of Amigas that we send out.

Please also make it known, that you have NOT contacted us at all until today. Instead you would rather go round forums instead of coming straight to us.
Old 04 May 2010, 19:37   #17
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
well if its your assumption to doubt its up to you

we`ve known about your problems/gripes for a while now, well documented on here

one of my mottos if you don`t ask you will never know, but its up 2 you
Regarding the yellow screen i got a reply from Amigakit.com saying it's nothing to worry about and the yellow screen is the accelerators firmware loading... but what about the times when i don't see a yellow screen, does that mean the firmware has failed to load?
Old 04 May 2010, 19:45   #18
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
"unless it's the "proper" version"- it is a proper version..
The real version supports upto 128mb ram, comes with a 50mhz CPU, FPU and has SCSI support. So far i've not even been able to use 32mb with mine... hopefully that will change with the simm that Fitzsteve is kindly sending me.

Quote:
"Please also make it known, that you have NOT contacted us at all until today. Instead you would rather go round forums instead of coming straight to us.
Double check your sales inbox as i sent the first message around 2 weeks ago regarding how much a new A1200 case would cost as mine is warped.. I also sent the same question today with no response. The only reply i've had is regarding the yellow screen with the accelerator (sent today).

Quote:
It is not fair to misrepresent the condition of the machine- your unit was in a much better condition than a typical refurbished Amiga.
Sorry but i'm certainly not "misrepresenting" the condition of my machine... it arrived looking a bit odd and not at all flush. I understand the trapdoor and eject button could have different plastic mixtures and maybe manufactured somewhere else but surely the top and bottom half of the case are manufactured in the same place and should have the same shade of white? I can only assume the top half is from a C= model as they were never as white as the Escom models.

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 04 May 2010 at 19:55.
Old 04 May 2010, 20:23   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

I would`t worry 2 much about the yellow screen, get them a few times on me A4000

and wot FOL said

asking wot a case costs is not the same as flagging up a complaint

I`ve said enuff
Night night ppl
Old 04 May 2010, 20:32   #20
amigakit.com

The top half is the half that Amiga Technologies assembled the system together with and remains unchanged and in the boxed condition we received it. It is possible that the case may well have originated from unsold Commodore stock. Remember, during assembly in the Solectron factory in France, Amiga Technologies had some inventory from the Commodore liquidation and also their own manufactured stock.

If the slight colour difference bothers you (and as you have already stated that you have broken the warranty seals), on this occasion we will swap the top half for you purely as a gesture of goodwill. This is not something we would normally do.

If you have a support or service issue and contact us with our Support Ticket system, we will respond within the ticket in a timely fashion during business hours. We do not monitor the Sales Email box for service queries- this is displayed prominently on the webstore's contact page for guidance to customers.