English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 April 2008, 22:56   #1
Rixa

Which Amiga games support an analog joystick?

The connection to attach an old PC joystick to an Amiga described at http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/amiga_circuits.html connects the stick X and Y to pins 9 and 5 (Y and X - inverted? curious) and the buttons to pins 3 and 4 (left and right). It also says that Gunship 2000 supports this and so does Formula 1 Grand Prix. Appears to be true with at least Gunship, and some calibration program I downloaded off aminet appears to work as expected too.

What other Amiga games are there that support an analog joystick? I found a comment somewhere suggesting that Wings would, but if it does I can't configure it.
Old 01 April 2008, 22:59   #2
Graham Humphrey

Here's an old post with a list of analogue-compatible games, not sure how comprehensive it is though but it's a start if nothing else.
Old 06 April 2008, 14:38   #3
Rixa

Thanks. I wonder how accurate it is, though. I tried F/A-18 and Red Baron - both on the list - but if they support an analogue joystick I couldn't for the life of me figure how to configure it so.

Meanwhile googling around I also found some mentions blasting these games for not supporting such a stick. Oh well.
Old 06 April 2008, 17:08   #4
frikilokooo

AFAIK FA-18 Interceptor doesn't have analog joystick control and it doesn't have analog mouse either.

One nice game with joystick analog is Mig-29 Fulcrum also Air Warrior 2.9c,Jetpilot,Overlord and Reach for the Skies.

There are others like Falcon,F19 Stealh Fighter,F16 Combat Pilot,F15 Strike Eagle II,Formula One Grand Prix Microprose...all of them with a very bad analog control IMO.
Old 06 April 2008, 18:54   #5
laser
Banned

virtual karting 1 & 2 also support analog joysticks
Old 13 September 2008, 14:17   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
F1GP plays sweet with Analogue....
Old 14 September 2008, 04:44   #7
andy
Back.

Why the criticism of analogue control on those games, frikilokooo?

I happily ran Grand Prix and Gunship 2000 for years, using PC sticks via a PC to Amiga converter cable. Even the cheapest stick that I used served me well for the hundreds of hours that I must have played those games. Could it have been the stick(s) that you used or that you just didn't get on with analogue control, perhaps?

Also, is it right that Falcon and F-16 have analogue options? I have the feeling that I only had F-16 back in the day and can't remember analogue control being a feature. That could easily mean that it's yet another sign of my failing memory or that I didn't have an analogue stick at the time that I bought F-16, but I'd try to look at the games again if it's true. In the meantime, I'll see what info I can find and will look forward to any new info.