English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 02 March 2023, 19:02   #1
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Kickstart Editor updates, extra features and fixes!

Did a bunch of tidyups and fixes to the Kickstart editor and celebrated by moving it to a v1.00 release and a new website with loads of Kickstart/ROM history and technical info.

Major feature update, “analyserom” now uses component hash files to identify known components
Standard “Recipes and Tests” added, to check Cap works and to be used as template examples
Quiet a few small (unmentioned) fixes and a couple of important ones like CD32 ROM writing fixed, broken in last release
Quite a lot of tidying hash files and adding ROM hashes, after fixing how unordered relocs are handled

Bugfixes
Patcher
Patching components that don’t have relocs no longer coredumps
findopcode was broken since previous missassembler updates (didn’t check!), also tweaked to do more exhaustive searches (every two bytes)

Saving CD32 ROMs
Saving a CD32 formatted ROM works again now, I had inadvertently reordered the interleaving process which made them unusable, this is now documented on the website!

CapCLI “add”
Adding components without relocs no longer risks null pointer access (tried to access a null list)
Adding components with unordered relocs could lead to inconsistent hashes (auto sorts them now)
Adding unallocated space works properly now (adds as a component)

Hash Files
Previously missed 1.x 2.x 3.x components added
Definition fixed for 0xbc0ec13f.Kickstart v1.4 beta 3 r36.16 (1990-03)(Commodore)(A3000)[!] (and the two bad hashes removed, thanks to Greg Donner)
Defintion added for 0x17d949e3.0x17d949e3.Kickstart 1.4 r36.15 Beta 4
Definitions for early KS2 v36/v37 added
Amiga Forever definitions added
Hyperion ROMs and component hashes fixed when components has unordered relocs
Superkick hashes (floppy and file) now properly analysed

Enhancements
CapCLI
analyserom – Significant update, now uses hash files (not just loaded components) for more complete component identification, you no longer have to have extracted files or known ROMs to identify known components, and you don’t have to load them
Added * to roms command output to show current rom
adfsavezip – lets you save a loaded ADF file as a zip file
rombase – The rombase command now patches already added libraries to the new address, you can relocate an entire ROM to a new ROMBASE this way.
It doesn’t currently update kickity-split, extended ROMHEADER or SKSize, and you need to checksum the ROM before use.

Missassembler
Default debug level reduced when adding comments/labels to cut down on noise
Added misshints.ini (see Features->Missassembler for more info)

CapGUI
Lots of icon and colour tidy ups (and a nasty green replaced with a nice purple)
“Save ADF to Zip” added to the ADF: options once an ADF is loaded

Website
All new website created, all the old content copied, plus a few new pages added, HowTo, ROM list (big update), Kickstart formats, features

http://capitoline.twocatsblack.com/
Old 03 March 2023, 02:00   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

You should check that download, it's missing the executables (it has description files instead).
Old 03 March 2023, 09:45   #3
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
You should check that download, it's missing the executables (it has description files instead).
Hmm... not sure what you're seeing there, but the zip download seems fine, I download, install and check (run the automated tests) it on Win/Mac/Linux VMs automatically.

The Windows GUI is Capitoline.exe
The cli commands are capcli.exe, capcli.MacOS and capcli.Linux
The CRC32 commands all look OK too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capzip.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	78248  
Old 03 March 2023, 14:12   #4
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

That's not the same download that I got.
Old 03 March 2023, 22:15   #5
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
That's not the same download that I got.
That’s super weird in that case, there’s only one download, nothing else is on the site, can you pm me the link you used or the download you got?
Old 04 March 2023, 00:52   #6
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

I just re-downloaded it and it looks like somehow I got popped into the hashes subdir and extracted that. Oops. All's well.
Old 04 March 2023, 01:44   #7
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
I just re-downloaded it and it looks like somehow I got popped into the hashes subdir and extracted that. Oops. All's well.
Phew! Thanks for checking and confirming!
Old 04 March 2023, 02:11   #8
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Sorry for worrying you!
Old 04 March 2023, 04:32   #9
reno

This looks amazing, thank you !

Also super timely for me : with the 3.2.2 release I decided to order an EPROM burner and I was looking into how to make a custom KS with ehide.device. Remus/Romsplit didn't look too inviting.

Just a few questions :
- You released this literally 30 minutes before the 3.2.2 announcement Should Capitoline work out of the box with 3.2.2 ROMs for most use cases, or do you need to update it ?
- I'm on macOS : am I missing out on anything by using the CLI rather than the Windows GUI ?
- Any plans to open source it ?

Thank you again
Old 04 March 2023, 22:53   #10
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno View Post
This looks amazing, thank you !

Also super timely for me : with the 3.2.2 release I decided to order an EPROM burner and I was looking into how to make a custom KS with ehide.device. Remus/Romsplit didn't look too inviting.

Just a few questions :
- You released this literally 30 minutes before the 3.2.2 announcement Should Capitoline work out of the box with 3.2.2 ROMs for most use cases, or do you need to update it ?
- I'm on macOS : am I missing out on anything by using the CLI rather than the Windows GUI ?
- Any plans to open source it ?

Thank you again
Thanks!

I’ll post the 3.2.2 definitions tomorrow when I’m back home (they are easy to do for Hyperion) - it does need to know about the different ROMs, I’ll include an automatic recipe/test to create a 1Mb kickstart, what Amiga do you have?
The MacOS CLI can do everything the GUI can do (in fact the CLI can do everything, but the GUI is limited) - you just have to type the file names.
I will probably release all the sources, sometime, once I stop updating (fixing!) it and I’m keeping the DLL open and documenting as much about ROM structures as I go
Old 05 March 2023, 01:42   #11
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeywikey View Post
Thanks!

I’ll post the 3.2.2 definitions tomorrow when I’m back home (they are easy to do for Hyperion) - it does need to know about the different ROMs, I’ll include an automatic recipe/test to create a 1Mb kickstart, what Amiga do you have?
The MacOS CLI can do everything the GUI can do (in fact the CLI can do everything, but the GUI is limited) - you just have to type the file names.
I will probably release all the sources, sometime, once I stop updating (fixing!) it and I’m keeping the DLL open and documenting as much about ROM structures as I go
Ok great !
It's for an A1200 primarily, but I might also want to do the CD32/600/500 next
Old 05 March 2023, 09:38   #12
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
Ok great !
Cool, I might knock up a recipe for a Hyperion CD32 ROM, they don’t include one, I think there’s some legal issues around the CD32 specific modules, not covered by the source code agreement or there’s no new versions so distributing the original modules might not be allowed, but if have a CD32 ROM it shouldn’t be a problem, I have a couple of CD32s but not with me at the mo, so I ctry it in WinUAE

I’ve heard, but it needs to be verified that there might be an issue with ehide and the new 3.2.2, or perhaps it was a combination of 3.2.2 and 060 with 3.2.2, but it might not be an issue, not sure how many people have used the TF with 3.2.2.
Old 05 March 2023, 18:50   #13
Mikeywikey
Kickstart Hacker

Quote:
Ok great !
As promised, March update posted on the website including the 3.2.2 definitions and some minor updates I had in the pipeline.
You can download and extract the files into your existing install and it adds the 3.2.2 definitions, and updates the capcli code.

What’s your ideal A1200 ROM?
Old 05 March 2023, 18:57   #14
wiz12

Nice tool, can this patch the 3.2.2 rom with eide.device for TF cards?
Old 06 March 2023, 03:35   #15
Tallguy297
Tallguy297

Big grin Problem Integrating Modules into Kickstart 3.2.2

Is there a way of importing BlizKick modules into A1200 Kickstart 3.2.2?
I have tried using the CAPCLI utility.
It shows the modules have been compiled.
When I run the workbench command
SHOW CONFIG
command, only the 'gb' (British) keymap is resident.

This is the config file I am running...
Code:
auditfiles ROMs
alias SOURCEROM "$0x5c40328a"
newrom 512k 255
rombase 0xF80000
add "$SOURCEROM" exec.library
add "$SOURCEROM" expansion.library
add "$SOURCEROM" mathieeesingbas.library
add "$SOURCEROM" graphics.library
add "$SOURCEROM" dos.library
add "$SOURCEROM" filesystem
add "$SOURCEROM" console.device
add "$SOURCEROM" layers.library
add "$SOURCEROM" scsi.device
add "$SOURCEROM" con-handler
add "$SOURCEROM" bootmenu
add "$SOURCEROM" syscheck
add "$SOURCEROM" audio.device
add "$SOURCEROM" card.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" utility.library
add "$SOURCEROM" battclock.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" carddisk.device
add "$SOURCEROM" ramdrive.device
add "$SOURCEROM" mathffp.library
add "$SOURCEROM" cia.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" battmem.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" potgo.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" FileSystem.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" misc.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" disk.resource
add "$SOURCEROM" ramlib
add "$SOURCEROM" keymap.library
add "$SOURCEROM" timer.device
add "$SOURCEROM" romboot
add "$SOURCEROM" input.device
add "$SOURCEROM" keyboard.device
add "$SOURCEROM" gameport.device
add "$SOURCEROM" trackdisk.device
add "$SOURCEROM" ram-handler
add "$SOURCEROM" shell
add "$SOURCEROM" intuition.library
add "$SOURCEROM" gadtools.library
add "$SOURCEROM" system-startup
add "$SOURCEROM" syslog
add "$SOURCEROM" workbench.task
add "Keymaps/gb"
add "BlizKick/A1000Jingle"
add "BlizKick/Colour"
add "BlizKick/MoveVBR"
add "BlizKick/NoClick"
add "BlizKick/NewAlert"
add checksum
add size
add vectors
checksum
saverom "Roms/Kick322_NEW.rom"
I've tried just using the object browser to add modules but they all have question marks against them.

Am I doing something wrong??

Thank you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	78269  

Last edited by Tallguy297; 06 March 2023 at 11:49. Reason: Removing Download
Old 06 March 2023, 11:37   #16
spudje

Please remove the download, does not comply with forum rules.
Old 06 March 2023, 23:27   #17
reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeywikey View Post
As promised, March update posted on the website including the 3.2.2 definitions and some minor updates I had in the pipeline.
You can download and extract the files into your existing install and it adds the 3.2.2 definitions, and updates the capcli code.

What’s your ideal A1200 ROM?
Thanks for updating so quickly !
I have no idea about my ideal A1200 ROM tbh. Built-in fat32 seems like a good idea. Anything that increases compatibility and usability when booting different WB versions, or even floppies.

ehide + 3.2.2 was my first thought, but I'm new to custom ROMs and I don't even know what's possible/useful to include, or the intricacies of 1MB vs 512KB ROMs (A500/A600 can only do the latter right ? 27C800 required for 1MB ?)
Old 08 March 2023, 04:44   #18
reno

I've just read through the whole website and this tool is really looking like the future new standard for custom KS creation !

As a newbie the setup steps weren't super clear though (especially as I can't use the GUI) : I figured that you dump your stash of KS roms into "ROMs", but I'm not sure how to populate "Components". Do you manually copy various stuff that you'd like to include, like ehide.device or fat32 / pcmcia drivers ? Can you use the tool to automatically extract components from existing ROMs ? What about ADFs then ?

Anyway, I just had my first attempt at 3.2.2 + EHIDE :

Code:
$ ./capcli.MacOS
CapCLI> loadrom "ROMs/A1200.47.111.rom"
No declared format, assuming unencoded, unencrypted data
WARNING, No hash file for component 40 may have unknown relocs
WARNING, No hash file for component 41 may have unknown relocs
WARNING, No hash file for component 42 may have unknown relocs
CapCLI> add "Components/ehide_d2874a8/ehide.device"
Populating component 133 relocs
Not enough space in rom
No space in rom
And that's a fail ! Am I doing something wrong or is there truly not enough space in 3.2.2 without removing other stuff ?
I don't understand : the 3.2.2 .rom file is 512KB and we have two 512K slots in a 1200. How do I tell Capitoline to use them ? "romprofile" only seems to be for saving. :

If I do need to remove things to make space for ehide, how would I go about learning which components are essential and which ones can go ? Any useful recipes (I find the ones in tests rather basic) ?
Old 08 March 2023, 05:15   #19
reno

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong or is there truly not enough space in 3.2.2 without removing other stuff ?
I don't understand : the 3.2.2 .rom file is 512KB and we have two 512K slots in a 1200. How do I tell Capitoline to use them ? "romprofile" only seems to be for saving. :

If I do need to remove things to make space for ehide, how would I go about learning which components are essential and which ones can go ? Any useful recipes (I find the ones in tests rather basic) ?
Okay, many of my questions are actually answered here. It turns out that creating a 1MB ROM is a much more involved process. I naively thought that Capitoline would automatically set up the second 512KB as an extended ROM for overflow space if I added more components, but that's probably a lot to ask at this point It doesn't even know I'm targeting a 1200 in fact...

Is the linked HowTO directly applicable to 3.2.2 ?
Old 08 March 2023, 08:05   #20
R4M

In principle it should be possible to take a stock ROM, patch it to also look for ROMtags at $E00000 and than assemble all missing Modules into a ROM file which is to be mapped at $E00000.