English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 January 2009, 19:27   #1
moriez
freak on/off

Amiga Forever&Protracker bad sound

Hi,

When I run the ADF of Protracker and play a module the sound is quite messy. It doesnt get played properly and it seems like distortion every now and then. I think it has to do with how Amiga Forever/WinUAE is setup. Any ideas?

Thank you.
Old 05 January 2009, 19:41   #2
DH
Global Moderator

I know TCD has helped you lately, but I must admit I have not come across this problem mate! Are you playing old Protracker mods or more newer ones + it may of been a bad rip too, and this is usually the main cause for sound distortion or sound mismatches within protracker. Maybe try and get the same module from somewhere else to test it.
Old 05 January 2009, 19:45   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Can you enable 'On-screen LEDs' on the 'Miscellaneous' window and tell us what the leftmost led shows (it should flicker around +/- 10 or 20)?
Old 05 January 2009, 20:28   #4
moriez
freak on/off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Are you playing old Protracker mods or more newer ones
Old ones from beginning of 90s. All of them are buggy one way or another. They do get proper playback in Winamp. I downloaded a few ''fresh'' ones from Amiga Music Preservation and its the same bad results. Sometimes Protracker crashes. Samples remain unplayed or get mixed up with other samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Can you enable 'On-screen LEDs' on the 'Miscellaneous' window and tell us what the leftmost led shows (it should flicker around +/- 10 or 20)?
Done that and during loading of Protracker it blinks about every second. During playback of modules it doesnt blink at all. Values show everything between 1 and 9.

I had the same this afternoon with Protracker 3.XX so two corrupted players seems dubious. Noisetracker V1.1 plays its own 8 modules correctly.
Old 05 January 2009, 20:34   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do you just want to edit some modules? You could try MilkyTracker or Fasttracker II with DosBox, which might be a better idea *waits for the first stone thrown at me*
Old 05 January 2009, 20:42   #6
DH
Global Moderator

@moriez
Have you tried using the original WinUAE A1200 setup, and ran it that way just to rule out the Amigaforever package.

I have no problems whatsoever under WinUAE alone (A1200 setup), runs like a dream, best way to convert to MP3 too (in real time)

@TCD
But maybe you have a point there, Renoise is a cool editor too
Old 05 January 2009, 20:51   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TCD
But maybe you have a point there, Renoise is a cool editor too
Yeah, but sadly it's not for free
Old 05 January 2009, 21:04   #8
moriez
freak on/off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Do you just want to edit some modules? You could try MilkyTracker or Fasttracker II with DosBox, which might be a better idea *waits for the first stone thrown at me*
Duck! And heres another one!

I just want to mess around with the old lovely protracker and could never get used to all those pc trackers and other software. Im too lazy too learn it.

Well, guess what. Protracker V3.61 does work! Ill stick with that one for now I guess although it doesnt look quite as good as the one I want to use.

Quote:
@moriez
Have you tried using the original WinUAE A1200 setup, and ran it that way just to rule out the Amigaforever package.
I think you mean the raw deal WinUAE. I bought the amigaforever to make it that easy on myself cause again, I want to cut to the chase and not spend a month finding out how it works you know. I would lose it Im sure. I take it youre not using Amiga Forever? Cause I can choose from certain configs like a1200+8mb, a500+2mb, af_3x(rom), cd32 roms. Would that make a difference?

Oh, and one other things that bugs me. Everytime I run a game or load Protracker I have to set my preferences again in Amiga Forever. They are never saved. How can I tackle this?
Old 05 January 2009, 21:09   #9
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
I bought the amigaforever to make it that easy on myself cause again, I want to cut to the chase and not spend a month finding out how it works you know. I would lose it Im sure. I take it youre not using Amiga Forever? Cause I can choose from certain configs like a1200+8mb, a500+2mb, af_3x(rom), cd32 roms. Would that make a difference?
Do all this in the raw WinUAE, it's all there so long as you have all the necessary roms 'n' stuff. I think you'll find the general Amigaforever WinAUE setup is exactly what I have mate! The only difference is that I had to start from scratch to create my HDD and install workbench, but that was all part of the fun
Old 05 January 2009, 21:10   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
Oh, and one other things that bugs me. Everytime I run a game or load Protracker I have to set my preferences again in Amiga Forever. They are never saved. How can I tackle this?
Use WinUAE and save your config You have the quickstart options, which are quite the same as you see them in Amiga Forever and you can adjust it as you like and then save it. It's not that hard (no month needed ) and you don't have to set up everything again.
Old 05 January 2009, 21:18   #11
moriez
freak on/off

Aaargh..

.. to be continued!

Thanks so far fellas.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:08   #12
moriez
freak on/off

Before I go to bed I was giving it another try and it paid off! The configuration in Quick start in Amiga Forever should be set to Amiga500 + A501 Expansion instead of the standard A1200 + 8MB fast ram.

Now it works like a bleedin charm!

Old 06 January 2009, 01:13   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yay Good to hear you got it sorted mate
I hope you don't forget about us and visit us from time to time
Old 06 January 2009, 01:18   #14
moriez
freak on/off

Well a Vbulletin board about Amiga and kind help on the first day of registration. This site is bookmarked and I will check in definitely!

Goodnight mate.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:26   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

That's how we do it here You'll see that there are always interesting thread to read and people that will help you
Good night for you too mate