English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 26 April 2008, 13:14   #1
Groundhog

Other installs

Hi, I just tried ClassicWB today and I already have a prob, for the first thing I'm trying to do.

If I understood correctly, "Games" & "Demos" drawers are for WHDLoad installs only, and "Other" is for non-WHDLoad installs. Ok, good idea.

No problem with the automated WHDLoad installation detection and execution, but...

I installed a game (without WHDLoad, Starflight II), updated the "Other" text file manually, with the correct directory, and even sorted it with your script, which shouldn't be necessary since there's only one entry. The name appears in the lazylaunch window thing, but when executed, with the "Full" config, nothing happens. And with an AdvSP config -> Guru.

The game is perfectly working when launched manually, and I'm sure the directory is set up properly.

FYI, I'm using WinUAE, not a real amiga. A-Games, A-Demos and a newly created A-Other are now pointing at a harddisk directory (but with the same structure for A-Games & A-Demos, and, as I said, there's no problem for WHDLoad installations). I'm rather sure the aliases and directories were set up correctly.

Last edited by Groundhog; 26 April 2008 at 13:41.
Old 27 April 2008, 19:15   #2
Bloodwych

Hi Groundhog. Sounds as though you're using everything correctly.

Yes, the "other" script and file are just for your own manual links. They can launch anything you wish, or programs from an "other" drawer that you've decided to setup.

The format to the icon should not include the ".info" on the end. I don't have access to check at the moment as I'm on my laptop, but if you look at the WHDLoad links that were added by the auto-scripts, I'm sure they don't include the .info on the end of the icons.

Perhaps that's the issue?

There is no reason why manual links setup in the other file should fail if they are using the same format as outlined in the lazybench help file, which is a simple link to their location.

Yes you're right, the sort script is only for positioning your manual links in alphebetical order so they appear that way when lazybench launches.
Old 27 April 2008, 22:35   #3
Groundhog

Hi Bloodwych. Great name BTW. Did you know that I finished you and your brother when I was a kid ?

First, thanks for your work.

No, I didn't link to the .info file, but to the executable. And I've got news :

Sometimes it works.

I reset the Amiga, launch the game using lazybench and it works half the time. With the same manipulations and approximately the same timing. (It doesn't work with the AdvSP config but I got a guru half the time too, so maybe it's just a config problem.)

I thought it might be because I tried too soon, but that's not the case.

Any idea ? That's really odd. An Amiga (or PC) cache problem maybe ?

Edit : Another thing. Once it works, it will work every time in the same session. And if it doesn't work, it will never work in the same session.

Last edited by Groundhog; 27 April 2008 at 22:42.
Old 27 April 2008, 23:02   #4
Groundhog

I've got some other news.

I installed another game: Starflight. Which doesn't come with an installer but a simple copy of the files and an added little lauching script are enough.

I did exactly the same thing. And the link are working every time. So I guess the problem is only related to "Starflight 2". Could you explain that ?

BTW, when I add a link to the text file and then run lazybench, it doesn't appear immediatly in the window. Is there a way to force the update ?

And while we are here, is there some documentation on internet for general operations with the workbench ? I owned an Amiga, but that was a looong time ago. I still have some basic knowledge but not enough for my liking.
Old 27 April 2008, 23:35   #5
Bloodwych

Hmm. Strange. Perhaps the space in the name is causing a problem. Have you tried placing the troublesome link in quotes? It's probably not the issue however, as I think in the lazybench help file it states quotes are not necessary (again I could be wrong as I'm on my laptop and can't check).

The way to force the update is to switch to demos or games, then back to other. The file is cached in ram so it re-opens really quickly, but when you update the other list the one cached in ram isn't replaced. Switching between other lists will fix that.

My bad really, I should have put a delete line in the scripts to remove the old file from ram: when run. Then all you'd have to do is run the sort script to refresh the ram:

I'll put it on the to-do list.

Bloodwych is great and it's always nice to hear from another fan.

As for guides, check out the FAQ in yellow at the top of the forum.
Old 28 April 2008, 00:50   #6
Groundhog

In short :

In fact, I removed the spaces in the path in the first place. I know how these little things can be dangerous.

For the lists and the cache, good idea, please do so !

Definitely a Bloodwych fan, both the game and the guy. I also remember "Eye of Beholder I & II", "Black Crypt", and of course "Dungeon Master & CSB". I also loved the SSI games (I love AD&D). They are all in the "best games of my life" list. And I had a bunch of different computers.

For the Amiga FAQ link, thanks. I didn't notice the big yellow blinking thing with the big red arrows screaming "HELLO I'M HERE". Not enough for me.