English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 April 2019, 19:44   #21
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Apart from doing such device just for fun i can't see any good use nowadays for only a CD-Drive.
I removed the CD drive from my A4000. There is so little space and with an ethernet card it's kind of redundant.
Old 25 April 2019, 13:03   #22
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
A standard laptop drive can still do CDDA? I have the impression that it typically is done in software with modern laptops.
It's usually possible with PATA drives. SATA will be digital only.
Old 25 April 2019, 13:04   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
You're probably right. I should throw all my Amiga CDs in the trash then, since I don't have a CD drive that I can connect to my A1200.
Mine are all ISO mounted with diskimage.device over smbfs. Faster to use (instant random access) and more convenient than digging through a big pile of CDs.
Old 25 April 2019, 20:32   #24
Mick

My suggestion would be to integrate a 2.5"/3.5" hard drive caddy into it.
Old 25 April 2019, 21:27   #25
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Mine are all ISO mounted with diskimage.device over smbfs. Faster to use (instant random access) and more convenient than digging through a big pile of CDs.
For me it's not so convenient. I have to go into the workshop, turn on the PC and wait 2 minutes for it to boot up and connect to the network. Then there's the time spent copying all those CDs, more precious space used up on the PC's hard drive, and finally I would miss out on the 'retro' experience of working with physical CDs (the most important part!).

I also have doubts as to how well this would work with bootable CDs, and it obviously won't work with audio CDs. Not the ideal solution for those of us who want to do all the things we used to do when we had a CDROM drive on our Amiga.
Old 25 April 2019, 23:30   #26
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I also have doubts as to how well this would work with bootable CDs,

Bootable CDs? I'm pretty sure there's no such magic in classic Amigas... right?
Old 26 April 2019, 02:49   #27
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap View Post
Bootable CDs? I'm pretty sure there's no such magic in classic Amigas... right?
Of course there is, they just like any other disks with a startup sequence so long as your roms have drivers for the cd drive and know how to boot from it (CDTV, A570 on A500, CD32 etc). I'm sure with the right tweaks to a custom rom any Amiga would be capable of it.
Old 26 April 2019, 15:24   #28
Marchie

Playing CD32 games on the 1200 with CD audio would be cool.
Old 26 April 2019, 23:07   #29
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Playing CD32 games on the 1200 with CD audio would be cool.
The main issue will be mixing the audio, as this will have to be done externally.

Only reason I've opted for a 5.25" drive with a headphone jack.
Old 27 April 2019, 10:21   #30
Wachi

Lightbulb

The problem of mixing audio could be solved with something like this, which fits perfectly in the box.

https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.c...t.aspx?id=1968
Old 29 April 2019, 06:02   #31
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
The main issue will be mixing the audio, as this will have to be done externally.

How does the CD32 do it?

I assume this was (yet) another function of the Akiko chip? (which I would think should be included in any 1200 CD drive if you want CD32 compatability)
Old 01 May 2019, 08:42   #32
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

The CD32 uses a separate DAC to decode CD audio, LC78835M (U31). And by using two op-amps (one for each channel) to mix it with the other audio from the Paula chip.
Old 24 June 2019, 15:19   #33
mgfalc

Hi all, I'm the guy working on the external CD drive for the Amiga 1200. I've created a Facebook group page called Amiga CDnest Project [CD1200] which you are more than welcome to join to see updates! I'm originally from Scotland, but live in Australia.

The case is currently 3D printed / metal fabricated but I'm currently exploring options to injection mould. The interface is currently IDE, using a neat IDE cable, however I am exploring eSATA which would be my preference. There was a user by the name of Zetr0 on EAB that I believe got an IDE to SATA adapter working, but I haven't had any luck so far (bought 3 so far, with 2 on order). The 1200 has a really slow IDE interface that most new devices don't seem to support. Any help and feedback is appreciated! Thanks, Marc
Old 28 June 2019, 15:06   #34
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfalc View Post
Hi all, I'm the guy working on the external CD drive for the Amiga 1200. I've created a Facebook group page called Amiga CDnest Project [CD1200] which you are more than welcome to join to see updates! I'm originally from Scotland, but live in Australia.

The case is currently 3D printed / metal fabricated but I'm currently exploring options to injection mould. The interface is currently IDE, using a neat IDE cable, however I am exploring eSATA which would be my preference. There was a user by the name of Zetr0 on EAB that I believe got an IDE to SATA adapter working, but I haven't had any luck so far (bought 3 so far, with 2 on order). The 1200 has a really slow IDE interface that most new devices don't seem to support. Any help and feedback is appreciated! Thanks, Marc
Note sure if useful, but I managed to get a slot loading SATA ODD to work on the Amiga using this with IDEFix97:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-Fema...72.m2749.l2649

The difficult part for me was setting the Master/Slave correctly since on both this and my CF card adapter the header was unlabelled so it took some trial and error.

The downside to this though is CD32 audio is lost but I got it to at least boot/run a game.