English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 11 November 2019, 14:10   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

ClassicWB SD on eBay

I don't care about legality here, but taking credit for iGame and bunch of other stuff, plus selling card with 2K games and other stuff... what surprises me is that 12 of them has been sold.

You know, it has to be someone who frequently visits EAB...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-SD-Car...-/123839287740

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-SD-Car...UAAOSwOwJdG10X

Really??
Old 11 November 2019, 14:28   #2
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Legally, they could only sell it as a "blank SD card" assuming they dont have any distribution rights.

Vapourware is a copyright myth.

but ....it's ebay.

Trying to be fair on the seller, I can't see them "taking credit" for iGame, just stating it's installed.

The only thing they're taking credit for is the time it's taken to put the collection together and delete duplicates. Which may or may not be due.

But no...legally, they would be wise to change the wording IMHO.

But again....it's ebay. The land where people try and charge $200 USD for a COPY of Gods bahahahahaha

At least this guy isn't one of THOSE
Old 11 November 2019, 14:42   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Check video and video comments.
Old 11 November 2019, 15:12   #4
tero

A bit down in the 'similar items' part are several ClassicWB setups, os3.9 and that coffinos for vampire (based on 3.9). the latter is described as 'released to the public domain. I doubt that 3.9 is public domain nowadays.

Last edited by tero; 11 November 2019 at 15:29.
Old 12 November 2019, 03:16   #5
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Check video and video comments.
Didn't realise there was a video.

Watching it (not all if it as......no) where does he take credit for iGame? Or in the comments?

Just looks like he's showing how to use it.

I'm not saying what he's doing is 100% legit but.....

I can't see where he's "taking credit"

Someone thanks him for it in comments, to which he says "Glad you have found it useful and you like the card."

I guess where I stand on this one is, I've seen FAR worse offenses on ebay. This guy is selling an "SD card" at a very slightly inflated price, with a useful setup on it.

Legalities aside, personally, I dont take issue with it. Not at that price anyway.

I guess a more standup citizen of the community would just make a downloadable .zip available for free, to be fair.

Just breaking down his advert further: (not the whole add, just relevant parts)

"This is for a 16GB SD card (and SD card case) ONLY which is loaded with masses of software for your Amiga 1200. "

I'd add a single comma to that, making it:
"This is for a 16GB SD card (and SD card case) ONLY, which is loaded with masses of software for your Amiga 1200."

Next:
"Enormous efforts have gone into making this hard drive setup easy to use, WHDLoad games have been renamed so that there aren’t any special characters used, screenshot images added, games genres added, top games added to the favorites filter and more… This makes games easier to navigate and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable."

I dont know about these setups myself, but if this truley is a custom setup with the work that HE has put in to refine it, I take no issue here. Just using AF myself and Downloading games, it can be a pain in the backside weeding through copies that dont work, to find ones that do, and renaming accordingly etc etc.
Getting into the WHDLoad side of things can be even harder and time consuming.

Next:
"For this to work on a real Amiga 1200 you require the following:

ROM version 3.0 or higher
At least 4MB FAST RAM Expansion (8MB for optimum WHDLoad performance)
44 PIN SD card adapter
44 PIN IDE cable
SD card adapters and cable are all low cost and readily available on eBay, Amazon and other online retailers."

Open, honest, and informative.

Next:
"To use this legitimately you must own a valid copy of Workbench 3.0 or 3.1 although if you own an Amiga 1200 you should also own a copy of workbench 3.0 or 3.1 as all Amiga 1200s came with a copy of Workbench."

Accurate but I'd personally state that you should ALSO own original copies of ANY licensed software contained within the package.

So for me, he's not taking credit where it's not due (unless I'm wrong and he's just downloaded someone else's work) and he's not charging a fortune, but no, he does not legally have any rights to distribute either.

So I guess counter to your original post, the legalities are the MOST important issue on this one. (happy to be corrected as I really dont know much about these packages and if this exact one would be available for DL for free somewhere)

Not arguing with you for the sake of disagreeing btw I just see another side to this one, based on far far worse and crazy offenders, like people selling copied games as anything other than "blank DD disks", and at CRAZY prices. Or that fake A2000 Keyboard (A Windows Keyboard with an A2000 badge) etc etc.

Last edited by 005AGIMA; 12 November 2019 at 03:35.