English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 January 2020, 15:17   #1
gbasource

Amiga 1200 not detecting 8gb compact flash

I followed a youtube video that shows how to set up the partitions etc and get classic work bench and whdload installed onto my 8gb compact flash card using winuae. The video had me using the sfs file system and everything seems to of installed correctly with classic workbench loading up on winuae, and whdload loading all the games. When I plug it into my card adapter and boot up the amiga 1200 it does not load up the flash card. I ran hdtoolbox in winuae and the compact flash card shows up as scsi. Its really frustrating me. Ive seen mentions on the forum about installing a patch. The only patch the video had me install was one called nsdpatch. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 18 January 2020, 15:33   #2
lesta_smsc

Possible that CF is not compatible
Old 18 January 2020, 17:19   #3
Dustyarddog
Officially retro

Or maybe a faulty adaptor. I had this issue, replaced adaptor with known working one and it fired straight up.

My faulty adaptor was new and arrived doa. I have read of others having the same issue.
Old 19 January 2020, 03:11   #4
-Acid-

This might sound very basic, but have you checked your ide cable is properly connected to the ide port? It's very easy to miss a full row of pins out especially when the metal sheilding is in place.
Old 19 January 2020, 13:48   #5
solarmon

Was the IDE interface working previously?
Old 19 January 2020, 14:38   #6
gbasource

It was the first time I had connected it to the amiga and I made sure the ide cable was connected properly. I started from scratch and followed a different video that has you creating the partitions using the pfs file system and installing customworkbench with whdload. I plugged it into the amiga and it now shows a black screen. The amiga wont come on properly until I unplug the ide cable. Ive pretty much gave up on trying to get this to work. I noticed in the videos that they used a 4gb compact flash where I used a 8gb flash instead. Wether this is what the problem is im not sure but ive looked in cex for one and they dont have one near me. I guess I could order one online from them then they could just send it from one of the stores that does have one in stock but im scared of it coming then not working again. Guess its worth a go for a couple of quid though then if it doesnt work with the 4gb one ill just say forget it
Old 19 January 2020, 18:08   #7
Dustyarddog
Officially retro

I use transcend 4 and 8 gb x133 and both are fine. The 4gb cost less than a fiver delivered on a well know auction site.

This is the error I got and it was due to a faulty cf to ide adaptor. I swapped this for a known good one and all was fine.

Btw, Have you tried leaving it on the black screen for a good few minutes? If so, what does it do?
Old 19 January 2020, 18:31   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Sounds like a faulty adapter to me, lots of them cheap Chinese adapters are soldered poorly, try another one, probably the CF is fine.
Old 20 January 2020, 14:37   #9
gbasource

When I set the compact flash up using the pfsaio file system, thats when I get the black screen. I left it a while and you can hear humming from the tv. I tried an amiga 500 plug on it and it did the same. I then started again from scratch and did it using the sfs file system. The amiga 1200 loaded up to the purple screen where its asking to insert a disk. I restarted and booted into the boot options by holding down the 2 mouse buttons and i noticed that my partitions I had made DH0 and DH1 wasnt even showing in the list. While installing everything using the sfs file system, the tutorial had me install a patch called nsdpatch43_20.
Old 20 January 2020, 14:49   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbasource View Post
When I set the compact flash up using the pfsaio file system, thats when I get the black screen. I left it a while and you can hear humming from the tv. I tried an amiga 500 plug on it and it did the same. I then started again from scratch and did it using the sfs file system. The amiga 1200 loaded up to the purple screen where its asking to insert a disk. I restarted and booted into the boot options by holding down the 2 mouse buttons and i noticed that my partitions I had made DH0 and DH1 wasnt even showing in the list. While installing everything using the sfs file system, the tutorial had me install a patch called nsdpatch43_20.
Really does sound like a faulty adapter, buy another to rule this out. Failing that could be an issue with the Amiga.
Old 20 January 2020, 15:33   #11
gbasource

I was thinking of trying a 4gb compact flash like they do in the videos then if no luck try another adapter. The adapter I used was from amiga kit and came sealed in a silver bag. I checked the pins and they all look fine. Ive noticed theres a jumper on the adapter. The compact flash card I used was 8gb Lexar professional 233x 8gb UDMA. I have noticed a card compatibility thread on the forum that says a sandisk extreme III 4gb works. I am able to get one of those so i will try that card along with another adapter and let you know how I get on.

Last edited by gbasource; 20 January 2020 at 15:45.
Old 20 January 2020, 17:31   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Good luck. Amigakit usually test their stuff so maybe it is an incompatible CF after all. 8gb should work fine though with PFS3aio you don't need any further patches. Maybe use that one as extra storage in the PCMCIA slot FAT32 if it works there.
Old 20 January 2020, 17:42   #13
solarmon

Post some clear pictures of your setup and how you have everything connected.

Some CF cards, regardless of adapter, are simply not compatible. But the adapter needs to be ruled out too as they can be badly made and pins shorting or not connected.

Assuming you are using Windows, to set it up in WinUAE, what device name/ID is shown for the card in Device Manager?
Old 20 January 2020, 18:48   #14
Dustyarddog
Officially retro

Transcend 4 and 8gb x133 both work fine too. May be another option for you if your going to buy another cf card.
Old 20 January 2020, 19:04   #15
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Post some clear pictures of your setup and how you have everything connected.
Nooo! The problem might actually get solved that way
Old 20 January 2020, 19:22   #16
gbasource

The compact flash card I used comes up as Generic USB CF Reader USB device when i connect it to my usb card reader on windows.
Old 20 January 2020, 19:37   #17
gbasource

Heres the pics of the cf reader and the compact flash card used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compactflash1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	65952   Click image for larger version

Name:	compactflash2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	65953  
Old 20 January 2020, 20:25   #18
solarmon

The first image it to blurry to make out the condition of the soldered pins. Please could you provide a closer and more clear picture of it.

Also, show how you have connected it to your A1200.
Old 20 January 2020, 21:35   #19
gbasource

I wasnt sure which pins you wanted to take a look at so I did a few more photos. Ive also done a photo of the way round I have the ide ribbon when its connected up to the amiga. I would of done a photo of how it looked when plugged inside but my amiga is all put back together now and at the time of typing this im really really tired from not getting much sleep with stopping up late trying to get the thing working lol so im too tired to be opening up computers. But the one photo ive attached shows you the way i have the ide ribbon when i plug it in. Ive tried my best not to get the pictures blurry this time but the camera on my phone has an automatic focus thing on it. Ive looked at all the pins where the ide ribbon plugs into and where the cf card plugs into and they all look straight and the top row looks straight and perfectly in line with the bottom row. Hopefully you can make them out from the pics with my cameras annoying automatic focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compactflash3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	65954   Click image for larger version

Name:	compactflash4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	65955   Click image for larger version

Name:	compactflash5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	65956  
Old 20 January 2020, 22:18   #20
solarmon

Not really much clearer to be honest.

I think you are just going to have to get another CF card and/or adapter and see if it makes a difference.