English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 11 February 2016, 10:14   #1
Jope
-

Amiga on a WQHD screen

Hah,

I treated myself to a new WQHD screen, I needed one with HDMI and VGA, mainly for PC use. So I chose the cheapest screen with HDMI, VGA and WQHD, the Asus VX24A. There were barely any specs available, so the main purchase motivators were 1) the connectors 2) the price.

So I carry it into my mancave, enjoy some WQHD action from my laptop.

Then as is customary with any new screen, just for shits and giggles, try it with an Amiga.

So, the A1200 was already running on the table beside it on my old 17" LG via a silver dongle. I took out a long VGA cable and connected it between the dongle + Asus screen, and then..

50Hz/15kHz shows a picture!

More tests are needed, but it looks promising. :-)

Edit: specs https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VX24AH/specifications/ - seems 15kHz horizontal is out of spec, but happens to work with mine. YMMV.

Last edited by Jope; 11 February 2016 at 12:04.
Old 11 February 2016, 10:43   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Always nice to know which modern monitors will work directly with Amiga RGB. As you write, more tests are needed, as I would like to know if scrolling is nice and smooth, if it can stretch the picture to full screen while keeping pixel aspect ratio (black borders on left and right).
Old 22 February 2016, 17:16   #3
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Good thing we got those additional tests. Everything is clear now, and more users can purchase modern monitors.
Old 22 February 2016, 20:30   #4
Jope
-

Haven't had time to mess around with it lately. Here's your money back for the salary you paid so that I'd test it. :-D
Old 23 February 2016, 15:18   #5
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Thanx a million, with that money I can now buy this monitor I know everything about
Old 05 March 2016, 13:39   #6
Jope
-

Ok, more tests.

The monitor seems to run pal, ntsc, multiscan, euro72 and super72, both laced and interlaced.

It gets a good signal sample of pal superhires, resulting in a nice clear picture.

Unfortunately it always gets the field order wrong with laced screen modes. The monitor doesn't perform any deinterlacing, but it looks bad in any case.

Some screen mode transitions require the user to auto-adjust the picture through the menus, the monitor can't distinguish between all of them automatically.

http://jope.fi/amiga/asusvx24a/ for more pictures.

Last edited by Jope; 05 March 2016 at 13:55.
Old 05 March 2016, 20:39   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Looks quite good except for the laced ones. I was thinking if maybe reversing the polarity of hsync would change anything here? You probably can't test it if you don't have an adapter with those switches, but it could be interesting if it makes it work.

How about stretching the image to full screen, is that not possible at all?
Old 05 March 2016, 22:45   #8
Jope
-

Full mode is selectable in the menus. http://jope.fi/amiga/asusvx24a/pal_fullmode.jpg

In full mode all image processing artifacts become a lot more pronounced, for example you can see odd ghost lines in the window/screen depth gadgets, as if the individual raster lines are ghosted to the next ones.

It is also notable that if you adjust the width/phase with a 50% dither pattern so that there is no banding, the image ends up too wide, so you get flat circles. If you adjust it back so that the circles in games are round, then you have to deal with banding too.

50hz scrollers are buttery smooth, it's a real joy to watch one frame stuff on this display. The panel also seems to be fast enough that the scrollers don't have very bad trails after them, but I'll have to watch some more demos on it to be sure. In any case moving objects look nicer than with any of my other 50Hz capable TFT screens, all of which have old slow TN panels in them.
Old 06 March 2016, 00:53   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
and on games, what results is it bringing ?
Old 06 March 2016, 02:04   #10
turrican9

I stick to my two BenQ BL 702A monitors using RGB to VGA for gaming. I prefer them over any CRT I've tried or any LED screen tried with my Indy scandoublers.

But it's nice to know what other monitors works with Amiga RGB.
Old 06 March 2016, 07:16   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
and on games, what results is it bringing ?
Well I don't know what more to say apart from what I already said. Smooth scrollers, not much trailing. Aspect ratio adjustable with the caveat of getting irregular scaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
I stick to my two BenQ BL 702A monitors using RGB to VGA for gaming. I prefer them over any CRT I've tried or any LED screen tried with my Indy scandoublers.

But it's nice to know what other monitors works with Amiga RGB.
Yep, this is not an "everyone go and buy this now!" thread, this is just my findings on a monitor I bought, which just happened to work with the Amiga. :-)

--

I also tested High GFX and HD720, but the monitor didn't sync.

Last edited by Jope; 06 March 2016 at 07:57.