English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 02 March 2007, 08:45   #21
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by superBuster
slightly OT, but the tosec nameing is acualy quite weak, I hate the long drawn out names with spaces and ever illegal char that you can think of. It actualy hard to use in linux and amiga, you would think that a group with oldschool in the name would take some old os rules into account. Maybe it time for something a little bit more practical? Imean does ever detail have to be in the name of can some thing be embeded like in an mp3?
On dangerous ground there.. I mean.. criticising TOSEC is an offence likely to get you neutered around here!!

Seriously tho... I like the IDEA of embedding file details.. of course that would mean file CRCs change and of course that would mean either some whizzy new tool needed or major downloading of "new" collections!! I guess it will need some clever coder to tell us if it can be done.
Old 02 March 2007, 08:55   #22
BippyM
Global Moderator

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=7263
Old 02 March 2007, 13:34   #23
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Bip, interesting debate... I actually read it all.. but your last post (before closure) made no sense...

I can see its been thought of before.. and I won't get worried about it half as much as I do about all those Alts in the TOSEC data!!
Old 02 March 2007, 13:46   #24
BippyM
Global Moderator

lol I think it's meant to say manager (as in rom manager) though it was a looong time ago!
Old 02 March 2007, 18:27   #25
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
The concept of TOSEC is cool and I respect the work done. The info should not all be in the name, frankly that a silly idea as it makes for insanely long names.
Old 15 March 2007, 12:37   #26
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

The TOSEC site might be down but the two files that were floating around today makes me think there may be life in the old war horse yet

TOSEC_New_&_Updated_Only_(TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM).zip
TOSEC_DAT_Collection_-_Complete_(TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM).zip

Long live TOSEC
Old 15 March 2007, 14:57   #27
retrogamer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aral
The TOSEC site might be down but the two files that were floating around today makes me think there may be life in the old war horse yet

TOSEC_New_&_Updated_Only_(TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM).zip
TOSEC_DAT_Collection_-_Complete_(TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM).zip

Long live TOSEC
Where can I get these two files?

Edit: Fount it!

http://darkside.rommanager.com/tosec.html

Last edited by retrogamer; 15 March 2007 at 15:18.
Old 15 March 2007, 15:16   #28
Ultron
Something

I don't understand one thing... are changes still made to the Amiga Tosec? Are they only released with new Tosec files? The Amiga team doesn't release them by themselves?

The MAME "tosec" is released with each MAME release, so they clearly aren't dependednt on the Tosec crew, why should the Amiga be as well? Why aren't the .dats released right here, period?

The Tosec project has become such a clusterfuck that i can't see why anything should be dependent on them, at any rate they can't even keep a website up...
Old 15 March 2007, 15:29   #29
Ian
Global Moderator

Any Amiga dats been updated.

Sods law says there is as I have just 7zipped most of the files to save a little space on my HD.

CLRMAME will still scan them alright, but won't rename anything inside the blasted 7zip file.
Old 15 March 2007, 15:48   #30
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
I don't understand one thing... are changes still made to the Amiga Tosec? Are they only released with new Tosec files? The Amiga team doesn't release them by themselves?

The MAME "tosec" is released with each MAME release, so they clearly aren't dependednt on the Tosec crew, why should the Amiga be as well? Why aren't the .dats released right here, period?

The Tosec project has become such a clusterfuck that i can't see why anything should be dependent on them, at any rate they can't even keep a website up...
They are also at http://www.romshepherd.com

TOSEC doesn't just have Amiga dats it has 712 odd dats for a couple hundred computers and consoles.

If you took out the TOSEC set what would you be left with? Cowerings Good sets and No-Intro sets. Cowerings do not cater for the Amiga and No-Intro only has the SPS collection. Without the TOSEC set how would we catalogue our sets?

Honestly i couldn't give a shit if theTOSEC naming convention is flawed, the TOSEC internet site was up or TIM mysterously started cataloging sets correctly. These dats that TOSEC pump out every so often help thousands of people catalogue their romsets. Nothing more nothing less.

Also the hundreds of people who waste their time dumping and renaming sets for everyones enjoyment need to be congratulated. Without their commitment we would still be hording floppy disks wondering what to do with them

Old 15 March 2007, 16:24   #31
Ultron
Something

Really dude, it's like i sent a letter to a Politician about water network problems, and your secretary just sent me a letter about how your green policy is going to save koalas on the other side of the world. Did you even read my post?

The Amiga .dats in there are from the middle of last year. Have any updates been done since? If they do exist why do they have to wait for the rest of the TOSEC? Why aren't they released in here? MAME doesn't wait for TOSEC. Even worse why be dependent on people who can't even keep a website up to release them?

Although i get the feeling i'm just going to get another typeletter on your inner city kids policy or anything but the questions adressed.

Old 15 March 2007, 16:31   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultron
The Amiga .dats in there are from the middle of last year. Have any updates been done since? If they do exist why do they have to wait for the rest of the TOSEC?
Well I have renamed a couple thousand adf's since last year, and i Have the dats etc, but they are renamer dats, and are not public!

Best to see if Idoru will let these be spread about.. in fact i'm gonna beat him with a pole
Old 15 March 2007, 16:39   #33
Ultron
Something

I just wanted to whop some unknowns with Romcenter.

Thanks for all the hard work. Hopefully the situation will be regularised soon.
Old 15 March 2007, 16:42   #34
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
.. in fact i'm gonna beat him with a pole
Pick one

Old 15 March 2007, 16:42   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

I know the feeling mate.. I still have thousands of unknown adf's and ppl keep sending me them
Old 15 March 2007, 16:49   #36
Ultron
Something

That's one of the problems, no one knows what's unknown and what isn't. Some people may be dumping stuff that's already out there thinking it isn't, creating dupes, alternates, modifies...
Old 15 March 2007, 16:52   #37
BippyM
Global Moderator

well i don't mind creating dats of all my unknown shit, which I intend to get round to renaming.... one day!

I just gotta figure out where it all is as I have 3 HD's with shite oN!
Old 15 March 2007, 17:17   #38
[idoru]

Quote:
The Amiga .dats in there are from the middle of last year. Have any updates been done since? If they do exist why do they have to wait for the rest of the TOSEC? Why aren't they released in here? MAME doesn't wait for TOSEC. Even worse why be dependent on people who can't even keep a website up to release them?
ALL the dats in the TOSEC set are the NEWEST dats. I have not made any Amiga dats since the dats in that pack.

As an aside, since when has MAME & TOSEC had anything to do with each other ?
Old 15 March 2007, 17:18   #39
[idoru]

and incidentally, http://www.tosec.org works...
Old 15 March 2007, 17:30   #40
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
anything I can do? I have a bunch of TOSC and .adf 's but I can't make sense of it all. Maybe we can create an amiga only database. We could use the info from TOSEC but maybe inprove the way it set up? Based on what worked and does not work with the tosec aproach? I appreciate all the work done, thats for sure