English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 25 February 2009, 01:27   #1
Amiga1992

CF-IDE not working on A1200 - HALP!

This is a weeeird problem and is doing my head in.

I have been using this A1200 (Rev 1D.1) with my A600 hard drive no problems.

Now I been trying to use a CF-IDE adapter to no avail and it's doing my head in.

I got two of them devices, which look like this:

This is exactly the same model I used to have and used to work.

When connected, they remain with their red light on and the A1200 doesn't detect them (takes time at boot up as if it had nothing there, then comes up with kickstart screen).

I tried messing the jumpers and nothing.
I plugged and unplugged them and nothing.

I had this problem happening before my old A1200 had its IDE busted. That adapter used to work fine.

Is it a case of really bad luck and I got two dud adapters?

What can I do past this point?

Oh, I am using a 3GB Transcend card proved to work before, also tested on WinUAW, also tested with another 256MB card, same thing, card tested again on WinUAE (both are RDB formatted and ready to go)
Old 25 February 2009, 02:28   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
When connected, they remain with their red light on and the A1200 doesn't detect them (takes time at boot up as if it had nothing there, then comes up with kickstart screen).
Hi Akira,

If the red light stays on in each case and the A1200 takes a while to boot up as if nothing was connected there, it sounds like they are not connected properly to the IDE bus.

Either you have only got one row of pins connected to the socket instead of both (unlikely that this would happen every time), or you have got the adapters connected the wrong way round.

prowler
Old 25 February 2009, 02:35   #3
Amiga1992

I connected them the same way I used to connect the old one. CF card pointing to the right (looking at the Amiga from the front.). The adapter certainly has no "!" marking :P

If I connected them the wrong way round, I would have burned the CF card, for I would be feeding electricity to the wrong pins!

Could it just be a case of a bad connection?
I can try without the adapter cable but I doubt the cable is faulty...
Old 25 February 2009, 02:47   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I connected them the same way I used to connect the old one. CF card pointing to the right (looking at the Amiga from the front.). The adapter certainly has no "!" marking :P

If I connected them the wrong way round, I would have burned the CF card, for I would be feeding electricity to the wrong pins!
Yes, you are right about this. I had forgotten it was the 44-pin connector which incorporates the power feed and not the 40-pin connector - less fussy in this respect.

Quote:
Could it just be a case of a bad connection?
I can try without the adapter cable but I doubt the cable is faulty...
I would say it's *got* to be a bad connection if all the components are known good ones. I just can't tell where the bad connection is...

Sorry if this is not much help.
Old 25 February 2009, 02:51   #5
Amiga1992

You are right, my good frined!

I connected it straight and it worked.
It's the bloody cable I bought from Amigakit. Not very reliable, it was lasted less than a couple of months!!!!

Now I wonder if this was the original reason why my IDE got fucked at the older motherboard....

I need a new cable one... sheesh... not ordering an Amigakit one again!
Now that I remember, I never tested it. It came failed! Good one, Amigakit .
I just tried it with a hard drive, it doesnt power up. Something's really bad with thecable.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 25 February 2009 at 02:57.
Old 25 February 2009, 03:04   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
You are right, my good frined!

I connected it straight and it worked.
It's the bloody cable I bought from Amigakit. Not very reliable, it was lasted less than a couple of months!!!!
Well I'm glad you've got that sorted! Bad connections can be a nightmare to find.

Quote:
Now I wonder if this was the original reason why my IDE got fucked at the older motherboard...
Can you be sure the old motherboard's IDE really is dead now?
Old 25 February 2009, 03:07   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Can you be sure the old motherboard's IDE really is dead now?
No, I'm not, but it will be tested.
I really traded it for a low value item because I thought it non-working but Athleos will figure it out in case it works 100%, he's a good chap and we will work things out

I would be really pissed off if I didn't have a new computer... I still got lying around a motherboard that was sent to me and doesn't work. Fortunately my friend The C-Men gave me one of his computers ;D