English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2007, 11:27   #21
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootoid
Does the Amiga have any tools for disk checking then? In which case how long does it take to check 3GB of files on an A1200 for example? Wouldn't the disk have gone rusty and seized up by the time it finished?
I'd recommend putting the HDD in your PC and prep/format/check/scan/whatever from within WinUAE. It's a hell of a lot quicker, and it's much easier to setup with access to the PC drives as well.

I'd also recommend using Smart File System instead of the Amiga's standard Fast File System, as it's much faster, more stable and a hell of a lot more reliable.

I did a guide on putting your Miggy HD in Winuae and installing SFS. It's available here:

http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:killergo...winuae_realhdd
Old 21 March 2007, 11:38   #22
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

KG: You shouldn't forget that it also takes time to remove the HD from the Amiga and put it in the PC. So if he only wants to check/format it, I would still do that on Amiga. For copying much stuff quickly to the PC, I'd use your approach though. That way I made a 1:1 copy of my Amiga HD's some years ago so I could use all my stuff for UAE then.
Old 21 March 2007, 18:12   #23
tootoid

Lopos2000: Thanks for the link to the Blizzard IV for sale.

However, I said I was looking for one and what should appear on amigakit.com but a Blizzard IV '030 so I'd ordered that one.

Spooky really, I've bought quite a bit from there over the last few weeks, I'm sure they're watching me now to see what hardware I'm after. Then they put it up for sale on their site so they can reel me in and empty my wallet. :-)