English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 08 March 2023, 21:36   #221
Grex

@Jacques:

I just remembered, that the "exec.library"-update of OS 3.9 BoingBag 2 does automatically reserve the low-mem. I have no clue if this feature has any benefits on the Amiga-side as well, or if it is just a bonus-feature for Mac-emu-users in order to avoid an additional reset at coldstart.
I haven't been using Mac-emulation for a couple of years now, but as far as I remember, the low-mem-reservation of BB2-exec.library does not work with Fusion (perhaps they have only tested it with ShapeShifter?), but as far as I remember the program "FixPATCHMAC.lha" on Aminet will fix this problem.
Of course it should be wise to avoid any double-patching, i.e. if you want to use the low-mem-reservation of BB2-exec.library then do not use rsrvwarm/rsrvcold/rsrvkick.
Alternatively you could disable the "exec.library"-update in your Startup-Sequence (this update can also cause incompatibilities with some Amiga-software, e.g. the game "Cedric"). In that case, just use rsrvwarm/rsrvcold/rsrvkick as normal.
Old 09 March 2023, 08:02   #222
Thomas Richter

It is not only that exec library, it is pretty much any exec library from v44 onwards which keeps the lowest 32K non-allocated. On the Amiga side, this has no benefits, but MacOs requires the lowest 32K for its "globals" (yes,it has 32K globals compared to AmigaOs, which has only 4 bytes of globals).

There is in that sense no patching needed, just emulators need to be smart enough to "take the memory". For ShapeShifter, a special "value" has to be "deposited" somewhere in that 32K area to tell the emulator that it is free to use it, and that is pretty much all MuMove4K does in such a situation. For Fusion, I do not know what Jim requires, but a reboot is, from a purely technical point, not required.
Old 13 March 2023, 12:08   #223
JimDrew

A reboot is technically required because I install a kicktag and some other things that are required for a real Mac to run. Remember, FUSION is not "an Amiga program".. it is code that gives you a real Mac that just so happens to allow the Amiga to run in the background. It takes precedence over anything and everything and it's *requirements* (like using RsrvMem or RsrvKick, certain MMU setups, etc.) are not optional. There are a SLEW of problems that you will experience if RsrvMem or RsrvKick is not used. This was very evident when the Vampire tried to reserve the lower 4K of memory (which is all that the Mac needs - not 32K).

Last edited by JimDrew; 16 March 2023 at 06:08.
Old 26 June 2023, 02:45   #224
creid2

Hi Everyone-
I came across this thread. I have an emplant and looking for FUSION. Is there anyway to purchase the old version (3.2)? I just visited CMBStuff but only FUSION 4 coming soon is listed. Super excited to try this- I just got my A2000 up and running again and having loads of fun with the old tech. Thanks!
Old 30 June 2023, 02:28   #225
JimDrew

There is no way currently to purchase the older FUSION. I might add that to the website while the work of FUSION 4 continues.
Old 03 July 2023, 03:17   #226
creid2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
There is no way currently to purchase the older FUSION. I might add that to the website while the work of FUSION 4 continues.
Let the thread know if you do!
P.S. this wouldn't deter me at all from also purchasing Fusion 4 when it is available!

Thanks!
Old 23 August 2023, 01:11   #227
arcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Coming soon ? in 2023 ?
Old 23 August 2023, 06:56   #228
Magic

I am waiting too!
Old 08 November 2023, 18:23   #229
Captain_ Kal

Same here!!!!