English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 May 2018, 11:08   #21
touko

Quote:
This is a game running on a 8 bits system with half the CPU speed of an A500, and the whole game is just 256 kbytes:
No the first SOR is a 512 kbytes game, not 256 .

Quote:
Of course, you would need someone to rework graphics, and AFAIK Mr. Applin was doing the whole job alone (for both Amiga and ST in just 6 months which, we have to admit it was an impossible job).
Yes even if the game ended to be bad,and if we taking in account the development time and the general conditions were the game was developed,the result is rather impressive .
I read an interview from richard, and on the amiga no hardware sprites were used, only bobs ones, this is why the players sprites are so slow .

Quote:
Double Dragon 2 has lots of gameplay issues
If i remember correctly, the arcade version has the same flaws.

Last edited by touko; 31 May 2018 at 11:20.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:16   #22
TurboCrash

Neither of those "notable exceptions" is a birds-eye-view beat'em up like final fight, golden axe, river city ransom, double dragon or the great granddad of all birds-eye-view/8 direction beat'em ups Renegade (awfull miggy port, stay away! thou hast be warned!) to name a few.

There's vigilante for the Amiga, never played it on the miggy. That's the closest, that I can remember, to Kung Fu master (great arcade game!).
Link (yeah I had to look it up wasn't sure there was a port)
http://hol.abime.net/1570
Old 31 May 2018, 11:22   #23
touko

Golden axe is a really good conversion, mainly in sound department,this is why i prefer this version over the Md one .
Old 31 May 2018, 11:23   #24
TurboCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
Yes even if the game ended to be bad,and if we taking in account the development time and the general conditions were the game was developed,the result is rather impressive .
Applin's FF is quite amazing considering all the constraints. If they could fix the controls/logic it would even be a playable game.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:27   #25
TurboCrash

Golden Axe on the PC was also a very good conversion, quite an exception considering it was released in 1990.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:37   #26
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCrash View Post

There's vigilante for the Amiga, never played it on the miggy. That's the closest, that I can remember, to Kung Fu master (great arcade game!).
Link (yeah I had to look it up wasn't sure there was a port)
http://hol.abime.net/1570
I just played it on the Amiga - I'll not be doing it again.
Old 31 May 2018, 12:00   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
<snip> but my all time favourite is Kung Fu Master in the arcades which when I've looked never received an Amiga port!

I think I could be inspired enough to code a game based on my love for martial arts movies such as Enter the Dragon, The Raid 1 or 2, Old Boy.

I can't think of any decent Kung Fu games on the Amiga that beats Kung Fu master so I might have a pop at that for a short 3 month project... something like "Kung Fu Master - The Upper Floors" could be good.

Up for debate, are there any better arcade style games on Amiga that beats Kung Fu master?
I too really love Kung Fu Master; your plan sounds awesome!!!
Old 31 May 2018, 12:29   #28
sandruzzo

Quote:
i've never really been a fan of the beat 'em up genre so when double dragon and pretty much everything after it came out i was never inspired that much to play them.

However there are some notable exceptions such as mortal kombat which i loved and played a lot on my snes, but my all time favourite is kung fu master in the arcades which when i've looked never received an amiga port!

I think i could be inspired enough to code a game based on my love for martial arts movies such as enter the dragon, the raid 1 or 2, old boy.

I can't think of any decent kung fu games on the amiga that beats kung fu master so i might have a pop at that for a short 3 month project... Something like "kung fu master - the upper floors" could be good.

Up for debate, are there any better arcade style games on amiga that beats kung fu master?
ik+
Old 31 May 2018, 14:47   #29
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCrash View Post
Applin's FF is quite amazing considering all the constraints. If they could fix the controls/logic it would even be a playable game.
I agree, there is also the fact that the players animations was heavily butchered and ruin the game experience .
Old 31 May 2018, 14:53   #30
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Quote:
I just played it on the Amiga - I'll not be doing it again.
Yeah it's terrible

Someone did a mockup of it on LA

Amiga

Arcade

Last edited by OmegaMax; 31 May 2018 at 15:12.
Old 31 May 2018, 15:14   #31
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
ik+
I think to qualify it would need to involve some side-scrolling.

IK+ wasn't a coin-op either. (I think International Karate was though).
Old 31 May 2018, 15:16   #32
sandruzzo

Quote:
I think to qualify it would need to involve some side-scrolling.

IK+ wasn't a coin-op either. (I think International Karate was though).
Yes International Karate+ Very genius game! With a little bit of twik, like scrolling would be number one!
Old 31 May 2018, 15:49   #33
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I think International Karate was though
Not really. It was a good "The Way of the Exploding Fist" clone but much faster. And Fist war indeed a clone of the Arcade classic "Karate Champ".
Old 31 May 2018, 16:57   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
No the first SOR is a 512 kbytes game, not 256
Yeah, you are right. Just checked, the Master System version is 512 kbytes indeed. Big game for a Master System game.

Vigilante on Amiga is atrocious, it's one of the worst games I ever played on Amiga. It really is very very bad.

Vigilante the arcade game was made by the same guys who made Kung-Fu Master, it was always a kind of "spiritual" sequel.

Dragon Ninja and Ninja Warriors are the closest I can think of on Amiga which aren't horrendous.

I actually begun coding a Kung-fu Master alike on Amiga, but never went past main player animations, a scrolling routine and spawning a few enemies (which aren't shown here on this video)

[ Show youtube player ]

Regarding scrolling beat'em ups on Amiga which aren't horrible, we have Motorhead (which is not bad, but had potential to be a lot better), Shadow Warriors (too slow on Amiga to be enjoyable, though not even the arcade game is that great), Double Dragon 2 (Very good technically but gameplay has lots of issues), Golden Axe (the best of the bunch IMO but not that great either), Franko (Which is hilarious to look at but not very good) and Doman (Not very good either, but at least it tries )

IMO it has always been the genre where the Amiga is lacking. Even NES and Master System have good games on the genre.
Old 31 May 2018, 17:12   #35
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

There was a sequel to kung fu master but it wasn't received well and it was pulled from the arcade test sites.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 May 2018, 17:29   #36
DamienD
Banned

Wow!!! I did not know this

...this needs to dumped and then added into MAME
Old 31 May 2018, 17:29   #37
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

There was also a sequel on the NES, for the NES game specifically:

[ Show youtube player ]

Not a bad game at all.
Old 31 May 2018, 18:03   #38
Retro1234
Phone Homer

IK+ is considered a good game among Amigans over Amiga Final Fight

No wonder most Amiga BeatEmUps are shit.
Old 31 May 2018, 18:59   #39
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Well... Final Fight on Amiga is so horrible that even Bubble Bobble is a better side scrolling beat em up
Old 31 May 2018, 19:06   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

IK+ is a way better game than Amiga Final Fight.

But this huge love the Amiga scene has for IK+ always baffles me. Actually not the love itself, but how people try to compare it with any fighting game ever.

I mean it is a very fun game to play and I did play it a lot back at the day... but it's a very simple and repetitive game (like good old 80s arcade games, which many of them I love) and in no way compare with the likes of Street Fighter 2 and the genre it basically created.

And absolutely has nothing to do with Final Fight alike games.

But what I really can't understand is how someone can think anything of Amiga Final Fight but utter crap. I don't care about the ridiculous animations with 2-3 frames or the cut-down graphics.

The gameplay is completely fucked up. The game really plays *very* badly and I can't understand how someone can get any enjoyment of this.

But then Amiga users also love Project-X and Xenon 2... liking Final Fight just reinforces the impression I have from you european guys (or UK at least)... you guys probably didn't have arcades back them, there's no way anyone who ever played *ONE SINGLE* arcade beat'em up on their lives would consider Amiga Final Fight anything but crap. (Same thing for Xenon 2. There's no way anyone who ever played any arcade shoot'em ups to consider Xenon 2 anything but garbage)

EDIT. Honestly, come on. 1 year before Final Fight was released on Amiga, NES players were playing this:

[ Show youtube player ]

Fast game with animates backdrops, no slowdowns, cool soundtrack, varied enemies with different attacks patterns (which are more advanced than "gang up the player on a corner until all his health is gone). nice set pieces, varied bosses, levels with different gameplay elements (like the hoverboard level)... the gameplay is very simple (no combos... but Amiga Final Fight doesn't have them either), but there's a lot of variation and fun elements on it, and everything is very well done.

The whole game is on 512 kbyt, running on an underpowered 8 bits machine and it was released 1 year before Amiga Final Fight.

Last edited by Shatterhand; 31 May 2018 at 19:14.