English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 August 2017, 01:57   #781
demolition
Unregistered User

For point 1, this looks fixed.
Point 2, I can see that the update speed is slowed compared to before but the display corruption is still happening. The display bug happens only right when the image is done loading, but there are no problems with the scrolling text while the image is being loaded, even with the FW with the higher I2C clock.
For point 3, I can verify that the missing files are added if I use -populateslots multiple times after each other. Actually, I had to run it three times before all files were added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Nothing. the led is used as pull up on the i2c lines, so each time mcu talk to the screen, the led is blinking.
This is a steady ~2Hz blinking that starts after the image was loaded, so there should not be any traffic on I2C during this time, right?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 August 2017, 02:09   #782
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
For point 1, this looks fixed.
Point 2, I can see that the update speed is slowed compared to before but the display corruption is still happening. The display bug happens only right when the image is done loading, but there are no problems with the scrolling text while the image is being loaded, even with the FW with the higher I2C clock.
when the image is selected/floppy emulation working the scrolling is fine ?

Quote:
For point 3, I can verify that the missing files are added if I use -populateslots multiple times after each other. Actually, I had to run it three times before all files were added.
Ok good so this means that i can reproduce the issue here.

Quote:
This is a steady ~2Hz blinking that starts after the image was loaded, so there should not be any traffic on I2C during this time, right?
In fact there is a traffic. The scroll text is just static, but still updated. This is something that i should optimize.
Old 10 August 2017, 09:14   #783
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Jeff, will there be native support for those oled screens in the future? I'm still on the fence whether I should get the parts and build the adapter or not.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:05   #784
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
when the image is selected/floppy emulation working the scrolling is fine ?
The corruption only seems to occur when the filename is shorter than the display width, thus when no scrolling is required. As soon as the file name is wider, it looks ok and scrolls just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Jeff, will there be native support for those oled screens in the future? I'm still on the fence whether I should get the parts and build the adapter or not.
That would be really nice yes. I do have one with the adapter now but I have another Gotek that I would also like to put an OLED screen in so that would save a little work.
I guess it will take a little extra memory since the OLED screen would require a font being rendered from the uC.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:05   #785
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Well, if i didn't manage to make this oled mod working again, this will be a must. The problem is that i didn't have the mod nor the screen. it's maybe time to get the parts for me...
Old 10 August 2017, 10:07   #786
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
The corruption only seems to occur when the filename is shorter than the display width, thus when no scrolling is required. As soon as the file name is wider, it looks ok and scrolls just fine.
i have a new version to test :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...a_firmware.zip

can you try it ? Should be different.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:18   #787
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
i have a new version to test :
can you try it ? Should be different.
This one is really funky as you can see. Scrolling is also very corrupted now as it looks it is not fully updating the entire top line.

Regarding the display, the best version from 2a/3a/4a is 2a. It only has corruption on short file names as they are mounted, but long file names are fine and the update speed is better than 3a.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hxc_3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	54113  
Old 10 August 2017, 10:30   #788
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
This one is really funky as you can see. Scrolling is also very corrupted now as it looks it is not fully updating the entire top line.

Regarding the display, the best version from 2a/3a/4a is 2a. It only has corruption on short file names as they are mounted, but long file names are fine and the update speed is better than 3a.
So the normal version i have released yesterday in the morning ?
Look like that the characters are not aligned at all, which is impossible to do with a normal 2x16 screen. it look likes that there is a bug into this bridge with the set address command... (look at the '2' half-character, how this can be possible ?)

I will try a last modification to confirm the issue.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:40   #789
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

Try the "OLED" version :

The screen is now updated all the time...
Old 10 August 2017, 10:50   #790
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Try the "OLED" version :
The screen is now updated all the time...
Initially, this one looked good and there was no apparent corruption, but after changing slots a couple of times, I now have a lot of flickering chars on the bottom line. The reason for the weird chars is because they are constantly changing so on a still, you see a mix between chars as they are changed.
The top line is never updated even if I remove the USB stick. It needed a power cycle to get back. Seems like perhaps the adapter got stuck in some bad state?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hxc_4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	54116  
Old 10 August 2017, 10:59   #791
Jeff_HxC2001

last new : the mod document was deleted :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dho5zm5pb...xLzbP6JUH7YAHa

So it is sure now that there is something wrong in it, and unfortunately the author don't plan to fix it. In fact i think that the design can't support higher update rate and continuous screen update.

The very last test : i will slowdown at the maximum the update rate.
Old 10 August 2017, 11:12   #792
Jeff_HxC2001

HxCFEUSB_V3_0_21_4a_OLED_Test2.UPD

This will be very slow, but is it working at least ?
Old 10 August 2017, 12:03   #793
demolition
Unregistered User

This one seems to be working, except that the scrolling text is missing a character occasionally but I assume this is because of interference between the buffer being updated while it is being sent to the display and as the update speed is much slower now, it is more visible.

I was wondering that perhaps the problem was not directly due to the I2C speed being too high, but perhaps there is a character buffer which can overflow causing these errors we saw with previous firmwares and thus it may work with a higher I2C speed as long as not too many characters are updated quickly after another?
Old 10 August 2017, 12:15   #794
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
This one seems to be working, except that the scrolling text is missing a character occasionally but I assume this is because of interference between the buffer being updated while it is being sent to the display and as the update speed is much slower now, it is more visible.

I was wondering that perhaps the problem was not directly due to the I2C speed being too high, but perhaps there is a character buffer which can overflow causing these errors we saw with previous firmwares and thus it may work with a higher I2C speed as long as not too many characters are updated quickly after another?
I think that i found the cause of the issue : I didn't wait enough time for the acknowledge. If the i2c frame is not fully transmitted after some delay, i reset the i2c bus. Since the mod can be much slower than a true pcf8574, i broke the communication. So the fix is simple : extend this security time delay.

Could send me an email to hxc2001 <at> hxc2001.com ? This will be faster to exchange the test firmwares by email !
Thanks !
Old 11 August 2017, 00:58   #795
Jeff_HxC2001

Thanks to the help of demolition and Kingstener the display issues are now fixed :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...ease_notes.txt

The populates slots issue is also fixed.

Thanks for the tests and reports !
Old 11 August 2017, 12:07   #796
demolition
Unregistered User

Did a few tests with other formats:

In a 1581 drive, reading an image from a HFE file worked fine, however writing did not seem to work. I tried formatting the 1581 disk HFE image on the C64, and it is just hanging on track 0. If I then reboot the C64, I can again read the old directory and contents so it did not seem to clear the disk.

I also tried mounting an Amiga DSHD disk image both as ADF and HFEv3 and that did not seem to work when installed as an external drive on an A500, but I wonder if it is even possible to use external HD drives with an A500? From what I can see, pin #2 is normally used for density detection but this is different with the Amiga. The disk was always detected as a 880k disk and not 1.76MB.

Edit: I like being able to insert and eject disks, but instead of having to hold down both buttons 1 and 2 together, it would be nice if the third button could also be used for this. I don't see any current functionality when holding down button 3 when the USB stick is inserted.

Last edited by demolition; 11 August 2017 at 12:49.
Old 11 August 2017, 13:10   #797
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Did a few tests with other formats:

In a 1581 drive, reading an image from a HFE file worked fine, however writing did not seem to work. I tried formatting the 1581 disk HFE image on the C64, and it is just hanging on track 0. If I then reboot the C64, I can again read the old directory and contents so it did not seem to clear the disk.
Probably related to the index signal. Changing the interface mode may solve the issue.
Could you send me the hfe file you tried to write to ?

Quote:
I also tried mounting an Amiga DSHD disk image both as ADF and HFEv3 and that did not seem to work when installed as an external drive on an A500, but I wonder if it is even possible to use external HD drives with an A500? From what I can see, pin #2 is normally used for density detection but this is different with the Amiga. The disk was always detected as a 880k disk and not 1.76MB.
This "works", but the amiga don't identify the drive as an HD drive. An drive ID amiga circuit is needed to do this. unfortunately the gotek IO are too slow to make an emulation of this circuit reliable in all situations. Anyway this circuit is simple to build.

Quote:
Edit: I like being able to insert and eject disks, but instead of having to hold down both buttons 1 and 2 together, it would be nice if the third button could also be used for this. I don't see any current functionality when holding down button 3 when the USB stick is inserted.
ok will see this.
Old 11 August 2017, 14:28   #798
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Definitively yes ! In a near future .
Old 11 August 2017, 14:31   #799
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
Definitively yes ! In a near future .
Excellent! I can hardly wait. :-)

More 10 euros will be coming your way from me in any case, as I reflash these for my friends. Keep up the good work! :-)
Old 12 August 2017, 00:56   #800
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
This "works", but the amiga don't identify the drive as an HD drive. An drive ID amiga circuit is needed to do this. unfortunately the gotek IO are too slow to make an emulation of this circuit reliable in all situations. Anyway this circuit is simple to build.
Is this the circuit you mention?
Found it on Aminet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.5HDdrive.png
Views:	51
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	54154  
AdSense AdSense