English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 November 2016, 15:35   #381
turrican9

To sum it up:

For Amiga use I want to have the same functionality the Cortex firmware have with regards to slot numbers, slot saving and navigation. Right now the HXC firmware have a few annoying things:

1: Does not let you count backwards from track 000 to go directly to the last saved slot. Cortex have this function. Was a nice feature when I have track 21 to track 512 filled with images and wanted to go directly to the later tracks.

2: HXC only have 250 slots while the Cortex one have 999. Why? Much easier to have a printed out list with all your favourite images assigned to alot of slots instead of going into autoboot and assign stuff everytime. Also for using with Gotek DF1 and making use of multidisk games. example: I wanna play Wings which has alot of disk swapping. If I have Wings assigned on both my Goteks in my huge list I can easily make use of both Goteks without having to remove the USB drive from Gotek DF1 then boot it from Gotek DF0 just to assign Wings. Anyway, why not just give it 999 slots?

3: HXC will not let you save from let's say slot 20 and leave the first 20 slots empty like the Cortex firmware will let you do. HXC one will place your whole saved list of images from track 1 and onwards after you save and reboot. Why? If I have a printed out list with alot of assigned tracks I would like to leave the 20 or 30 first slots empty for assigning other stuff manually without having to cycle through all my assigned stuff which I want to stay there permanently.

These are things that are rather important to me and should be simple to fix.

If these things will not be fixed will I have the option to connect my Gotek units to Jeff's server again to upload the firmwares the same way I downloaded them so I can still have the firmware on the server and flash the Cortex firmware back without loosing my HXC firmwares which I bought for 10 Euros each.

Last edited by turrican9; 06 November 2016 at 15:44.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 November 2016, 16:06   #382
Sinphaltimus

For #3, you can use blank images as place holders. And empty non-bootable disk.
Old 06 November 2016, 16:18   #383
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
For #3, you can use blank images as place holders. And empty non-bootable disk.
That will work. Good suggestion. But why should I have to do that when this wasn't needed on the free Cortex firmware? This needs to get fixed. It's probably very easy for Jeff to fix it.

When I bought the HXC firmwares I didn't know about these things. I also though it would support up to 999 tracks because I read something about 1000 files in indexed mode. But of course I don't use indexed mode on the Gotek. So I misunderstood.

These things I mentioned in my last post makes it inferior to the Cortex firmware for my use. HXC have a few things going for it like extended ADF support and more stable write support with HFE. But is still missing HFE V2 support. If the things I mentioned here got fixed it would really be superior to the Cortex firmware.
Old 06 November 2016, 16:51   #384
turrican9

Will try putting empty disks in the first 20 or 30 tracks. this will leave me a little more than 200 tracks available. 200 + tracks is not much when you thing about that most games has several disks. I really want to see support for 999 tracks. Cortex really got these things right.
Old 06 November 2016, 16:55   #385
Sinphaltimus

I understand. I have HxC on my GoTek for my TI-99/4a and Cortex on my GoTek for my Amiga. I have had some adf issues writing to disks. It can get frustrating but I just copy over a new adf. Everything on the usb is temporary the way I look at it.

I'm in no rush to do anything with it due to the current state of my Amiga. I hope to repair it and if that happens (or I get a Vampire II for it) then I'll probably go Hxc because I really like the LCD with third button option feature that I enjoy on the TI.

We all have our needs and desires.

I agree that your suggestions above are good updates to HxC firmware but I don't know that I would say it's a fix because technically it's not broken.
Old 06 November 2016, 17:02   #386
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I understand. I have HxC on my GoTek for my TI-99/4a and Cortex on my GoTek for my Amiga. I have had some adf issues writing to disks. It can get frustrating but I just copy over a new adf. Everything on the usb is temporary the way I look at it.

I'm in no rush to do anything with it due to the current state of my Amiga. I hope to repair it and if that happens (or I get a Vampire II for it) then I'll probably go Hxc because I really like the LCD with third button option feature that I enjoy on the TI.

We all have our needs and desires.

I agree that your suggestions above are good updates to HxC firmware but I don't know that I would say it's a fix because technically it's not broken.
You are right, it's not a fix it would be an improvement. After all we pay for the HXC firmware and I expect it to be better than the free non-updated Cortex firmware, in every way.

Edit: Another thing, it may take up to 1 hour to assign 400 - 500 tracks but from there on I just clone the USB drive for use in other Goteks. Really, my only problem with the Cortex firmware was that you could not make a save disk for Cannon Fodder (requires extended ADF) and a few games had problems with disk change (solved by using two goteks. DF0 and DF1). Appart from that I almost never encountered any type of file corruption on the ADFs because I was using USB drives that was tested to work with the Cortex probably. I see now that 250 slots just isn't enough for me. And it's very annoying that you cannot leave earlier tracks open without putting an empty ADF there.

Last edited by turrican9; 06 November 2016 at 18:58.
Old 06 November 2016, 18:52   #387
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
If these things will not be fixed will I have the option to connect my Gotek units to Jeff's server again to upload the firmwares the same way I downloaded them so I can still have the firmware on the server and flash the Cortex firmware back without loosing my HXC firmwares which I bought for 10 Euros each.
For sure no. But you can load the "Cortex firmware" into the device with the hxc bootloader. Just use the HM_CXFE_1_5.UPD present into the firmware archive :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...a_firmware.zip
Old 06 November 2016, 18:56   #388
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
For sure no. But you can load the "Cortex firmware" into the device with the hxc bootloader. Just use the HM_CXFE_1_5.UPD present into the firmware archive :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...a_firmware.zip
Nice. I didn't know I could do that. So basically I can use the Cortex firmware on the HXC unit without flashing back the Cortex firmware. awesome.

But why not implement 999 tracks, the option to leave early tracks open and save in later slots and make the option to go backwards from zero to the last track? This way I don't need to use the Cortex firmware. I don't see the problem as it will not harm anything.

1: Give us 999 slots

2: Give us the option to leave as many early tracks open as we want without the need to fill them with something. So I can start saving slots from let's say track 20 and onwards and leave the first 20 open.

3: Give us the option to go backwards from track 000 to the last saved track. If you had 999 tracks and I wanted to go as fast as possible to track 826 it would be faster to go backwards if I was at track 000.

These are functions in the cortex firmware. I don't see any problem having these in the HXC firmware as it would not harm anything? It would just be an advantage. It's just sad if I have to go back to Cortex firmware just because of these few things that should be simple to implement?

Last edited by turrican9; 06 November 2016 at 19:28.
Old 06 November 2016, 19:38   #389
turrican9

I will keep on refreshing every second in the hopes Jeff will post and say he will implement the 3 things mentioned above
Old 06 November 2016, 20:02   #390
Jeff_HxC2001

Sure i will, but care must be taken before making such modifications : There is a lot of hxc out there, and breaking the compatibility will cause a lot of harm. So this is not as simple as you may think.
FYI a new firmware with some important changes is on the way.
Old 06 November 2016, 20:09   #391
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Sure i will, but care must be taken before making such modifications : There is a lot of hxc out there, and breaking the compatibility will cause a lot of harm. So this is not as simple as you may think.
FYI a new firmware with some important changes is on the way.
Thank you Jeff! This will really save my day! Looking forward to your new firmware!
Old 06 November 2016, 23:23   #392
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Will try putting empty disks in the first 20 or 30 tracks. this will leave me a little more than 200 tracks available. 200 + tracks is not much when you thing about that most games has several disks. I really want to see support for 999 tracks. Cortex really got these things right.

That's really strange, I can do this on my HxC rev C and didn't realise it doesn't work on the Gotek drive.
Old 07 November 2016, 01:41   #393
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

Please, Jeff, include a "reboot/reset" option, selectable with the joystick and better located than the present one or by pressing button 2, and - if possible - use the "left" on the joystick to delete a file from a slot, so that we can avoid the keyboard altogether. It would be great! Thanks for considering it.
Old 07 November 2016, 08:53   #394
Jeff_HxC2001

Not sure to understand : you can reset the machine with the F7/F8/F10 keys.

btw you can customize the selector if needed :
https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector
Old 07 November 2016, 11:32   #395
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

I know we can reset the machine with the mentioned F keys, but I wanted to bypass the keyboard altogether and only use the joystick.

How does one customize the selector, exactly?
Old 07 November 2016, 17:58   #396
turrican9

So when can we expect the new firmware which will give:

1: Give us 999 slots

2: Give us the option to leave as many early tracks open as we want without the need to fill them with something. So I can start saving slots from let's say track 20 and onwards and leave the first 20 open.

3: Give us the option to go backwards from track 000 to the last saved track. If you had 999 tracks and I wanted to go as fast as possible to track 826 it would be faster to go backwards if I was at track 000.

And maybe even HFE V2 support?
Old 07 November 2016, 18:04   #397
DamienD
Global Moderator

Patience is definitely not one of your strong points is it turrican9?

Give poor Jeff some space; these things don't happen overnight and as he said need to be tested thoroughly as to not break compatibility...
Old 07 November 2016, 18:30   #398
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Patience is definitely not one of your strong points is it turrican9?

Give poor Jeff some space; these things don't happen overnight and as he said need to be tested thoroughly as to not break compatibility...
No secret I am very excited for this new firmware, yes indeed. I will just sit here and refresh and hope for news
Old 07 November 2016, 21:04   #399
Sinphaltimus

Please wait 30 days before clicking refresh.
Old 07 November 2016, 22:12   #400
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
How does one customize the selector, exactly?
https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_f...r/amiga/conf.h

<<#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_SLOT 250

>>#define MAX_NUMBER_OF_SLOT 999

make
AdSense AdSense