English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 April 2002, 21:09   #21
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake
Cheer up Twistin'Ghost, oh what can it be?
A daydream believer perhaps

Quote:
Alternative stuff always has, and always will, co-exist for those to whom 'I Love Lucy' does not appeal. Each to their own. To some, Britney Spears is the pinnacle of musical brilliance. Is their opinion less valid than someone who digs opera?
Ah, why yes it is less valuable then my opinion of course theres always gonna be stuff like this, made for the asses of the masses and simply put thru the meat grinder of so called popular entertainment

Quote:
Sorry to beef, but I feel the need to defend those poor lowest-common-denominator souls' right to enjoy their vapid entertainment. Anything else is elitist, no?
Yes, and I am one too :eek
Old 20 April 2002, 15:39   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I see your point, but MY point is that the dumbed down factor is on a downhill grade. It boggles the mind to think the lowest common denominator could sink any deeper into the mire than it already has. But compare I Love Lucy to Survivor - night and day. For a more middle point comparison (to see the sloping), jump in between those two with a more fair comparison: I Love Lucy to Laverne and Shirley. Both sitcoms, both physical comedy, etc. I Love Lucy was hardly aimed at the LCD, but general audiences (not really the same thing). What from the past could you compare to the likes of Survivor or Fear Factor? The Gong Show? Even that was tongue-in-cheek and didn't take itself any more seriously than Get Smart did.

I still insist that fluff gets more meaningless every day. A light comedy is not the same as a comedy aimed at morons!
Old 20 April 2002, 15:50   #23
blackcornflake

On-Topic: Yes, I think that we have seen the last commercial game for A1200 (without significant upgrade) on floppy disk. I don't think there has been one for about 5 years now. It's CD/extra processor power all the way...

I am sure freeware and shareware games will still be made for unexpanded A1200s, though.

Off-Topic: @ jmmijo - 'so-called' popular entertainment? It IS popular; no 'so-called' about it. I don't understand where Twistin' and yourself are coming from, I'm afraid. Perhaps the advocation of some form of censorship? A Universal Board of Good Taste to sift through output and advise on how to make it more highbrow? Where does one draw a line? Soft spot for the 'A-Team'? Let it through. Not so keen on 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch'? Bin it.

We are all our own censors. If I don't like a film, I don't go and watch it. If I don't like a TV show, I prod a button on the remote.

Even though Pop Stars, for example, is not my cup of tea, some folks like it. And I respect the fact that those fans have made their own minds up, as opposed to being brainwashed by some corporate machine. As I keep stating, there is a world of choice for everyone. Those faceless grey suits don't seem to have such influence that everything is bland rubbish.

Time to call in Friedrich Nietzsche, with his essay Über Wahrheit und Lüge im außermoralischen Sinn, wherein he argues that the human belief in universal constants and 'truth' is only "a mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms". But then we are all only too aware of his writings, of course, erudite lot that we are.

I think we may have to agree to disagree, or this one will run and run. Good discussion, though!

I give you Beatrice Hall, The Friends of Voltaire:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

P.S. Mods - my next post will be about games, promise.
Old 20 April 2002, 17:31   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I think you are missing the point. It's just an observation. Nothing more. No censorship was ever suggested. Where I am coming from is just pointing at the wasteland and noticing that it gets dirtier and uglier every day.
Old 20 April 2002, 19:07   #25
blackcornflake

And all I am saying is (deep breath) No! It! Does! Not! Already!

Sorry Mods, I lied about my next post being about games. But this tete-a-tete is between me and a Super Moderator, so it must be OK.

Super Moderator. Nice title, dude!
Old 20 April 2002, 19:32   #26
jmmijo

Quote:
Off T: I understand what you are saying and yes I respect that. When I call something "so-called" it usually is because of the media machine behind it hyping said product ad-nauseum. You and perhaps billions of others would call it popular, because of sheer numbers. That's because this machine has force fed the herds and that is what seems to be expected. Well, I do like some things the media machine shoves down our collective throuts, so I guess in some ways that also puts me into the popular, et. al., category too

But this having been said, I mostly was poking fun at the whole media hype machine to begin with

On T: I agree there will not be another commercial disk based game, except perhaps PD/Shareware. I can possibly see something on CD however. But since there are some great CD32 titles, why not play these instead? Well you probably have already and there are only so many. So that brings us back to where we started in this thread.

I believe that the Amiga Classic, as we all know and love so much, will only exist with the remaining real machines still functioning. There maybe something like the Amiga One, but only time will tell as I still have my doubts that it will be released I would love to be mistaken on this point however
Old 20 April 2002, 19:35   #27
blackcornflake

Amen to that!
Old 21 April 2002, 02:24   #28
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

???

Quote:

Sorry Mods, I lied about my next post being about games. But this tete-a-tete is between me and a Super Moderator, so it must be OK.

Super Moderator. Nice title, dude!
A. How many different ways do I have to spell out to you that I was speaking my opinion? Take as many deep breaths as you need to conceive this. If you disagree, fine.

B. What's up with all the Super Moderator stuff? I have tasks I perform here. Hence my title, which represents the level of access I have for these duties. Nothing more. The On/Off Topic is up to interpretation, as I was merely paralleling the changing tides in the entertainment (film, TV, music) industry with games and how they are similar.

It's getting to the point where every time I express an opinion here, somebody has to engage in an arguement with me about it. Frankly, I haven't the time for this nonsense. If it will keep peace, I will merely respond to adf requests in the future as I would hate for EAB to become another flame board.
Old 21 April 2002, 21:53   #29
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

It's getting to the point where every time I express an opinion here, somebody has to engage in an arguement with me about it. Frankly, I haven't the time for this nonsense. If it will keep peace, I will merely respond to adf requests in the future as I would hate for EAB to become another flame board.
No, please don't do that. If I caused offence, I unreservedly apologise. I know you were stating an opinion. I just got carried away with arguing my case. It was not intended as a personal attack.

I would not flame you, or anybody else on EAB.

Sorry, Twistin'.
Old 21 April 2002, 23:42   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks, blackcornflake. That was not a good day for me. But as far as I am concerned, the episode doesn't exist anymore. Back to peace and emulation!