English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 November 2001, 14:59   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Scarey Games / Spooky Games

What are the scariest games you have played?

Mine are (In reverse order)

5) Resident Evil (PSX) - Wasn't as scary as people made out, a good couple of surprises tho!

4) Resident Evil 2 (PSX) - As above but bigger

3) Clive Barkers Undying (PC) - Quite a chilling game, with some atmospheric music etc (Which sets the scene perfectly)

2) Silent Hill (PSX) - What can I say, whenever I play this (Widescreen TV, Prologic Surround Sound) the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention, especially when outside in that fog and those pteradactyl type things are hovering..

1) Savage (Amiga) - Strange one for a number 1 this, but for sheer scare the living crap outta me it wins. Why? Well when I first got it and booted it up my Amiga was running through my mums stereo (A few yrs back now) and the stereo unbeknown to me was extremely loud. Anyway I was chatting to a friend and suddenly there was this horrendous loud growl type scream type thing (SAAAAAAVVVVAAAAAGGGGEEEE) well not loading the game before and the stereo being SO LOUD , I looked around in absolute terror for this person!!

Seems stupid now, but I'd never been so scared in my entire life!

Last edited by Peanutuk; 31 October 2004 at 17:19.
Old 17 November 2001, 15:55   #2
§ane

"Project Firestart" (C64) and "Darkseed" on the Amiga

Resident Evil was a great game.
Old 17 November 2001, 16:17   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

I Never played Darkseed for mare than about 15 minutes, I couldn't handle the laced gfx, gave me violent headaches

Obviously the newer games of today and the past 3-4 years are more atmospheric because of the 3D technology and power of gfx chipsets and the sound (stereo/surround/pro-logic) etc..

But personally I think it's the SFX that make a game atmospheric and scary, if you mute the sound in any fright 'em up it won't have the same effect!
Old 17 November 2001, 17:54   #4
Drake1009

I'd have to add Alone in the dark 1 to that list. That game really scared me when I first played it.
Old 17 November 2001, 20:30   #5
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Scariest games

I have to say that Alone in the Dark and Darkseed were the scariest games I have played.

They were really good games
Old 17 November 2001, 20:50   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

What about Space Hulk? That is rather scary too
Old 17 November 2001, 22:37   #7
Drake1009

Yeah Space Hulk was somewhat scarey. I only barely made it past the training missions in that *Hangs head in shame* It's too fast, and you don't have unlimited time to freeze the game in.

I only played Darkseed once on the PC and the sound was either messed up or had some very annoying music. So I never got far playing that.
Old 18 November 2001, 01:55   #8
Uukrul

Thanatos for the CPC (I hate spiders and of course Alone in the Dark

Old 18 November 2001, 20:34   #9
Amiga1992

Maniac Mansion on the C64... First time Edna chased us at the kitchen, my sister and me freaked the hell out

I think the king of all scary games is Alien vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar... fuck man, that games knows what ambience is. Perhaps the only FPS game I really, really like
Old 18 November 2001, 21:19   #10
Drake1009

Aliens vs Predator on the Jaguar as a FPS game? Is that a bit like the PC game?

And you're right about Maniac mansion. You actually made it out of the kitchen the first time you met Edna? I was caught the first couple of times before thinking of going out of the kitchen.
Old 19 November 2001, 03:19   #11
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I have to nominate the original Alone in the Dark too...

But I remember when I was just a little whippersnapper, Ballistix on Amiga always frightened the shit out of me. It had all that gothic, ghoulish, almost satanic artwork. And the monster who announced the start of play by saying

LET THE GAME...COMMENCE

scared me too.

The intro music, with all the monks chanting, frightened me as well.

It's funny though...now I kinda like all that dark artwork (eg: H.R Gieger etc.), whereas years ago it scared me.

As for newer games, the original Quake didn't really scare me, but it is a scary game IMHO, with all that gothic architecture, and I loved it. It's particularly scary on Nightmare difficulty, where monsters simply appear out of thin air all around you...always keeps you on the edge.

BTW, I wish I could play Undying, but my computer can't run it.
Old 19 November 2001, 07:05   #12
birdy-scc
Banned

Take magic mushrooms and play Doom or Heretic for a few hours - then you'll know what fear is!

The blue paint on the faces of the Scottish fighters in Braveheart was originally derived from the dye that is in the very same mushrooms. And if you've ever read Asterix, you will know all about Getafix's magic potion. They are part of my Celtic culture - wahey!

I know this probably sounds a bit outrageous, but I am bored -and sober.
Old 19 November 2001, 08:24   #13
Drake1009

Who says you need magic mushrooms to have a strange game of Doom? If you're tired enough doom can seem very strange indeed. I remember at a LAN party where I was playing with some other guy in Doom. I hadn't had sleep for a loong time but we played regardless. It was really apparent I was in serious need of sleep. I could see suddently something would be coming at me and I'd just be shooting with whatever weapon I was holding. When running around the mazes I couldn't find my way, I remember running around in circles without being able to find my way out of the room.

If you talk about more than the scarey effect you could talk about shock effect. Some games really do manage to shock you quite a bit. Here again I'd like to pull out Alone in the dark (1). If you had an old SB soundcard and the disk version of the game then you could always hear when something was attacking you. You'd be walking around wearily almost dead hoping to avoid confrontation, and then suddently you'd hear that sound, I think the closest to it would be a thing which I only know as an orchestral blast whereafter the music would start playing. This did give me quite a shock or 3 or 5 while playing. The CD version on the other hand had all music on CD and the effect there is gone

Another game with a shock effect (at least for me, I'm easily shocked) is Half-life. I remember more than one time when I got shocked as a headcrab suddently would jump at me, or those things in the ceiling would snag me. And many of the effects around you. If any of you ever played the game that far you'll know about some very large thing, first time you encounter it is at the rail split where you see it finishing off a couple of soldiers with ease. You end up killing it by running down a hallway with your life as stake while it thunder down the hallway after you, just hope you turn on the power soon enough so it'll get caught and die. And those thingies on rods, the first time you encounter those. You walk into a room and you notice a scientist looking at the window screaming "no no no". Look at the window just in time to see something large bust through the window.

There are many other games with good shock effects, and I found 3D games actually have a plus there because things can sneak up on you without you knowing it before you get attacked.
Old 19 November 2001, 13:52   #14
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Cool Dungeon Master

I'm a huge fan of the PC game Trespasser. The official Jurassic Park first person game that everyone slagged off. If anyone here has played it very far you'll know this can be a pretty scary game. You run into an old building with 3 raptors closing in on you and you can here them outside. You've run out of ammo and realise all you can do is run out the back door and find a weapon. Even scarier when a T-Rex is chasing after you and you're running for the cover of a building. Or when one of those raptor buggers jump at you from behind a wall or bush. Truly scary stuff. I think Dungeon Master was scary the first time I played it. I was playing it with a friend and I remember we dropped down a pit. All we could hear were these huge strange footsteps we hadn't heard before. They were getting closer and closer. We suddenly turned around to be confronted by a huge dragon who then unleashed a mammoth fireball in our faces. We screamed. I mean really screamed. It was so shocking. Hahaha. Aaaah, they were the days. Also if anyone has played the 3D sections of Jurassic Park AGA on the Amiga you'll know what scary really is. It's the music that makes it so tense. You jut know there's a raptor in that dark room and your just waiting for it to jump out at you. Don't play this game if you have heart problems. Very Scary.
Old 20 November 2001, 02:19   #15
Unregistered

Thumbs down

When I first saw resident evil, I was petrified with horror, trying to comprehend how a computer game could suck that badly.

Old 20 November 2001, 02:23   #16
oldpx

the above post was mine.

1-It's 3:21 AM
2-my power supply killed my hd
3-I'm sick

I'm sorry but I've got three good reasons for forgetting to log in.

Old 20 November 2001, 03:21   #17
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I agree, I dislike Resident Evil a lot..

The original System Shock on PC is rather scary too, it builds a nice "fear" atmosphere, and throws you shock situations from time to time.

Can't tell about the sequel , I only played the demo of it
Old 20 November 2001, 06:02   #18
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

Scary games? Well, in no particular order....

Friday the 13th (C64)-A classic, particularly when the bodies start to pile up & the fright-o-meter starts climbing. A rare game where the bugs (like losing your weapon if you change to another), enhanced things with random events! Why doesn't someone do a modern-day 3D version-I'm sure the concept would work well for that B-grade atmosphere.

Ghettoblaster (C64)-Although not exactly "frightening", towards the end of the game with numerous baddies running around, the flickscreen scrolling would lead to some interesting finishes!!

Resident Evil's 1-3(PSX)-Brilliant. In all three games I'm sure most people must've encountered portions of each game that you didn't expect to happen.

Final Fantasy VII(PSX)-Again, not something you might be scared at every second of gameplay, but for the major set-piece monster battles at major parts of the game I enjoyed (in hindsight!), having to take on the major boss fights & wonder how long it'd take to defeat some of those monsters. (eg:Ruby/Emerald weapons).

I only ever played a demo of Darkseed, but well recall the "headache interlace GFX syndrome". Was always curious about seeing more but that problem must've been a nightmare to try & play thru-maybe it was supposed to be an unadvertised "interactive" feature for the headache suffering in the game!!
Old 20 November 2001, 06:18   #19
Amigaboy

I finished Darkseed

Old 20 November 2001, 07:43   #20
Drake1009

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
I agree, I dislike Resident Evil a lot..

The original System Shock on PC is rather scary too, it builds a nice "fear" atmosphere, and throws you shock situations from time to time.

Can't tell about the sequel , I only played the demo of it
I liked System shock 1 too. Had some really good ideas for FPS games. The second one though while the graphics are better it's still not as good as the first. It looks a bit like some other FPS only that you usually run out of ammo, it's really easy to die even on easy and a lot of the good features (such as cyberspace and drug effects) have been removed. It still has a few frightening effects (Mostly caused by the zombies respawning and then sneaking up on you)