English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 May 2016, 13:31   #121
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The solution if deadlock occurs is to open source the hardware design API's with a low level library and let P96 drivers for that FPGA gfx card appear out of the ether that is the internet?

these is different ways to go around it. and there is a number of projects that could be affected. some sane, fair and genral solution would be most welcome for all, i sense.
Old 23 May 2016, 13:35   #122
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Then you have only one chance if you control the software that your competition needs to gain full power. You can then even destroy competing products by giving no licenses or make them very expensive.
Do tell us who has done that.
Old 23 May 2016, 13:37   #123
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Do tell us who has done that.
you are clever I guess you can imagine what are the candidates
Old 23 May 2016, 14:44   #124
springycz

In this case candidates were derived from Candida which can also be pretty nasty...
Old 23 May 2016, 15:24   #125
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
The Open Compute Project has investors, but no profit. It doesn't exist to make profit, it's not a product.
What do you mean "no profit" - the entire concept is about maximizing profit! OCP is a whole range of products, from a whole range of providers.
Old 23 May 2016, 15:26   #126
kolla
Banned

Awesome, I may get myself one of those
Old 23 May 2016, 15:39   #127
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
What do you mean "no profit" - the entire concept is about maximizing profit! OCP is a whole range of products, from a whole range of providers.
OCP is run by a non-profit foundation. There certainly are providers who supply the OCP designs as for-profit products, but you can be sure that anyone who is deploying OCP hardware at scale, is using contract manufacturing.

You'd only go to HP to buy OCP hardware if you are doing it because your CTO/CIO thinks it's cool.

At the kind of scale we're talking about for Amiga hardware, anyone trying to make a little money from hardware, would be foolish to open source their designs. However, it's also more likely that you have people doing hardware for fun, who aren't motivated by profit and are prepared to open everything (e.g. mntmn)
Old 24 May 2016, 00:52   #128
daxb

I just want to notice it again. Don`t take the stuff written on a1k.org serious because the most posts are guesswork, wrong, attacks and meanings based on prejudices. wawa and OlafSch are part of that.
Old 24 May 2016, 01:06   #129
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I just want to notice it again. Don`t take the stuff written on a1k.org serious because the most posts are guesswork, wrong, attacks and meanings based on prejudices. wawa and OlafSch are part of that.
and why do you come here and make accusations against both you named?
Do you think the Individual Jens Schoenfled aka ICOMP, aka the saviour of the amiga community needs this kind of support?
most here are old enough to understand what he was or IS trying to do.
Old 24 May 2016, 10:22   #130
OlafSch

Quote:
<br />
<br />
you are our hero

to make you happy I will more and more retreat from amiga community. People like you and others get exactly what they deserve so live with it. For me looking from someone living and working in 2016 it is looking more and more obscure anyway.

Last edited by OlafSch; 24 May 2016 at 10:29.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:20   #131
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Why don't you tell us the truth then ?

I only see people who want to do, make, create something (this includes wawa and OlafSch, and many others of course). And people who want to stop that (armchair lawyers, licence vultures...).
Old 24 May 2016, 11:33   #132
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Why don't you tell us the truth then ?

I only see people who want to do, make, create something (this includes wawa and OlafSch, and many others of course). And people who want to stop that (armchair lawyers, licence vultures...).
most users obviously want it how it is otherwise they would think different. Whoever buys P96 will not buy it for charity but to make profit. Depending on the person/company there might even be strategic/political reasons to do it. None of this is primarly to make users happy, it is simply business. Clever boys like Daxb with their obviously superior knowledge and experience knows what is good so when they want it they will exactly get what they deserve, perhaps even more than they asked for. But that is not my problem anymore.
Old 24 May 2016, 12:27   #133
ptyerman

I must admit, with everything that's going on in Amiga land lately, I feel like throwing in the towel and walking away/selling up. Think I'll take a back seat for a while and see how things pan out.
This whole thing just stinks of greed and sour grapes from certain people, about time certain folk started growing up!
Old 24 May 2016, 13:13   #134
majsta
www.majsta.com

I m for an option to keep all legal. After all everyone should get credit for hard work and all licenses should be paid. But after all blackmails I got I have no idea anymore who owns what, what is legit and what company/group represent what piece of software. After months of talking all is more and more confusing and this is becoming nothing more than:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot
Read complete wiki article please
Old 24 May 2016, 13:17   #135
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
I m for an option to keep all legal. After all everyone should get credit for hard work and all licenses should be paid. But after all blackmails I got I have no idea anymore who owns what, what is legit and what company/group represent what piece of software. After months of talking all is more and more confusing and this is becoming nothing more than:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot
Read complete wiki article please
do you have a sword?
Old 24 May 2016, 13:20   #136
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
I m for an option to keep all legal. After all everyone should get credit for hard work and all licenses should be paid. But after all blackmails I got I have no idea anymore who owns what, what is legit and what company/group represent what piece of software. After months of talking all is more and more confusing and this is becoming nothing more than:&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&amp;lt;a href=&amp;quot;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot&amp;quot; target=&amp;quot;_blank&amp;quot;&amp;gt;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Read complete wiki article please &amp;lt;img src=&amp;quot;images/smilies/smile.gif&amp;quot; border=&amp;quot;0&amp;quot; alt=&amp;quot;&amp;quot; title=&amp;quot;Smile&amp;quot; smilieid=&amp;quot;1&amp;quot; class=&amp;quot;inlineimg&amp;quot; /&amp;gt;
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&amp;lt;br /&amp;gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />
the problem is amiga market was very amateurish in legal sense. Many known companies only sold products but the copyright stayed at the developers. Then the amiga market collapsed and both the companies and the developers left. Now it is difficult to even find the copyright owners at all (former amiga developers, partly several) or they even block for strategical reasons. In other cases it was done only half legal. To avoid all that you would need a clean start avoiding all those old software but users obviously do not want that. So be it... they have to live with the consequences
Old 24 May 2016, 13:52   #137
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
do you have a sword?
we have to do with a lesser problem than alexander, sharp kitchen knife might suffice.
Old 24 May 2016, 13:58   #138
wawa

ideally a cooperation on them problem as proposed by heiroglyph should be undertaken. because i see all kinds of independent attempts to solve this, each going it own way. instead the interested parties would best come off coordinatin their approach rather than doubling and trippling work and coming to independent incompatible halfway solutions.

i mean here:
apollo tam
fpga arcade
aros?
mist
mntmn
a1k members concerned about similar projects like ratte and mazze..
..others?
Old 24 May 2016, 14:47   #139
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
and why do you come here and make accusations against both you named?
They are both just examples. There are some more but the mentioned users wrote (propagandize) here. Maybe my fault to name. Just take it as a notice, nothing more. Agree/belive it or not. Your decision.

Quote:
Do you think the Individual Jens Schoenfled aka ICOMP, aka the saviour of the amiga community needs this kind of support?
I don`t speculate about him or his intents. I don`t know him. I don`t know if he is an evil or not. I don`t judge or defend (on speculations). And last I don`t talking about Jens, Hyperion (or how they are called), FPGA builder, P96, CGX and other persons involved. I`m talking about "discussion" style. So, maybe that is just an misunderstanding.

@OlafSch:
Thanks! Always wanted to be a hero.

I guess people have different opinions about what Amiga "community" is or how it should be. I wouldn`t count/interpret to much on the word "community". Who tells you who is part of the "community" or not. Or how he/she should behave. Sooner or later everybody will say that isn`t the "community" I like or want to be a part of because it differs too much from the own definition. Hence it is sometimes not good or wrong to use the word "community" because it push misunderstandings. During reading the thread on a1k.org I also thought if this is the "community" I won`t be part of it. If you would retreat it sure wouldn`t make me happy. I`ve no personal antipathy to you.
Old 24 May 2016, 15:03   #140
OlafSch

Quote:
They are both just examples. There are some more but the mentioned users wrote (propagandize) here. Maybe my fault to name. Just take it as a notice, nothing more. Agree/belive it or not. Your decision.

I don`t speculate about him or his intents. I don`t know him. I don`t know if he is an evil or not. I don`t judge or defend (on speculations). And last I don`t talking about Jens, Hyperion (or how they are called), FPGA builder, P96, CGX and other persons involved. I`m talking about "discussion" style. So, maybe that is just an misunderstanding.

@OlafSch:
Thanks! Always wanted to be a hero.

I guess people have different opinions about what Amiga "community" is or how it should be. I wouldn`t count/interpret to much on the word "community". Who tells you who is part of the "community" or not. Or how he/she should behave. Sooner or later everybody will say that isn`t the "community" I like or want to be a part of because it differs too much from the own definition. Hence it is sometimes not good or wrong to use the word "community" because it push misunderstandings. During reading the thread on a1k.org I also thought if this is the "community" I won`t be part of it. If you would retreat it sure wouldn`t make me happy. I`ve no personal antipathy to you.
if somebody cites me as a bad example then it is not unpersonal. My motivation to become involved was that there is a open platform that makes it possible to get rid of all the problems from the past. At the time I started I was more or less the only one but thought that the advantages are so obvious that I finally will convince most users and developers. Today it is obvious that this will never happen, the community (people still involved in one way or another) are mostly living in the past and will never move to something else, how superior it might be and be it only for naming. They want the old components like OS and P96 so they shall get them... of course having no competition will lead to high prices but as I wrote no longer my problem. We have a phrase here: "Man kann die Pferde zur Tränke führen, saufen müssen sie selbst." meaning you can offer something but not force others. I offered but the others not accepted it. So be it. For me a big win of time I can use more productive with professional software on professional OS. I will look at the situation from time to time and remind people what they have written before and have to blame themselves (or simply just look and enjoy ).