English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 October 2015, 14:02   #21
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Why do the sprites look like really badly posterized 3D images?
If you are serious about it, collaborate with one of the marvelous graphic artists we have here.

Still looking for any game demo, you said you did a tech demo somewhere, why not show it? Will help prop up your Patreon.
At this early stage graphics should be a secondary focus, what matters is demonstrating gameplay, developing tools and validating technical aspects. I actually prefer seeing "prototype" graphics rather than final ones because it indicates the developers are serious and concentrate on the important things first rather than say write the introduction sequence first.

When I have enough material to show for my own projects you can expect ugly coder graphics because what matters is that the game works, not how it looks.

In the video games industry it is commonplace for games to look bland and rough until the last six months of development, then polishing takes place and the game acquires its final look. If you see very beautiful demos during game development that usually means the developers had to cease actual development for a few weeks in order to polish specific areas of the game.
A very bad thing if you ask me because it disrupts regular development and forces all kind of hacks into the engine.
Old 27 October 2015, 15:37   #22
buzzybee

Thanks ReadOnlyCat, for your very wise words. You´re exactly right: Developing a polished demoversion just for the show would take away precious time from the "real" development of the game.

Also, as you say I´d have to use some "hacks" to make some portions of the visuals work in this early stage. That´s exactly the opposite of what I´m aiming for: proper, elegant and bugfree code that is glitchfree and works reliably. This will result in a gameplay experience that is real smooth and enjoyable.
Old 28 October 2015, 07:04   #23
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
Akira: Okay, so what do I learn from your post?
That if you are unwilling to take any kind of criticism at this stage, you shouldn't post your project online at all until it's in a situation where you actually want to show it to people. I do read text, thanks, you wrote "Just a glimpse at the first animation mockups for the prototype of RESHOOT" and I commented on that. I asked a question, but it upset you. If you are not willing to answer it, don't make it occur.

I just think you jumped the gun a bit regarding the project and I do bid you well on it, but it might be best to work on it silently than announce when you don't have much at all to show for it. People do lack patience on the internet. Me? I was just prodding you a little to prove this point
Old 28 October 2015, 11:29   #24
buzzybee

Akira: See, I didn´t post the news about the development of RESHOOT in this forum, I used other channels. Early announcement was made for a good reason: If I had been totally quiet about the project I wouldn´t have found the amazing devsupport I need for this project. Adam Morton for example. He contributes faboulous ingame-music which complements and drives the action really great. Therefore the decision to talk about RESHOOT early was totally right. Reactions like yours were forseeable and unavoidable, as the Internet usually is not the patient type of guy.

Please never forget we are talking homebrew project I am doing in my sparetime while taking care of my family and my job. Please don´t expect public relations work on a level with a professional production worth thousands or millions of Euros. But please expect a game as playable as good professional Amiga productions in the 90s. I´m pretty sure you´ll like what you see when a first video is published.

Last edited by buzzybee; 28 October 2015 at 12:14.
Old 28 October 2015, 16:50   #25
Amiga1992

You didn't seem to understand I was playing a bit of devil's advocate. My advice was "don't post updates online until your game is almost finished".
The only people you now have to update are those who are supporting you economically.
Old 28 October 2015, 19:26   #26
Gzegzolka

I would love to see this game finished but for now there isn't much stuff to attract other people to invest into this project. It all can change just like Akira say with more advanced stage of development.
Old 28 October 2015, 19:39   #27
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Akira: I think it beats the purpose to have a campaign at Patreon and post no updates whatsoever until the game is actually ready, don't you think? It also seems to me that communicating the project is important since buzzybee is actively searching for artists and other people to get involved and help with the development.
Old 28 October 2015, 20:25   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
@Akira: I think it beats the purpose to have a campaign at Patreon and post no updates whatsoever until the game is actually ready
I think it beats the purpose to post a reply to what I wrote without reading

I said:
Quote:
The only people you now have to update are those who are supporting you economically
Old 28 October 2015, 20:25   #29
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Yes, communicating about the project in order to attract artists and devs makes perfect sense imo; but yes there is not a lot to see atm. I'm sure that will change in the future.
And perhaps when I have gainful employment in the aforementioned future, I can support it.
Old 28 October 2015, 21:39   #30
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I think it beats the purpose to post a reply to what I wrote without reading

I said:
It goes both ways, but no offence taken anyway
What 'I' meant was how do you expect to attract more supporters that finance the project at a monthly basis without taking this out to the public (let alone the extra dev support)?

Your proposal for no updates online until the game is almost finished seems to contradict this simple fact. Or am I missing something here?
Old 29 October 2015, 00:09   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
What 'I' meant was how do you expect to attract more supporters that finance the project at a monthly basis without taking this out to the public (let alone the extra dev support)?
You do it by having something to show for it.
Getting people to support you with nothing going on is rather hard/unusual. PErsonally, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't ask for economical support when I have nothing to show, and as a consumer, I wouldn't support a game that isn't palpable.
This is normal consumerism behaviour, I'm not being any kind of heretic or jerk.
But Patreon promotes the old system of patronage, very popular in the art world of eons ago. Personally, I don;t think this is the kinda product that works well on a patronage system, people who use Patreon usually deliver content to their subscribers on a certain frequency. This is why it's the tool of choice for people like comic book artists.
For products like a videogame, crowdfunding occurs with the promise of a released game. Kickstarter or the like would be the ideal outlet for this kinda project, but that means that you have to put in some field work beforehand. For me that is proof enough that the project owners have put enough work on it to be serious and I gladly contribute with my preorder, even when the game isn't even hardly finished.
Old 29 October 2015, 09:48   #32
Gzegzolka

To attract potential sponsors You need to show something more advanced. I understood that final product is too much. Demo we could play would be great, or just a slice - short movie showing gameplay from few levels. Stuff that look nice also could work, like concept art, early shoots of sprites and graphics, comparison shoots showing game with placeholder sprites and finished ones. Show video how You draw sprites or write a bit of code. Offer something to those who support You - like if You pay that amount of money You could design Your own sprite for game or other graphic, and if You pay more You can draw a map of level and I will create it in my game.
Right now there isn't much to show. People buy ideas, but mostly if there is some certain point of progression already done. Like with "Tower 57" and if there is nothing to see, like with new Dizzy and James Pond on kickstarter, people will not trust and not support.
Old 29 October 2015, 09:58   #33
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i like to see someone's progress.

i wish you all the best of luck!
Old 29 October 2015, 19:34   #34
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i like to see someone's progress.

i wish you all the best of luck!
Same here, I will be very happy to watch even ugly looking and slow moving prototypes.

Also, the fact that some people cannot understand why intermediate content is necessarily unpolished (and why that is a good sign) should not be a reason enough to not publish progress. Otherwise we let ignorants dictate what gets published openly and that is not the world I want to leave in.

Akira is right that ignorant people will always find (invalid) reasons to rant but why care? Let them rant.
Old 29 October 2015, 21:49   #35
Gzegzolka

Good luck for me too
Old 11 December 2015, 14:13   #36
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

RESHOOT: A new Amiga shoot´em-up coming 2016

Quote:
Announced via our Commodore Amiga Facebook group, is the latest in development Shoot 'em up to wow the Amiga community. Coming to the A1200, A4000 and CD32, ' RESHOOT ' as it's known, is being coded by Richard Löwenstein, with music by Adam Morton and pixel design by Kevin Saunders that looks down right impressive.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/1...ming-2016.html
Old 11 December 2015, 14:20   #37
wanderer
I want an A1000

A new, AGA shooter? Sounds perfect, I'll be watching this. I like the video but it's early to tell.
Old 11 December 2015, 14:25   #38
Amigajay

Wow big surprise! Looks very good, i hope the gameplay can match the visuals, and maybe add a cd audio for the cd32 release!?

Would defo support buy buying a physical copy (or even download) when its ready, not too keen on these monthly payments things.

Very good day thanks to the devs!
Old 11 December 2015, 14:27   #39
spudje

Looks way better than that new kickstarter game IMO.
Old 11 December 2015, 16:07   #40
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Looks amazing! Will definitely play it.