English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 July 2019, 11:23   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Anyone successfully accessing GMail with IBrowse etc? (OS 3.1)

Are any of you managing to access your GMail account with an Amiga browser these days? I've tried with IBrowse 2.4 but with or without java it fails, unless there's some cunning config I need to use?
Old 08 July 2019, 14:56   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Never tried, will give it a go when I get home. Suspect JS will kill my chances though!
Old 08 July 2019, 19:16   #3
nogginthenog
Amigan

There is a basic HTML mode. Try this: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
Old 08 July 2019, 19:33   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Never tried, will give it a go when I get home. Suspect JS will kill my chances though!
That would be much appreciated. :-)
Old 08 July 2019, 21:53   #5
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
There is a basic HTML mode. Try this: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/
Despite my best efforts, I cannot reach this page on the miggy. :-(
Old 09 July 2019, 09:49   #6
Sir_Lucas

What sort of information do you get?
Gmail with Ibrowse should look like this:

Old 09 July 2019, 11:20   #7
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I'm not getting very much feedback, at least to my eyes. Is the image above using the mentioned basic HTML mode for Gmail?

With that it takes me to the sign in page, then after signing in (twice), it either complains I'm not running java (if I have it disabled) or (if I leave java on) there is a lengthy java code sequence that eventually times out.

If I use the normal mode, after signing in, I just get the lengthy java loading and time-out.

I've possibly messed up the settings, I've done various things to the java, frames, spoofing and other settings. :-/

But I'm very encouraged by the picture. This is a real, 68k amiga, on IBrowse 2.4?
Old 09 July 2019, 11:39   #8
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

An update, had a fight with this but think my issue is related to using 2FA - I can't get further than username and password entry

I do however have my plus.net email account working via IMAP and Simplemail: http://simplemail.sourceforge.net/

Don't know if you've tried Simplemail yet? (I prefer it to YAM [ sacrilege I know ])
Old 09 July 2019, 14:38   #9
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Simplemail is downloaded and waiting to try but I want to see if I can do this with a browser. I was an Tin/Admail/Thor guy myself, so have no particular YAM/Simplemail biases. :-)
Old 11 July 2019, 00:31   #10
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I'm not getting very much feedback, at least to my eyes. Is the image above using the mentioned basic HTML mode for Gmail?

With that it takes me to the sign in page, then after signing in (twice), it either complains I'm not running java (if I have it disabled) or (if I leave java on) there is a lengthy java code sequence that eventually times out.

If I use the normal mode, after signing in, I just get the lengthy java loading and time-out.

I've possibly messed up the settings, I've done various things to the java, frames, spoofing and other settings. :-/

But I'm very encouraged by the picture. This is a real, 68k amiga, on IBrowse 2.4?

Unless you have an 040 or 060 then the Java will be glacially slow and will definitely time out these days. Go to the IBrowse settings (not the MUI one) and increase the timeout counter to its maximum (I don't know what that figure is, but on my 80MHz 060 I have it set to 25 seconds which is perfect for my use as it's rare something goes into the 20's). I'll add that I don't use Google Mail so I can't tell you how long it should take and I don't know what CPU you are running either. But put the slider way up to it's maximum and see if that helps.

If you have any issues with IBrowse and secure sites (AmiSSL env var) then there is a recent thread over on Amiga.org on this issue. https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?to....msg844182#new
Old 11 July 2019, 17:08   #11
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Thanks Paul, I actually spotted that, and I think you're right, maximum is 25 or 30, but it didn't help. I'm using a Blizzard 1260 @50.
Old 15 July 2019, 12:18   #12
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Thanks Paul, I actually spotted that, and I think you're right, maximum is 25 or 30, but it didn't help. I'm using a Blizzard 1260 @50.

I checked last night and mine is set to 20 seconds. My idea is that if any Javascript takes 20 seconds or more then the webpage isn't worth my time. On my machine most Javascript is between one and ten seconds.