English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 28 May 2013, 00:06   #1
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Bloodwych - WHDload v2.5 beta with CD32 controls

Hello all

I have uploaded to The Zone a couple of pre-installed packages of a recent slave update i have worked on. This is an update for one of my favourite games, Bloodwych. I would appreciate any feedback on these!

There were two issues I wanted to address, i have done so via CUSTOM tooltypes.

Firstly, the requirement of using Arrow Keys, plus HELP/DEL to move around - excellent control system for an A500, not so good for an A600 or a modern laptop. I have therefore added a tooltype that does the following;

CUSTOM2=1 ... Swap Player 1/Player 2 control keys (so that player 1 can be on the left if wanted, or a single player can use teh QWEASD controls)

CUSTOM2=2 ... remaps the second player from the cursor keys to UIOJKL ... thus making the controls suitable for an A600 or a laptop.

CUSTOM2=3 ... this of course, does both of the above.

The second CUSTOM tooltype i've added, is for CD32 Controls - unusaly you might say for an RPG game, but one i think works quite well given Bloodwych's 'fast arcade style'....

I wanted to replicate the previous Pad mappings i've used on the PS3 pad and PSP... albeit with a slight variation to allow for the fact only one set of direction keys are available (meaning that cursor control, and movement control have to operate separately)

CUSTOM3=1 enables CD32 controls for both players.... in doing so Player one is automatically changed to a joystick control rather than the mouse of the original game.

Standard controls are as follows;

Red - normal 'fire' or click
Blue - switches 'walk mode' on - at which point the cursor will not move.
Green - makes your party attack (even in walk mode)
Yellow - open a door in front of you (even in walk mode)

When 'walk mode' is enabled, using the direction buttons will move you as normal (i.e. like with the keyboard controls) and FWD/RWD can be used to rotate.

By adding values of '2' or '4' to the CUSTOM3 tooltype (i.e. =3, =5 or =7) you can change the operation of the 'blue' button from a toggle mode, to a 'hold to operate' mode, for each player.... CUSTOM3=7 therefore used the 'hold' method for both players.

When using CD32 controls, you are limited to 1 save slot only (slot 0)

All registration only features have been removed, as agreed with Girv.

I will be glad to hear your feedback on this!!

Cheers.
Old 01 June 2013, 08:40   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Any takers?

I guess the man "Bloodwych" himself isn't around to test at the mo!

I will crack-on with adding the same functions to the Extended Levels...
Old 01 June 2013, 11:00   #3
Gaula92

I have both an Amiga 600 and a laptop here, even if I never player this game back in the day, but I'm using this slave on the Minimig and it works fine.
I will test it on the A600 and laptop.
Old 02 June 2013, 12:56   #4
Gaula92

Tested and it seems to work fine on both real A600 and FS-UAE using my laptop's keyboard!
Old 05 June 2013, 23:44   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

I uploaded a couple of "slave file only" updates to the Zone (should work fine with other pre-installed packs)

Main update is the disabling of the pointer when the default CD32 "walk mode" is enabled. Also a slave for the Extended Levels is uploaded, and I added the WHD v17 config options on the splash screen.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Fixed one bug produced by CD32 patch last night - have uploaded to the Zone pre-installed versions of BW and Ext.Levels including a save file for the latter.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 06 June 2013 at 10:39.