DamienD
Banned

Moon Child [AGA] - "HD install" --> "ADFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
<snip>

<snip>
I've now made a "HD install" --> "ADF" file of "Moon Child"

Use an "A1200 - 2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM configuration"...

As one part of the hard drive install is buggy, see post #85 above (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...3&postcount=85) I left this out...

"Moon Child (demo-playable) (199x)(Team Hoi)(AGA)[unreleased].zip" is now in The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS"
Old 14 August 2016, 01:36   #2
DamienD
Banned

Re: Moon Child AGA yet again......

Given the awesome news from the Amiga God "Toni Wilen", that now everything from this [unreleased] gem is working in WinUAE (with the latest beta); I thought it only right to update my previous "HD install" --> "ADF" package...

Damn; this one was very difficult for me... Given that the main file "Moonchild.exe" is way too big to fit onto an .ADF (even when compressed), I was at a loss to find a solution

Thanks, as always, to my EAB friends in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1105992, I finally managed to piece together a solution

Basically the following steps were undertaken:
  • Extract HD files to a WB 3.1 .HDF / directory.
  • LZX everything up into a single file "MoonChild.lzx".
  • Use "FSplit" to break the above file into 3 parts.
  • Copy each part to the corresponding 3 disks.
  • Write the required batch files and then copy each split file to each disk.
  • When actually running the .ADFs, copy each of the split files from each disk into RAM.
  • Join all 3 files together and then extract "MoonChild.lzx" to RAM (made this part visible so you know things are still happening).
  • Delete all 3 files and the "MoonChild.lzx" file to free up RAM.
  • Load WorkBench.
As per usual, the package supports 1 disk drive (and will ask you to insert the next disk / disks) or works with 2 / 3 disk drives if you have them...

Unfortunately though, due to the amount of files being extracted into RAM (and also what the game needs available to run), the only downfall is that you need to use an AGA configuration with "2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM" (or have those specs in your real Amiga)...

This release is really for people that:

... Don't have a hard drive.
... Don't know how to extract / install etc. to a hard drive in order to play.
... Use GameBase Amiga.
... Have HxC Gotek hardware.

Enjoy

You can find the files I created in the usual places i.e. The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS" or "Commodore_Amiga/[unreleased]/modified"

@PortugesePilot; my friend, would you mind testing on your real A1200 (with HxC Gotek hardware installed) and report back?

Last edited by DamienD; 20 February 2017 at 21:00.
Old 14 August 2016, 12:28   #3
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
(...) @PortugesePilot; my friend, would you mind testing on your real A1200 (with HxC Gotek hardware installed) and report back?
Hum. Somehow it didn't work. When it stops unpacking the files and asks for disk 1 again, I assigned disk 1 into the Gotek, it loads the disk but then asks for disk 1 again (as if it was the wrong disk). Tried it with all 3 disks and it didn't work.

I replicated this behaviour using a one-drive config on WinUAE, so apparently the game only loads properly with a three drive config.
Old 14 August 2016, 12:52   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Hum. Somehow it didn't work. When it stops unpacking the files and asks for disk 1 again, I assigned disk 1 into the Gotek, it loads the disk but then asks for disk 1 again (as if it was the wrong disk). Tried it with all 3 disks and it didn't work.

I replicated this behaviour using a one-drive config on WinUAE, so apparently the game only loads properly with a three drive config.
Ooops, sorry. Noticed that late last night... It was a small mistake on my end; forgot to create / assign a "Libs" directory in RAM. Without this you are asked for Disk 1 again after processing through all 3 disks.

Fixed now and tested properly with 1 drive only. New file in The Zone! and on the EAB file server

Would you mind testing again please?
Old 14 August 2016, 14:25   #5
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Worked!
Old 18 August 2016, 02:29   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

Damn; this one was very difficult for me... Given that the main file "Moonchild.exe" is way too big to fit onto an .ADF (even when compressed), I was at a loss to find a solution
If it pleases you, I did a version of Moon Child AGA who goes on a single floppy (ADF) and it works with a basic A1200, seems as well that started from floppy there are no graphics issues on WinUAE 3.3.0 Stable, do a test you, i attach floppy.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 August 2016 at 14:13.
Old 18 August 2016, 11:20   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If it pleases you, I did a version of Moon Child AGA who goes on a single floppy (ADF) and it works with a basic A1200, seems as well that started from floppy there are no graphics issues on WinUAE 3.3.0 Stable, do a test you, i attach floppy.
That's pretty cool indeed AMIGASYSTEM

Need to take a look as to how you did this; some sort of cruncher / compressor I imagine

One thing though, it only contains the following like my first attempt (which has always worked in WinUAE v3.3.0):

... MoonChildFireTest
... OldMoonChild

The file that has graphics issues and doesn't work in v3.3.0 is "MoonChild". This is also the large 2.5MB file, hence why my 2nd attempt is spread across 3 disks, contains all 3 x "MoonChild" files and needs 2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM for extraction / playing.
Old 18 August 2016, 13:23   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

On the Amiga there are many compressors, in this case as they were only "executable" I used PowerPacker that allows you to "auto unpack" the compressed files without the need for libraries or other software (see attached floppy content) and if I remember correctly is also compatible with OS 1.3. There is also the excellent PowerData which allows to comment on everything including data files such as images, documents, game data, music etc, in this case you need to use on top of the startup-sequence a small tool to autoscompattare everything on the fly, comodo per integrare tutti i floppy del Workbench in un solo Floppy (see attached Video). As soon as possible I make a nice video that shows how to compress all with a click of Dopus4.

Various System Disk on one floppy
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 August 2016, 00:46   #9
DamienD
Banned

Alrighty; thanks to AMIGASYSTEM for giving me new ideas / options, I've now managed to modify my complete "Moon Child" disks to run with only "2MB Chip & 4MB Fast" instead of "2MB Chip & 8MB Fast"

You can find the "new" files that I created in the usual places i.e. The Zone! and also on the EAB file server under the directory "~Uploads/DamienD/HD INSTALL --> ADFS" or "Commodore_Amiga/[unreleased]/modified"

@PortugesePilot; my friend, would you mind testing yet again on your real A1200 (with HxC Gotek hardware installed) and report back?
Old 23 August 2016, 13:03   #10
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Hi. Sorry for the delay, I've been absent from home these last few days.

Anyway, tested the new version of the game and after it loads, it gives me an error that reads: "invalid resident library loadwb failed returncode 20"
Old 23 August 2016, 16:43   #11
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, that's very odd indeed.

Obviously I've tested this numerous times in WinUAE with only 1 drive (or 2 / 3 drives). Never had anything like that.

I'm assuming you get this error after extraction and loading WB?

Only think that's changed in this latest version is that I compressed the 3 files which means it will now run using "2MB Chip & 4MB Fast RAM".

I assume all is cool for you in WinUAE though; maybe it's something to do with the Gotek. I need to have a think...
Old 23 August 2016, 18:48   #12
DamienD
Banned

Yeah, out of suggestions really; can't replicate this no matter what I try

As mentioned above nothing has changed in terms of:

... Startup-Sequence / scripts.
... Directories / files on Disk 1 that copied over into RAM.
... Assigns that have been made.
... All files within the split archive are exactly the same except for the now compressed "MoonChild.exe" + "MoonChildFireTest.exe" + "OldMoonChild.exe".

Thought maybe it's the ROM that you have in your real Amiga but it can't be that as the last "2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM" version worked fine...

So only thing I can suggest at the moment is to do the following:

a) Re-download the archive from The Zone! or EAB File Server, which contains the following:
... Moon Child (demo-playable) (199x)(Team Hoi)(AGA)(Disk 1 of 3)[unreleased].adf [CRC32 6EDE7313]
... Moon Child (demo-playable) (199x)(Team Hoi)(AGA)(Disk 2 of 3)[unreleased].adf [CRC32 2450B0F2]
... Moon Child (demo-playable) (199x)(Team Hoi)(AGA)(Disk 3 of 3)[unreleased].adf [CRC32 E73C089C]

b) Transfer across to your Gotek again and then test.

Anyone else (emulated or real Amiga) have this issue?
Old 23 August 2016, 20:36   #13
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I think it's probably due to my ROMs (Cloanto 3.X), so this probably hampers Cloanto 3.X machines and the A4000s only. Kickstart 3.0 and 3.1 A1200s will have no issue. Maybe if you include the file 'workbench.library' on the LIBS folder it will solve the issue.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:01   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
I think it's probably due to my ROMs (Cloanto 3.X), so this probably hampers Cloanto 3.X machines and the A4000s only. Kickstart 3.0 and 3.1 A1200s will have no issue. Maybe if you include the file 'workbench.library' on the LIBS folder it will solve the issue.
Yeah I was thinking this but the grey area is as follows; why does the 1st disk version "2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM" work on your A1200? Also any other "HD installs" --> "ADFs" that I've created / you've tested on your A1200 work without this file...

Anyway; let me quickly update and send over to you for testing

Please PM me your e-mail address my friend as I would like you to test this on your real A1200 (with Cloanto 3.X ROM) and me in WinUAE (with 3.0 & 3.1 ROMS) before releasing to public

Edit: hmmm, you may need to e-mail this to me as I can't find "workbench.library" anywhere...

Last edited by DamienD; 23 August 2016 at 21:10.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:21   #15
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@PortuguesePilot

You could try commenting out the loadwb+Endcli part of the Startup-sequence2 (disk1) and then type moonchild.exe at the prompt.
Might narrow it down a bit.

Last edited by Arnie; 23 August 2016 at 21:35.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:34   #16
DamienD
Banned

Cheers Arnie, appreciate your help as always my friend; though I'm not sure that this will help...

It's most probably an issue with WB not loading on PortuguesePilot's A1200 (with Cloanto 3.X ROM) due to the missing "workbench.library" (which apparently these ROMs need). Once WB does actually load then I'm pretty positive that all 3 icons will start each corresponding file correctly.

Problem is that PortuguesePilot isn't even getting to the stage where he can double-click icons currently...

...again though, it's just very odd as the 1st disk version "2MB Chip & 8MB Fast RAM" works on his A1200

Last edited by DamienD; 23 August 2016 at 21:40.
Old 23 August 2016, 21:36   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I thought it might have something to do with WB loading. That's why I suggested cutting that bit out to make sure.

Does the A4000 3.1.rom that's used in WinUAE have the workbench.library missing? If it does then it wouldn't work in WinUAE using the A4000 config would it?
Old 24 August 2016, 10:11   #18
DamienD
Banned

Ok, managed to get "workbench.library" from an .ISO that I had for "Cloanto Amiga Forever 6.0".

The "workbench.library" is dated "21/02/2001 10:25 PM", not sure if it's changed at all since then but anyway...

Next issue was; it's "196 KB" in size so wouldn't fit onto Disk 1

...not to worry; played around and found a solution

Anyway; have now tested these new disks in WinUAE with a standard "KS ROM v3.0 (A1200) rev 39.106 (512k).rom" or a "KS ROM v3.1 (A1200) rev 40.68 (512k).rom" plus 1 drive / 2 drives / 3 drives and there's no impact what-so-ever for me.

Now, "The biggest unanswered questions is, where is the money?"... no sorry, it's "Does this work for you PortuguesePilot?".

I've e-mailed the file over to you my friend. Let me know how you get on
Old 24 August 2016, 18:24   #19
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
(...) I've e-mailed the file over to you my friend. Let me know how you get on
Odd. I haven't got any inbox mail. Could you send it to me again, please?
Old 24 August 2016, 19:36   #20
DamienD
Banned

Yup; strange...

Just forwarded the e-mail (with attachment) again