English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 May 2007, 00:02   #81
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
You've pretty much pin pointed the Amiga's two worst genres.

The Amiga couldn't do decent FPS because it didn't have good enough hardware, and it couldn't do decent fighters because it's default control scheme sucked arse. You can't have a decent beat-em-up planned around a 1 button system.
Totally agree

Must say that FPS didn't bother me that much, fighters did however
Old 16 May 2007, 00:03   #82
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
You've pretty much pin pointed the Amiga's two worst genres.

The Amiga couldn't do decent FPS because it didn't have good enough hardware, and it couldn't do decent fighters because it's default control scheme sucked arse. You can't have a decent beat-em-up planned around a 1 button system.
Two words: Shadow Fighter.

Oh, and Gloom is ace.
Old 16 May 2007, 00:08   #83
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Have you ever played a beat em up on the megadrive or SNES? They beat the living shit out of everything the Amiga ever had to offer. Shadow Fighter was simply "alright", that was it. Nothing to write home about if you had any other console.

And unfortunately the PC beat the living shit out of the Amiga in FPS. Granted Gloom was entertaining but Doom really did kill it in the water.
Old 16 May 2007, 00:13   #84
Graham Humphrey

Yeah, but I still think Shadow Fighter and Gloom are both great games (and to be honest, I'm not a great fan of either genre as a rule). Though in general I agree with you on both genres (you can count all the good FPSs and beat-em-ups on the Amiga on one hand).
Old 16 May 2007, 00:21   #85
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I would call both Gloom and Shadow Fighter 'alright' games. I just think that Amiga users were starved for quality games and latched on to what was on offer (not saying you were the same).
Old 16 May 2007, 00:26   #86
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I just think that Amiga users were starved for quality games and latched on to what was on offer (not saying you were the same).
Again I think that as a general rule this is true (if you look at most mag reviews around 95-96 this is proven - I mean, Amiga Format gave Breathless 95% or something equally ridiculous).

If you look at Amiga games released in 1995 and beyond - so many got good reviews, but you play them and they are just glorified PD games, to all intents and purposes (mainly because they were put together by people in their spare time but being sold for £20-30? Crazy).

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what my point is so I'll shut up.
Old 16 May 2007, 05:23   #87
VermillioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
I will have a lookie latter and see if the source code is released for it after all its 95% static screenies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
A game doesn't just "need to be ported to Amiga". It needs to make proper use of the hardware too. I think the problem of most games on Amiga was that they didn't make full use of the hardware. I'd rather play a game with a proprietary idea that suits the Amiga than some laggy crap that is exactly like the original.
Absolutely..
If a good conversion of Resident Evil surfaced that made proper use of hardware, supported cd32 pads etc and included some decent "extras" to make the amiga version "superior" to it's original platforms - I'd buy it straight away..

Old 16 May 2007, 10:37   #88
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It'd probably be cheaper to buy a second hand Gamecube and RE
Old 16 May 2007, 12:07   #89
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Bruce Lee from the C64. Loved it.
Old 16 May 2007, 12:10   #90
VermillioN

Yeh but the Lamepube version wont sport the spanking amiga extras

Seriously tho I'd pay money for a good conversion..

Old 16 May 2007, 12:34   #91
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Lamepube? That's not even clever!

I'm sure an 060 version would be awesome though...

/me sniggers
Old 16 May 2007, 15:23   #92
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325
It's Raid, Raid 2 - Mission X, Raid 3 - Total Fire, Raid 4 - Super Raid
Thanks.
Old 16 May 2007, 15:54   #93
Legerdemain

It would have been nice to have at least ONE J-RPG released for the Amiga.

Just as it would have been nice with one Zelda-style game that held some kind of quality and wasn't 'area' based like Legends (which by the way suffered from ugly scrolling routines and terrible slowdowns during some of the boss-fights) and such. The Speris Legacy visually came close (although the demo vere more up to the job than the final version), but unfortunately I don't have many good words to say concerning the game; lack of boss-fights, 'area' based even though it wants to give the illusion that is isn't... and it feels rushed and I couldn't be bothered less with the story. I think I got more disappointed with The Speris Legacy than I got with The Rise of the Robots... just because my hopes were higher when it came to Speris... it could have been the first (and only) truly Zelda-style game on the Amiga with class. But, no.

Then we have these games that could have been released for the Amiga and at least delayed the exodus to the DOS/Windows platform: Wolfenstein 3D for the A500 and later on Doom for the AGA-based Amigas. Doom should have required an 030-accelerator... just to boost the sales of the hardware and once and for all show the game developers that they had no need to stick to the limits of the core-hardware that the platform had to offer. Such a shame.

...and finally, we have this game that I would have liked to see on the Amiga just because it is such a brillant game: Ys. Ys must be one of the most ported games ever... the series has more or less touched every platform there is (well, not really, but anyways) and an Amiga port done with the Amiga hardware in mind could have been such a nice thing. One little gem of an action-RPG... well, the entire series offers some of the nicest action-RPG moments of all time (not to mention the terrific soundtracks), but at least the first five game in the series could have recieved an Amiga port (just because it wouldn't have been any problems since the hardware is more than up to the job).

It would have been so nice if the Amiga would have established itself as the premier computer platform when it came to gaming in Japan. If there is one thing I think the Amiga lacks when it comes to games... it is the Japanese culture of gaming. Not that European games can't be great... but just imagine what a J-RPG, Zelda style action-adventure, a Metroid style platform-adventure or a true Japanese SHMUP (why didn't we get a GOOD port of R-Type and why did never Gradius/Nemesis get a port? Gradius could have been an arcade-perfect port) have done for the game library...

Aaaaaaaaaaah...

Now I'm almost getting upset.

And sad.
Old 16 May 2007, 15:54   #94
MainCore

And don't forget...

...M.U.L.E. the best game ever created IMHO.
Old 16 May 2007, 16:33   #95
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
These games where too late to arrive but if Amiga had lasted 1-2 more years, we might have seen these on it

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far (Historical WW2 strategy game)

Toonstruck (Similar to the Monkey Island series but in another universe with Christopher Lloyd! *BackToTheFuture*)

Holiday Island (A game in the style of SimCity)
Old 16 May 2007, 17:16   #96
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss
Holiday Island (A game in the style of SimCity)
Agreed, very nice game, all though a bit on the easy side.

EDIT: on that note, maybe Railroad Tycoon II.
Old 16 May 2007, 17:16   #97
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I would like to have seen Tempest 2000 on the amiga.
Old 16 May 2007, 17:22   #98
Graham Humphrey

Putty Squad!
Old 16 May 2007, 17:25   #99
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Putty Squad was released, I binned my copy of it yesterday because the 6 disks were cluttering up my drawer.
Old 16 May 2007, 20:02   #100
s2325
Zone Friend

try Vektor Storm http://hol.abime.net/1561