English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2015, 13:43   #121
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmes View Post
I think it's a scam, or something to scare the guy. I do understand that companies need to protect themselves, but in this case, no one was making money with their products. In fact they are the only ones that benefict from this.
He was served papers too at his home address, so doubt it's a scam. In any case he'll need to get advice from a lawyer (which is usually free at first contact - at least he can get some 'advice' with how to proceed).
Old 26 January 2015, 14:02   #122
OldB0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
He was served papers too at his home address, so doubt it's a scam. In any case he'll need to get advice from a lawyer (which is usually free at first contact - at least he can get some 'advice' with how to proceed).
Don't know if they have the equivalent in Sweden, but in the UK we have the Citizens Advice Bureau. It's Government run and gives free legal advice. If you have the equivalent in Sweden, that's where I'd go before going to a solicitor etc.
Old 26 January 2015, 14:18   #123
colourwheel64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Your attitude hasn't exactly been a beacon of excellence has it chap?
I'm doing pretty well considering being in the company of the likes of you, Galahad of Fairlight.

Fairlight were a group of software pirates in the 90s for those that don't know.

They basically rewrote the bootblock of a game to show their logo, make it easy to copy by removing the copy-protection and then spread the copied discs internationally.

"Welcome to another Fairlight presentation!" Along with some blippy music and a spinny shape.

But the real programmers were the ones that wrote the games, and it was them that lost out with Fairlight spreading games for free.

There's another old saying, "Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones."

You pretend to be sticking up the the little man, but the reality is that you're a big part of why people describe the Amiga as dead.

I appreciate what you did to help the release of Putty Squad last year, but a few good deeds don't make up for a life of crime.
Old 26 January 2015, 14:27   #124
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i refer the honorable gentleman to this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=33602

let us not degenerate into petty mud slinging. we all know what Fairlight did back in the day. it is "poisoning the well" and "ad hominem" and no doubt a mod is reaching for the banhammer as we speak.

we are all here to support each other, not to insult each other. sometimes the best sort of support is to respectfully correct them, but never to attack them personally.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 26 January 2015 at 14:33.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:04   #125
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Off topic posts have been removed. Use the thread that Mrs Beanbag pointed to instead. Thank you.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:08   #126
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourwheel64 View Post
Do we all know?

They bribed a train driver to deliver vast quantities of games from a games shop where one member of the group worked to a base on the West coast of Sweden so that they could attach their boot-block and pirate the games as they were released.

It was a huge criminal operation.

You don't just palm something like that off as mud-slinging.

It's relevant to this thread!
If you actually bothered to get to know Galahad, you will find him to be an ok decent person.

So we are now judging people on stuff they did when they were younger?
Loads of us did stupid things when we were younger. Bet you didn't complain when you got a copied games back in the day.

EDIT:- Sorry TCD, posted after you.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:09   #127
OlafSch

Quote:
Do we all know?

They bribed a train driver to deliver vast quantities of games from a games shop where one member of the group worked to a base on the West coast of Sweden so that they could attach their boot-block and pirate the games as they were released.

It was a huge criminal operation.

You don't just palm something like that off as mud-slinging.

It's relevant to this thread!
Is it? Only your opinion is relevant or correct?

Using graphics or characters or brands (or anything else) that are owned by others is not legal and they have the right to request removal of it. The kind the law firm is acting (sending email with only short time to react) sounds at least doubtful to me, he should go to a attorney and ask for opinion. What we all think (or not) is irrelevant anyway.

Your postings (after not posting at all) sound hateful. Copying of software certainly was (next to others) one of the reason why amiga went under. But that is not the topic here nor what Galahad did 20 years ago. Today the platform is commercially dead and I assume that you do not active support it anymore. Today all are just "amiga fans" including those that cracked software a long time ago. So do not start a crusade here, I do not think that people will like it.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:13   #128
colourwheel64
Banned

On what planet does breaking the law make you qualified to speak on the subject?

I never intended all my posts to end up here.

I just wanted people to know what to do to avoid Hipoonios situation, and help Hipoonios out too.

Shame anything sensible gets drowned in these forums as Beanbag proved with their piracy themed thread links.

There are plenty of people that bought their Amiga games and didn't get involved in piracy.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:25   #129
OlafSch

Quote:
On what planet does breaking the law make you qualified to speak on the subject?

I never intended all my posts to end up here.

I just wanted people to know what to do to avoid Hipoonios situation, and help Hipoonios out too.

Shame anything sensible gets drowned in these forums as Beanbag proved with their piracy themed thread links.

There are plenty of people that bought their Amiga games and didn't get involved in piracy.
most were kids at that time with not much money. That is no excuse it is still "stealing" if you use a copy of a game and it would have been better if more people would have bought the games they liked instead of expecting to get everything free. I think everyone at that time had copyies. But that is a different discussion.

Hipoonios should go to a attorney asap and get some information about the legal situation.
Old 26 January 2015, 15:35   #130
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
I'm doing pretty well considering being in the company of the likes of you, Galahad of Fairlight.

Fairlight were a group of software pirates in the 90s for those that don't know.

They basically rewrote the bootblock of a game to show their logo, make it easy to copy by removing the copy-protection and then spread the copied discs internationally.

"Welcome to another Fairlight presentation!" Along with some blippy music and a spinny shape.

But the real programmers were the ones that wrote the games, and it was them that lost out with Fairlight spreading games for free.

There's another old saying, "Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones."

You pretend to be sticking up the the little man, but the reality is that you're a big part of why people describe the Amiga as dead.

I appreciate what you did to help the release of Putty Squad last year, but a few good deeds don't make up for a life of crime.

Old 26 January 2015, 15:38   #131
Vot

Quote:

If you think piracy killed the amiga you have no clue
Old 26 January 2015, 15:44   #132
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
If you think piracy killed the amiga you have no clue
Actually C= did an excellent job on this
Old 26 January 2015, 15:46   #133
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
they were the best at it
Old 26 January 2015, 15:50   #134
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Lets not generalise here! Commodore USA dropped the bomb, other markets were still making money until the end.

Other than that, ignore the troll people!
Old 26 January 2015, 16:05   #135
colourwheel64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
So we are now judging people on stuff they did when they were younger?
It isn't as if they were that young.

Hipoonios is 36 and Galahad must have been aged between 19-21 twenty years ago.

If he's a nice bloke these days then I genuinely do sympathise, but he didn't come across that way in his post earlier, and it's very difficult to look beyond a person's tainted past. Especially one on the scale of Fairlight.
Old 26 January 2015, 16:16   #136
OlafSch

Quote:
It isn't as if they were that young.

Hipoonios is 36 and Galahad must have been aged between 19-21 twenty years ago.

If he's a nice bloke these days then I genuinely do sympathise, but he didn't come across that way in his post earlier, and it's very difficult to look beyond a person's tainted past. Especially one on the scale of Fairlight.
we have 2015 now. Let the dead stay in the graves please. You do not like Galahad because of his past? Ok that is ok. But really I do not think that people here really care about it today.

And BTW we have partly really stupid laws, or to say it better, law firm friendly. Hipoonios should take a attorney himself and we cannot give any real advices because laws are different from country to country and noone is attorney here either. That is all.
Old 26 January 2015, 16:19   #137
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Right, thread closed for now. All the best for hipoonios and please create a new thread (hopefully without the massive off topic content...) once there are news about the situation.