English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 30 May 2017, 22:24   #1
jmmijo

Steam Machine vs. Bare Bone

So I'm thinking of just creating a new Bare Bones PC for Steam Machine use and as a DLNA server on my LAN.

Here is something I wanted to ask as I think this is the way I want to go with it.

There is an advantage to getting a pre-built Steam Machine in that it's already setup and pre-configured however you are limited to some degree of the upgrade path.

So if I build a bare bones with new and recycled parts I can pick and choose what I want in the build and also setup a nice dual-boot with Windows 10 + Ubuntu for playing/testing both the Windows and Linux side of gaming.

My issue is this, I've not really been able to find a USB HUB/Server that support broadcasting DLNA over Ethernet where I can just connect up all my external 8TB HDD's to it and stream my videos.

I can do this on my Windows machines using UMS (Universal Media Server) and of course the 8TB HDD's are connected via USB3 to the machine, but this means during the summer months it heats up the room a ton so I'm looking for a cooler option that could be on all year around.

I know there are a ton of pre-built Bare Bones PC's as well but again you can't really upgrade them too much either.

So is there any other option for this or is it a matter of decently powered rig still going to heat up things during the summer months ?

Also looking for any thoughts on CPU's + GPU's that seem to work well with Ubuntu, Windows isn't going to be an issue of course.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 July 2017, 16:11   #2
EugeneNine

I hang my media drive off of a raspberry Pi and run miniDLNA on it. This lets me leave the little Pi running all the time. I used an old microsd card from when I put a bigger on in my phone for the Pi OS and an old phone charger from phones my kids and broken/lost so it cost nothing more than the $35 Pi as the rest was spare parts.
Old 22 July 2017, 03:41   #3
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
I hang my media drive off of a raspberry Pi and run miniDLNA on it. This lets me leave the little Pi running all the time. I used an old microsd card from when I put a bigger on in my phone for the Pi OS and an old phone charger from phones my kids and broken/lost so it cost nothing more than the $35 Pi as the rest was spare parts.
So how does the miniDLNA app work on the Pi ?

Can it serve thousands of media files on the LAN ?

One thing I've noticed about some of the NAS devices that have DLNA built-in is they are really slow to serve more then a couple of hundred files stored on the device ?

In my case I have multiple 8TB external USB3 HDD's for media storage, most likely would use a USB hub in this case but the host machine has to have enough horsepower to serve a lot of files.

Currently running Universal Media Server on a Windows 10 machine and it works great but that means having to leave the machine on even during the hot summer months if I want to view any of the media files
Old 22 July 2017, 18:42   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Is your pr0n collection really that big?

I don't have this issue, so sorry, no solution for it...

Except, saw nice video of creating storage server out of spare parts...

Plex Server:
[ Show youtube player ]

NAS Servers:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...free+nas+sever

Hak5 has some good videos about VPN, servers...
Old 23 July 2017, 00:56   #5
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Is your pr0n collection really that big?

I don't have this issue, so sorry, no solution for it...

Except, saw nice video of creating storage server out of spare parts...

Plex Server:
[ Show youtube player ]

NAS Servers:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...free+nas+sever

Hak5 has some good videos about VPN, servers...
Yeppers, it's that big

So far the Universal Media Server connected to these external HDD's does not seem to have any lag when browser/searching/scanning through any of the media files.

It could be that the DLNA servers on NAS devices are underpowered ?

I even tried the built-in DLNA server in my ASUS high-end router and it had the same issues, it's basically like the one on my older NAS device, too slow

Thanks for the links, I've heard of FreeNAS just never checked it out.
Old 24 July 2017, 02:54   #6
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I never tried it either, but thinking to build one from my Power Edge old server, since I can get couple 2GB HD for few bucks. I might have to get a HD Raid controller to be able to connect multiple HDs.

My newer server is used for VMWare (32GB memory with 2 x Xeon processor) mostly for testing stuff (Ubuntu and Windows servers / VM Machines)

I don't remember last time I used any of my AVI files... no enough time to watch everything on Netflix/Amazon/Hoopla/Cable.
Old 26 July 2017, 01:40   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I never tried it either, but thinking to build one from my Power Edge old server, since I can get couple 2GB HD for few bucks. I might have to get a HD Raid controller to be able to connect multiple HDs.

My newer server is used for VMWare (32GB memory with 2 x Xeon processor) mostly for testing stuff (Ubuntu and Windows servers / VM Machines)

I don't remember last time I used any of my AVI files... no enough time to watch everything on Netflix/Amazon/Hoopla/Cable.
See I don't use any kind of streaming service, even though I am an Amazon Prime member, Comcast On Demand just has too much stuff to view and all my media files as well
Old 26 July 2017, 08:06   #8
Akira

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running Kodi. It has two HDs connected to it via USB, one for video and one for music.

It serves media to any device in the house graciously. I have tens of thousands of tunes. Who needs Scrotify? �� no lags, no issues. Any modern player that can access DLNA servers will get filelists quickly and effortlessly. I can even play to a web browser.

Setting it up is a bit fiddly if you don't have a well organized, well tagged library (I didn't scrape the music), but it works amazingly well for $40. I thought of building a NAS for a while to do this, but this ended up being the best solution and working great. It is connected to my TV and hifi so I use it a lot in the living room too.

I have another RPi, a model one, running OpenMediaVault for any other files I need on the network (this is an easy to setup NAS software, just not very complex) .

I recommend giving the Raspberry a try.

Last edited by Akira; 26 July 2017 at 18:59.
Old 26 July 2017, 17:05   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have 3 raspberry pies (RPi1, 2 and 3), I might try it as I use only 1 (RPi3 running RetroPie). I was under impression KODI is just for viewing video/music files, not for distributing them. What instructions for setup did you follow?
Old 26 July 2017, 19:06   #10
Akira

Oh, no, Kodi is wonderful, a media center full package. It is also a great DLNA receiver and Airplay display (not everything works but most of what I want does). I never found use for Plex because Kodi does all I need. The only reason I'd use Plex is if I wanted to do Netflix (this is the ONLY thing that Kodi doesn't do and a major drawback, but I endure. Maybe one day Netflix open up their player code).

Personally I use Openelec, but the very latest version has been giving me a load of trouble. I think maybe Raspbian, OSMC or LibreElec might be worth a try, but I have been using OpenELEC for too long and am enduring the shitty performance of the latest build just in hopes they'll fix it next time. There's also some issue with the SMB server not restarting properly on every reboot, which I don't do often, but when I do, I hate it. As I said, hopefully they will fix all these bugs on version 8.0.5.

No particular guide I followed, just the official, for OpenELEC. It's stupid easy:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HO...The_Disk_Image

I always make the booting from SD card but immediately load everything else from a USB stick, so if you haven't done that ever, here's two guides:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install...with_USB_drive
https://blog.petrockblock.com/forums...e-best-method/

And a bigger, foolproof tutorial I saved, but describes how to install Raspbmc:
https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...-with-raspbmc/

I have this media center on 24/7 and use it every day, most of the day, to play music, at nights to watch stuff on TV. I have been able to have something playing on the living room's hi-fi and stream other content to another device within the house. It works very well. Performance with a Raspberry Pi 1 was OK, but version 3 has made it much better and I am not afraid to do things like what I just described because there's plenty of CPU time.

Hope that helps!
Old 27 July 2017, 21:28   #11
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Thank you!
AdSense AdSense