English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 January 2009, 12:55   #61
extralife

What u say gilgamesh, is actually what the perfect amiga should be, I have asked myself aswell what the amiga was and tbh it was "just" a console disguised as a computer, now this might sound bad, but thats not the case, imho that was one of the amiga's most powerfull strengths, a system that every teen in europe owned for games and was able to use with just slamming in a disk if he cared less, but with the possibility to do something constructive instead of just loading up the next game after another and where a standard was set, unlike with pc's without hardware limits. On amiga certain limits was allways set for people to work under, for combatibility reasons so most people could enjoy your work, the way those limits scaled leaves room for discussion, but if commodore wouldn't have been the ones holding the amiga back, i'm pretty sure we would have seen it competing with the consoles of today.
Something the last so called computer enterainment system might want to take a note on, might help move some consoles, instead of holding back
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 February 2009, 02:43   #62
tin
eezeenow!

Mine:

A small flat box with a network port and a HDMI out. It fits on a vesa mount, and has the holes to mount an LCD or Plasma onto it. It boots in seconds like always, and if not connected to anything else, searches for a controlling Amiga somewhere on the network. A decent modern, but not too expensive graphics chip. An updated AmigaOS (not anything else) so the smooth multi-tasking really is there - not pretend jerk-o-multitasking like we still get on Linux and Windows - and if there's a crash (cos there will be I am sure) a quick guru and reboot will be fine.

Then add a new Scala.

Maybe then Amiga can dominate digital signage for a start and we can rid the world of this shite - http://www.flickr.com/groups/657212@N21/pool/
Old 08 February 2009, 01:09   #63
Predabot

Tin... I don't know what Scala is... Except that it sounds like one of the non-english words for Scale.

Would you say your new Amiga would have Memory-protection btw? I recently read that no Amiga had that back in the day, and it caused a lot of security-issues. Would you include something similar to Windows UA on Vista, which is the extreme of such protection, or would you add something more discrete?

Yours actually sounds like a very realistic approach I have to add, that's why I'm asking.
Old 08 February 2009, 18:20   #64
tin
eezeenow!

Have a quick scan on youtube for "infochannel". Scala currently lives on as a Windows application.

As to memory protection, I personally prefer not, because IMHO it slows things down (AFAIK the OS has to broker all memory requests and check every one is legal = many more cpu cycles used per memory access) and to an extent it encouraged better code (you have a bug that brings down the entire machine often = nobody uses your product) - that is of course a pretty uninformed, IMHO view and I do appreciate that's a huge security risk in this day and age.

Regard it being a realistic approach, I see it as a market a new entrant could compete well in. Using Wintel for this sort of thing (as EVERYONE does atm) is fraught with problems and usually results in an unsatisfactory solution for the customer. A low-cost simple to deploy and use box, that can form a network of such boxes without configuration - and importantly generate an impressive looking end result - would I think become a de-facto standard and would get used everywhere. Think of the days when Amigas ran cable TV and digital signage everywhere because they were the cheapest and simplest machines to do it on - while actually having the capability to do it.

With visionary hardware design such as that of the original Amiga, this little display generating box could then worm it's way into other markets as the parent company made money from actual sales and the hardware made it's way out there in volume.

Coming in with the latest greatest computer (and therefore competing with windows) or games machines (with Xbox, PS3 etc) with the best will in the world is just never going to work - so I think something a little more subversive like this is required.
Old 18 March 2009, 12:28   #65
ImmortalA1000

Simple really, do what Hi-Toro did and look at what is around now and make something even more awesome using your own custom silicon and an advanced but cheaper CPU not many people have decided to use

Seriously look how the market has gone...

Apple gave up on esoteric PPC CPU and plumped for cheaper Intel units for performance/costs.
Microsoft & Sony & Nintendo all use ATI/Nvidia GPUs for performance/costs

So I don't think you can have a true Amiga anymore ie a machine which uses different but technologically better hardware to achieve better performance at LESS cost. Dig a little deeper and you will remember the C64 was only possible at that price because Jack Tramiel had the shrewd business acumen to purchase MOS Technologies. So to have that sort of advantage Amiga would need to own Nvidia/ATI and do their own chips at cost price.

So as none of this is possible that just leaves the OS...which actually there are two immediate things that neither OS X or Vista implements in this internet age which are crucial to the smooth running of your OS while it is permanently connected to the web. A new OS will never be a new Amiga though sadly.
Old 20 March 2009, 23:21   #66
Predabot

What two things is there that Win or OSX doesn't do? You don't actually mention in detail what they are...

I think the core of the Amiga is not that it have to be technologically superior compared to price, I think that it's the fusion between game-console and Personal Computer technology.

Combining soundchips from Creative Labs, CPU's from AMD, GPU's from ATi, and then tying everything together with a nice custom-made mobo chipset, is the way to go, IMHO.
AdSense AdSense