English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 March 2009, 16:48   #21
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Yes, well, looks like u uncovered an error in the ars technica article (...and did I mention it was a pity that the small number of sources may themselves contain mistakes.... think about the mistakes that would not be so obvious and then every webpage would parrot the single source resulting in rewriting history)

EDIT: Here is another page which gives further information - there used to be some similar english info that also said they were working in 1986 to design chips that could do 1024x1024 res with something like 64 or 128 colours (cannot confirm this anywhere except my bad memory and it is lost in the annals of weblore....), but it was scrapped by mgmt. Hence I guess shortly afterward you see these kinds of messages in the roms saying commodore stuffed everything up.

http://obligement.free.fr/articles/a...toire_1986.php

EDIT2: And here we are my memory is not so bad. 128 colours. "already designed and working, only Commodore refused to release them": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Ranger_Chipset

But to get back on topic, does anyone know which store I might see this mag in in Oz Melb?

Last edited by Calgor; 24 March 2009 at 17:23.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 March 2009, 18:08   #22
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Chiark - noticed those 'errors' Looks like someone hadn't done their homework

Still, at least the Amiga was recognised for once... think the last time was the 500 special 10 issues or so ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
I think I have first 20 or first issues of RetroGamer and I loved it back then. Bought an issue last month (it was from two months ago) and the magazine is not even remotely as good as it used to be A shame... it was just stuff you read on the internet anyway, for me it had almost no added value ... it might be just that issue though...
Yup, I cancelled my subscription last month. It's just boring at the moment and the lack of 'retro' stuff is even more lacking - they seem to be covering just emulation platforms more than ever now

Last edited by Paul_s; 24 March 2009 at 22:45.
Old 24 March 2009, 19:13   #23
chiark
Needs a life

They've just increased charges from 15 to 21 quid every 6 months, too...

Calgor, if you really want one I can buy and post it... You have PM
Old 24 March 2009, 22:47   #24
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the increase in price either... it looks nice but I'd rather have correct/factual content more than a glossy cover and pretty looks. It even said 'iPod Touch' on the front of last months - I just wanted to die.
Old 24 March 2009, 22:58   #25
Akira

And where is all that promised information about John Twiddy and Putty Squad? If I remember correctly, wasn't that coming out this issue?
Old 27 March 2009, 23:58   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
It's 116 pages.

Oh and for all those people who buy it on occasion and don't subscribe (in the UK at least), I don't know whether they still do, but they used to run an offer where if you subscribe you get three issues for 1, which is what finally persuaded me to take out a subscription. That was about September/October last year so I really have no idea if this offer is still running.
Hi Graham,

I bought my copy today, and it contained an insert advertising the three issues for 1 offer. So, yes, they still do it!

prowler
Old 28 March 2009, 20:06   #27
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And where is all that promised information about John Twiddy and Putty Squad? If I remember correctly, wasn't that coming out this issue?
Hear hear, stuff the usual ill informed hardware profiles this is the info I want!
Old 28 March 2009, 21:08   #28
Peter
Unemployed & Lovin' it

Nice to see Amiga's in a magazine again!

Why don't they clean the computers before they take the pictures of them - the A1200 looked filthy!!
Dirt doesn't create a retro feel...

Great picture of Dave Haynie in this feature...
Old 28 March 2009, 21:17   #29
Paul_s
needs more ice cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Great picture of Dave Haynie in this feature...
Yeah, nicked from his eBay profile!
Old 31 March 2009, 15:59   #30
Retro1234

I read the articled today - Nice

I think the modern Classic Amiga would make a good article, how people add HD use WHDload add expansions.......................

And I dont think ive ever seen any hardware pr0n in the magazine a pimped out ZX or C64 would be nice aspect of Retro gameing.
AdSense AdSense