English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 19 September 2017, 12:12   #21
ptyerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Ive taken more intrest into security, but atm Im a complete novice on the technical aspects of networking.

Currently Im on Windows 7 and 10 on my laptop and stationary computer, but Im thinking about moving over to Linux. Ubuntu or Mint seems like the go to distros for novices, but if you are concerned about security, Tails seems to be the distro of choice.

And expiriences and comments in that regard, and how limiting is it? Like; when I post here, I log in with a user, same as I do when doing my internet banking. Tails or not, wont that leave a trace since I log in with personal identification...?

And the choice of VPN for example, how to make it? NordVPN is located in Panama isnt it? Do we have any backstory on the people running it?

Its a very intresting topic, of which Im borderline criminally incompetent in.
When choosing a VPN always avoid those based in snooping countries like the UK/EU and USA, they are subject to the laws of those countries and will be required to keep logs.
Second, look for one that keeps no logs and adheres to it. If they have no logs they can't be seized by the NSA/GCHQ or other nefarious institutes!
It's worth spending some time researching the VPN's you are looking at, user feedback will give you the information you need.
There are several VPN's in South American countries that are worth looking at, Ivacy which I use, is based in Singapore and keeps no logs, there is other South East Asia countries that have VPN providers too, there is also African ones, but I know very little about those.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 24 September 2017, 14:32   #22
Overflow

Thanks for the VPN information.

Im debating wether or not I should change my email provider aswell.
Currently I use both gmail and hotmail, and to be honest I dont have anything sensitive being sent or recived at any point in time.
But from a more general point of view, Im still thinking moving away from the mainstream providers is a good idea for several reasons.

Anyone had any expirience with for example https://protonmail.com/ ?

Additionally Ive been looking at https://www.qubes-os.org/ for presistant OS.

The last day Ive basically spent hours retracing my tracks changing/deleting my online footprint on a wide array of forums, netshops etc etc which Ive blindly been using without giving it much thought with regard to loosing control of where and what Ive been sharing. Passwords has all been changed, and all computers, pads and phones been factory reset and reinstalled.
Old 24 September 2017, 15:40   #23
ptyerman

Yes I've been looking at changing email myself, I'm on Hotmail too and have been for the past 20 years so it won't be easy, with having to change addresses everywhere! As such I'm taking my time to make sure I make the right choice the first time.
Looking at the options the only safe route is a paid for subscription but I'm not sure, it's something I'm still looking in to.
It's like a game of whack a mole with all this spying going off, its ridiculous!
Old 27 September 2017, 20:32   #24
Akira

https://www.fastmail.com/ is another good option for mail.
I want to make a switch myself too.
Old 27 September 2017, 21:07   #25
Phantom
Adventurer

ProtonMail is very one of the best, when it comes to email security. Although for security reasons they do not offer POP3 or IMAP (for the time being though), so you have to check your mails from browser or their Android app.
Old 29 September 2017, 18:41   #26
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Although for security reasons they do not offer POP3 or IMAP (for the time being though), so you have to check your mails from browser or their Android app.
Good call on that, I did not know. I was tring Protonmail, but never gave it much of a chance.

Lack of IMAP is a deal breaker for me.
Old 19 October 2017, 07:43   #27
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
With certain changes, I am thinking to start using VPN tunnel for anonimity.

I am looking at building openvpn local servers, and have it tunel to some vpn service, but not sure yet what service. Reason for this is that I like all my devices to use VPN, such as PS3, PS4, droid phones, tablets, computers and servers.

I followed Hak5 instruction on creating Ubuntu OpenVPN server and managed it to connect to in test environment.

I wonder if anyone else is using VPN and if yes, who, what and how? Any links with tutorials are welcomed!
ExpressVPN use here..

Don't use PureVPN... They log if you read the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
When choosing a VPN always avoid those based in snooping countries like the UK/EU and USA, they are subject to the laws of those countries and will be required to keep logs.
Second, look for one that keeps no logs and adheres to it. If they have no logs they can't be seized by the NSA/GCHQ or other nefarious institutes!
It's worth spending some time researching the VPN's you are looking at, user feedback will give you the information you need.
There are several VPN's in South American countries that are worth looking at, Ivacy which I use, is based in Singapore and keeps no logs, there is other South East Asia countries that have VPN providers too, there is also African ones, but I know very little about those.
The trouble is your balancing performance (response time or ms (milliseconds)) vs country here as well.. Not every server on the planet will you get the same speed from.
Old 19 October 2017, 09:57   #28
ptyerman

Quote:
The trouble is your balancing performance (response time or ms (milliseconds)) vs country here as well.. Not every server on the planet will you get the same speed from.
That is complete nonsense! If that is what you end up with, then you didn't do due diligence in research of options. The best VPN providers have servers in almost every country on the planet, used as both access and exit points, you have the choice of servers to choose from. If you chose a slow one, choose another, simple!
Not sure on the others without looking first, but Ivacy has over 200 servers in 100 countries, you can choose any of them. Part of a VPN is to appear to be somewhere else after all!
These are things you research first before committing yourself, or should be!
AdSense AdSense