English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 26 April 2003, 04:30   #1
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Death Bringer (Spotlight) not in HOL ... or TOSEC ... but it's in the Zone

Prompted by the appearance of disk 1 of this game in the Zone (posted by DPainter), I checked and found that this game appears neither in HOL nor in TOSEC. Note that this is NOT the same game as "Deathbringer: The Sword of Abaddon" which DOES appear in HOL. This one was apparently a Euro release that was imported to the US by Cinemaware under the Spotlight label.

In trying to duplicate my real-world diskette collection in emulator friendly format, I looked for this one for a looooong time with no success and as I recall, this is one that I was able to convert with disk2fdi when it appeared on the scene.

Anyway, I've posted a zip containing both disks to the Zone so that the powers that be can see about having them TOSEC-ified, and so that it can be used to create screen grabs for HOL, etc.
Old 26 April 2003, 05:10   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I repeat - Death Bringer is NOT the same game as the one that you posted the link to in HOL. I DID try searching for it using both "Death" and "Bringer" ... But it's not the same game. Trust me on this one.
Old 26 April 2003, 05:13   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Sorry, I just re-read the message and killed my reply. Unfortunately, you read it before I could kill it. I know which version you refer to now. Can't believe it's not in HOL yet, but I'll take care of it.
Old 26 April 2003, 05:21   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, here ya go. Will maybe bang up a DBS tonight.

HOL Database (id=4362)
Old 26 April 2003, 05:36   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

No problem - I was just doing a screen shot of the title screen to illustrate my point. I'll attach it below in case it can be of any use. By the way, if you need a scan of the disk, you can use the one that is on the page for the "other" Deathbringer. That's a scan of the disk from the Spotlight game - not the one that the screenshots on that page were taken from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	death bringer title.png
Views:	358
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	5056  
Old 26 April 2003, 05:49   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

By the way ... slightly off topic, but somewhat related question.

Is there any easy way to get a list from HOL of games that have entries which list them as "Missing In Action"? I had seen a couple of those before and had thought that if I had some way to pull a list of them without having to check each entry one at a time, I just might be able to provide a few of them. At the very least, I'd then have a list of games to keep an eye out for. Is there some way to get a list like this using the advanced search options?
Old 26 April 2003, 07:04   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
By the way, if you need a scan of the disk, you can use the one that is on the page for the "other" Deathbringer. That's a scan of the disk from the Spotlight game - not the one that the screenshots on that page were taken from.
Fixed. I really should have caught this from the start, since I have an original boxed version of the Cinemaware/Spotlight game. So thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles
Is there any easy way to get a list from HOL of games that have entries which list them as "Missing In Action"? I had seen a couple of those before and had thought that if I had some way to pull a list of them without having to check each entry one at a time, I just might be able to provide a few of them. At the very least, I'd then have a list of games to keep an eye out for. Is there some way to get a list like this using the advanced search options?
Well, this is not 100% perfect, but pretty damn close:
From the front page, click the <Advanced Search Engine> link and from that interface, in the left column go to Screenshot ? and select No. A few MIA's have some screenshots added (provided by the publisher of the game or contributors), but this should generate the basic list you are seeking.

If you REALLY wanna know which games to keep your eyes opened for, visit Twistin' Ghosts's MIA Master List. It has titles that haven't yet been entered into HOL (they will be soon enough), but the list generated by HOL also has listings not found in my MIA list, too. Ultimately, they will both be in sync, but for now a minor inconvenience. Thanks for looking, btw!
Old 26 April 2003, 10:48   #8
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Thanks for the tip! That generated a list of 742 titles, which of course includes "Death Bringer" at the moment. From looking over the list quickly, I'm sure that I'll be able to supply a few of the missing ones. I know right off the bat that I have ABC Monday Night Football, which was near the start of the list. It will probably take some time to work through the list and see which ones I have that work though. I'll also check what I have against your MIA master list, and hopefully that will produce at least a few more matches.
Old 26 April 2003, 14:38   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Thanks for telling us about this Chuckles...

Death Bringer (Spotlight) is the US release of Pandora game Galdregon's Domain. I've grabbed some screens and updated the links in the HOL.

http://hol.abime.net/?id=4362
Old 26 April 2003, 22:45   #10
Chuckles
The Ancient One

You're more than welcome, and I had wondered if this might not have been released under some other name in Europe. The HOL entries for both look great, and I really like the way that they are cross linked to each other. That's something that I hadn't noticed in the HOL entries that I'd looked at, and it's a very nice feature.
Old 27 April 2003, 00:26   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for fixing that up, Cody. When I put the Pandora bit in there, I had a hunch there was another gamename lurking and was gonna research it when I got home, but I have been working on a few other bits in HOL that I am (still) fiddling with (but almost finished). I believe I put in more time on HOL than my real job!
Old 01 May 2003, 02:27   #12
DPainter

I somehow overlooked this thread and was e-mailing Chuckles about my "discovery" last night that this Death Bringer was the same as Gal's Domain.

Anyway, it's rare that anything commercial shows up that isn't already in the HOL, but it's very common that I come across apparently commercial titles that end up being PD/SW/freeware.

In fact I found "Roll-Out" from Procovision on a compact disk the other day and it said cracked by Quartex in the textro. I was all excited but then saw on BTTR that it's freeware/sw. DOH!
Old 01 May 2003, 02:47   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by DPainter
In fact I found "Roll-Out" from Procovision on a compact disk the other day and it said cracked by Quartex in the textro. I was all excited but then saw on BTTR that it's freeware/sw. DOH!
Not neccesarily. Sometimes commercial titles that are moderately obscure get "deemed" freeware when they really aren't. I was even on some web site the other night for some long since vanished dev team who were telling about a commercial title they created that somehow ended up in the UK PD libraries shortly after its release, but since it was not from US Gold or someone like that, it was overlooked.

Also, some of the titles in BTTR list the games as FW because the commercial developer has allowed them to be freely spread (as opposed to Public Domain, which surrenders their ownership). Further, anyone can make mistakes and assume something is freeware because something else will indicate it to be so. Some titles are very difficult to suss out whether they are or not. Generally, I deem titles PD/SW after reading that they are from an accompanying doc file. But on a title like Croak, for instance, there is no doc file on the TOSEC disk version(s?), but I know it's not commercial because I still have the lha file from my download of the game when it was first distributed by the author on bulletin boards.

I'll look into Roll-Out. Oh, and I am sitting on about 25+ disks ready to enter into HOL of stuff I just dug up. Plus tons more that are buried in my database, it's just a matter of finding the time to enter them all in. Time is the enemy.