English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 December 2016, 06:01   #1
chocsplease

Advice please best way to get usb drives onto an A1200

Hi,

I am looking into a way to read and write usb pen drives on an a1200. There used to be a number using the clock port, but both still in existence appear out of stock at amiganet (subway usb and rappidroad).

Im wondering if there are any other solutions? Can the Gotec floppy emulator read and write files from a pen drive or us it just limited to booting adfs?

I know you can get ide to compact flash and sd card adaptors but cant find one that goes from ide to usb, I guess because usb is too generic, you can plug so much more than drives into it.

Anyone any sugestions?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, the hardware one looked like it was more for active projects.

Last edited by chocsplease; 26 December 2016 at 06:02. Reason: spelling
Old 26 December 2016, 06:07   #2
puppypc

The Rapidroad is for sale on Jens's personal website: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...droad-usb.html

It's a little pricey, but it's the price of adding USB ports to such old hardware!

What exactly do you want to do? Is there a reason why you can't just use a CF or SD card, or network transfer?
Old 26 December 2016, 12:04   #3
-Acid-

You could get a mediator and spider usb card if the 1200 is in a tower.
Old 26 December 2016, 14:52   #4
chocsplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
The Rapidroad is for sale on Jens's personal website: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...droad-usb.html

It's a little pricey, but it's the price of adding USB ports to such old hardware!

What exactly do you want to do? Is there a reason why you can't just use a CF or SD card, or network transfer?
Thanks for the reply.
Basically its for file transfer between PC and Amiga. I have an eidie to compact flash adaptor in my towered A1200 but getting a removable CF or SD solution into the A1200 desktop is proving problematic. Yes I can get an internal solution but that would mean me opening the case every time I want to add a new file. Not fun.

I used to have a null modem connection when the PC and Amigas where in the same room, now they arn't I'm rather stuck.

I'm not sure what network solutions are available (other than one I'll come to in a second). It would have to be wireless as the Amigas are upstairs and the router is downstairs. I seem to remember that the A1200 had some kind of reset bug in its PCMCIA slot that stops a lot of cards working.

There has been success getting the Amiga and Raspberry Pi talking to each other via a null modem rs232 cable but this is limited to 19200 (BPS/KBPS? not sure) by the Amiga's serial port I think. There is also a problem with the PI 3B (which is the model I have) as the UART is now used for the bluetooth and has been removed from the GPIO pins, you can get it back but but it is a huge faf and then you loose wifi (?not sure on the last part) which is the whole point of doing this for me. I did see a Youtube video where a usb to rs232 adaptor had been used but the poster mentioned that some of these just don't work with a PI/Amiga combination.

So all in all I need some advice.

Has anyone managed to get their amiga online using a PI?
Has anyone seen a CF or SD adaptor I could use to mount the card externally and nicely (so no dangling wires please) in an A1200 desktop.

And if anyone has any other ideas.

While I'm about it a belated Seasons Greetings to you all.

<Edit>
Sorry forgot to mention the A1200 desktop is currently stock only, no memory or accelerator card installed. I thought about waiting for the Vampire but the latest specs I saw suggested that the devs might be going the wrong way, Why a 68060 and not a 68040 like the A500 and A600 versions, why a GPU - is there any sw that can use it? And the guessed (?) price point. I thought the idea was to keep the price low so as to compete with the available 68030 cards, ho hum.

Last edited by chocsplease; 26 December 2016 at 15:16. Reason: More info on A1200 specs
Old 26 December 2016, 15:05   #5
crazyc

I used to use a pcmcia wired network card and and cheap power line adapters. Still works for my second a 1200 in the summerhouse. I then use miami and amitradecentre to move files to and from a shared folder on my nas.

Sent from my S7 Edge
Old 26 December 2016, 15:08   #6
crazyc

Amiga kit do a kit to make the internal Ide to cf fit in the expansion port at the back under the floppy so it can be accessed without opening the case on a desktop a 1200. I use that on my a 1200 in the summerhouse also.

Sent from my S7 Edge
Old 26 December 2016, 21:43   #7
HelloBeautiful

Why not go the PCMCIA CF card route? Easy and cheap.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:40   #8
idrougge

Just use a PCMCIA to CF adapter. It's easier than going via USB.
Old 27 December 2016, 01:45   #9
emufan

for the network based filetransfer you could try a PlipBox, PCMCIA Ethernet Card or PCMCIA Wifi Card.

#1) where did you saw new specs for the Vampire 1200? 68060? a GPU is included with the V500 and V600 already.
you will enjoy a fast workbench and those office programs can make use of it too.
3d peecee games and ScummVM ported to the amiga will benefit from that aswell.

Last edited by emufan; 27 December 2016 at 16:28.
Old 27 December 2016, 04:20   #10
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsplease View Post
Has anyone seen a CF or SD adaptor I could use to mount the card externally and nicely (so no dangling wires please) in an A1200 desktop.
Forget all that crap get one of these drive bays here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190368771301

Then buy a 40 pin IDE to CF adapter to put in it and you're done.

I've got 2 in my A1200 tower and 2 in my A4000 tower and 1 in my PC. You can set up all your cards in the PC, transfer all the files you need and then pull the tray out and put in any of your Amiga's. When you need to add files just pull it back out of the Amiga and back into the PC and load up WinUAE.
Old 27 December 2016, 13:18   #11
idrougge

I've also got a PCMCIA to SD adapter, but that one only works with older non-SDHC cards (or Memory Stick).
Old 27 December 2016, 15:36   #12
jayminer

I have a Raspberry Pi inside my A600, with a Wifi-adapter so I can transfer files wirelessly over serial. Not the speediest solution but it works fine, I even made a video about it some time ago:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 December 2016, 17:01   #13
Franchute13

Maybe this ?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76866

I use a pcmcia card with sd card support.
Old 30 December 2016, 21:03   #14
jarp

RapidRoad USB is worth of every penny. I have one in my Amiga 600. It's not only the USB sticks (there are other ways to transfer files like mentioned), but also USB keyboard and USB mouse works so much better than when using USB-Gameport adapter or USB-Keyboard adapter. I have those as well.

But in any case, USB sticks are so handy that I really would give up my RapidRoad USB (or equivalent). Only problem was cutting A600 enclosure to fit the ports but for A1200 there's rear trapdoor adapter available I think?
Old 31 December 2016, 00:45   #15
Anakirob
Unregistered User

It's a pity there's no way to use one of those cheap PCMCIA USB hubs readily available on Ebay.
Old 31 December 2016, 00:50   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarp View Post
But in any case, USB sticks are so handy that I really would give up my RapidRoad USB (or equivalent). Only problem was cutting A600 enclosure to fit the ports but for A1200 there's rear trapdoor adapter available I think?
I also like having RR USB in my A600. So much that I removed the parallel port from the motherboard and put the USB ports in there instead. I would rather do that than cut the case.