English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 November 2009, 16:40   #41
prowler
Global Moderator

Hello ElCharro,

Executor should indeed be able to read Mac-formatted 1440K (HD) floppy disks, but it will not read 800K or 400K Mac-formatted floppies, because it does not have the means to work around the incompatibility of the PC's floppy controller with those disks.

The problems you are having when trying to read 1440K Mac-formatted floppies, are because the emulator does not know that there is a disk in the drive until you tell it that you have inserted it.

On a real Macintosh this is, of course, automatic. But there is no way that the PC's floppy drive can tell the emulator that you have inserted a disk unless you tell it.

For this reason, there is an item in the emulated Macintosh's drop-down menus at the very top of the emulated desktop that allows you to instruct the emulator to check for floppies. I think there is a hot-key shortcut to this check, but I don't remember what it is. You need to have the emulator check for floppies each time you insert one (always make sure it is Mac-formatted) and have the emulator 'eject' (put away) the floppy before you actually remove it. Then you should have no problem.

If you can't get this to work, I will check the way I do it on my machine and give you a detailed set of instructions on how to do it.

Don't give up. It will work if you do it properly. The problems you are having are because of the automatic way that Macintoshes control the insertion and ejection of floppy disks, and the difficulty of assimilating this in PC emulation with real floppy media.
Old 03 November 2009, 17:43   #42
W4r3DeV1L

Send a message via MSN to W4r3DeV1L
Well , thanks!!!

If I should draw a conclusion of what I have realized until this time is that I can hear the drive squeal only at the time I start the Executor from scratch.

If I have a DOS PC formatted into the FDD as you can see in the picture it is showed the A: device!

But if I run the Executor with a floppy disk previosly formatted on my Macintosh Classic in no way I can see any A: device.

Even if I tick check for this into the file menu nothing happens and same thing if I try to format the disk. It comes out a warning that the disk need to be low level formatted but if I agree nothing is changing!

Can you give a look to the ANDI's Executor dear Prowler?

If I had here the a Macintosh G3 with USB external floppy drive would I have had a usefull tool to make all these file transfers?

Thanks again!
Old 03 November 2009, 18:12   #43
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCharro View Post
Can you give a look to the ANDI's Executor dear Prowler?
Of course, but before I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCharro View Post
I can hear the drive squeal only at the time I start the Executor from scratch.

If I have a DOS PC formatted into the FDD as you can see in the picture it is showed the A: device!
Does that happen when you start the emulator from scratch with a DOS-formatted disk inserted in the floppy drive?

When you have the A: device showing, try selecting 'Eject' in the File menu and then insert the Mac-formatted floppy before selecting 'Check For Disk'. (Remember, you always have to 'Eject' the existing floppy disk from the emulation before removing it from the drive and inserting another.)

Does that work?

Last edited by prowler; 03 November 2009 at 22:40. Reason: Added detail
Old 03 November 2009, 19:13   #44
W4r3DeV1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Of course, but before I do...

Does that happen when you start the emulator from scratch with a DOS-formatted disk inserted in the floppy drive?

When you have the A: device showing, try selecting 'Eject' in the File menu and then insert the Mac-formatted floppy before selecting 'Check For Disk'. (Remember, you always have to 'Eject' the existing floppy disk from the drive before removing it and inserting another.)

Does that work?
It happens that even if I run from scratch the Executor I do have the A: device showed but it appear "grey" the eject command and even if I do "check for disk" of the menu FILE I do not have any outcome!
So if no one disk is "recognized" it's impossible to eject it!
Old 03 November 2009, 22:36   #45
prowler
Global Moderator

Okay, I have Executor 2.1pr16 running on my 200MMX machine under Windows 95.

Here is a screenshot of the Executor desktop just after I've launched it in windowed mode:

And then I click on the filing cabinet icon at the top-left corner to display all the logical disks:

Now I insert a 1.44MB Mac-formatted floppy disk prepared on my PowerMac:

Macintosh floppy icon appears at right-hand end of disks list:

Open the Macintosh floppy disk by double-clicking on the icon:

Copy 007.img_.sit (downloaded from the Macintosh Garden) from the root of the C: drive:

And here it is in the Macintosh floppy window:

Now close the window and select the Macintosh Floppy icon by clicking on it and then Eject it from the emulation:

The disk is now ready to be removed from the drive:

That's how it's done!

I'm now uploading an image of that disk to the Zone for you.

PS. You can press Alt-Shift-2 to check for disk and Alt-E (after selecting the disk) to eject it.

Last edited by prowler; 03 November 2009 at 22:43.
Old 03 November 2009, 23:16   #46
W4r3DeV1L

I would give a try installing Windows 98 on my PIV and we'll se what's going on!

It's ridicolous that for retro lover Emulators are not enought and we really need old machine so we need a large house and the tolerance of fathers, wife ( I am still single ) and pets! hehehe

Old 04 November 2009, 01:33   #47
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey, you can still download Executor for Windows from ARDI's website here:
http://www.ardi.com/win_download.php
where the serial number and authentication key are given.

And here is a direct link to the file:
ftp://ftp.ardi.com/pub/ExecutorWin32/setup.exe