English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 October 2002, 23:59   #1
Peanutuk

Surfing the net with a very basic A1200

Hi
Here is another tale of woe....
My girlfriend is without internet access or even a computer which means that we at times cannot contact each otehr and obviously cannot reach each other via email or the net.

I have a basic unexpanded A1200HD. I also have a dail-up modem which I used to use with my PC befor eI got broad band. I assume that I can purchase a lead somewhere to conect the modem to the amiga, but what I want to know is if it is possible to surf [or just email] using this set up?

If it is and someone can guide and the how and wheres I would be extremely grateful
thanks
Old 11 October 2002, 00:34   #2
RetroMan

Sure I don´t know aout web browsing, but you may connect with MIAMI and use YAM as an EMail Client, should work fine, even on unexpanded A1200
Old 11 October 2002, 04:46   #3
Amiga1992

Miami will hog most of the memory with 2MB, so you will need to browse with something as simple as Lynx. Dunno about YAM, never tried it unexpanded.
Old 11 October 2002, 09:56   #4
Peanutuk

Hi
Many thanks but it may not surprise you to know that I haven't the slightest clue what you are reffering to! Is YAM a kind of animal? And why do I need to go to Miami?

thank you..
Old 11 October 2002, 14:17   #5
RetroMan

Miami is a TCP/IP Stack which you will need to have for the INet

YAM is a freeware EMail Client for Amiga

Hope this helps !

P.S : Don´t worry, YAM won´t bite you, it´s a friendly animal
Old 11 October 2002, 15:17   #6
Peanutuk

Thanks - I will get them from aminet and give them a try.

However, whilst I am on the subject - where can I get a suitable lead to connect teh AMiga to the modem. The modem is an ELSAMicrolink 56kand has a round serial output socket [with 8 pins]. I need a cable whihc has this socket at one end and an amiga seriel plug on the other.
Any ideas?

Much appreciated.
Peanut
Old 11 October 2002, 17:21   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Peanutuk
The modem is an ELSAMicrolink 56kand has a round serial output socket [with 8 pins].
Is it a connector as small as a PS/2 one? Looks like an Apple Macintosh serial port modem!!!

Anyway, if you are inclined to do TCP/IP the VERY TECHY way, you could try AmiTCP/IP... that one whould eat a LOT less memory than Miami. However it is a bitch to configure. I never managed to make it run!

Retro: are you sure Yam would run on such low memory? I tell you, with 2MB Chip, Miami barely leaves you with 500k or less... I know I tried it, that's how I browsed with teh A600
Old 11 October 2002, 17:41   #8
Peanutuk

Hi

It has a port similar to my PCs mouse port - a modern seriel port?
Old 11 October 2002, 17:52   #9
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Retro: are you sure Yam would run on such low memory? I tell you, with 2MB Chip, Miami barely leaves you with 500k or less... I know I tried it, that's how I browsed with teh A600
I´m quite sure it works If not, there´s also VMM which can use HD as Ram: Not very fast but for this issue it would be good enough !
Old 11 October 2002, 18:16   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Peanutuk
It has a port similar to my PCs mouse port - a modern seriel port?
Yep, it's a Mac modem! I know adapters are around, try looking for Mac serial adapters on eBay or some such thing Fred might know where to score one...

As for the VMM system... It would be CRAZY to use it on a system running FFS (imagine if the machine locks up!), but still, I don't know if it would run on an EC020 (I think those proggies need MMUs).

Still an option
Old 11 October 2002, 18:27   #11
Peanutuk

Hi

I will give the software ago as soon as I get a lead. Ae you sure it's a mac modem as I was using it with my PC for years without any adaptor? The bit that goes into the modem is as above - the pc side is a normla seriel connector

thanks
Old 11 October 2002, 18:51   #12
Amiga1992

Ahh, let me get this straight.. The modem has an 8 pin PS/2-like connector, right? I thought it already had a cable going out of it and that it ended in this round 8 pin connector...

In such a case, good luck. You'll have to find a cable specific for that modem!
Old 11 October 2002, 19:40   #13
Peanutuk

Bugger!
It that case I may have to buy a specific Amiga modem. Anyone know where I can get a [very] cheap one from?
thanks
Old 11 October 2002, 21:31   #14
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Any modem that has the older cable with a 25 pin female plug at the end should be fine (have a look at the A1200 serial port if you're not exactly sure what I'm talking about).
You'll also find some modems have a y-cable that has the older 25 pin female plug and the standard 9 pin female plug. My Swann Speed Demon has a y-cable, so I can use it on both Amigas and PCs. Quite handy.

As for TCP/IP stacks on basic Amiga set-ups, I would recommend Termite. It's easier to configure than AmiTCP and hogs much less memory than either Miami or AmiTCP. When Termite was commercially released it was targetted for users of basic A500s, so it actually allowed people with as little as 1Mb chip to get on the net. If you want me to put Termite in the Zone, then just sing out.
Old 11 October 2002, 22:43   #15
Peanutuk

Could you upload the termite you speak of? Thanks

Also , and I know that this is a big ask, but can anyone find something suitable on ebay.co.uk ?

thank you!
Old 12 October 2002, 02:30   #16
Korodny
Zone Friend

Stupid question: What happened to the cable you used to connect the modem to your PC? I assume you still have it, but think you can't use it with your Amiga, because it has the wrong connector on the side that plugs into the computer, right? Wrong: Just get an adapter cable that fits between the computer and the modem cable:

modem -> original cable -> adaptor cable -> Amiga

The adaptor cable (either D-Sub 25 Male <-> D-Sub 25 Female or D-Sub 25 <-> D-Sub 9) should be available in about every computer/electronics store for a few bucks. If you don't have a clue, just take the A1200 and the modem cable to the next shop and tell them you need an adaptor to fit the cable to the A1200 port labeled serial Ignore whatever the salesman tells you ("you can't connect an Amiga to the net", "It won't be able to handle the speed" etc.).

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, get a memory expansion for your A1200 (4MB or 8MB). They are pretty cheap these days, I wouldn't pay more than 5-12 Euros (I'm living in Germany though, also known as "cheap used Amiga hardware country"). A little bit of memory will make your life a lot easier.

YAM wouldn't be a good choice IMHO, as it uses MUI (a GUI toolkit). This gives you a decent GUI, but it is slooow on a stock A1200, and it eats up quite some memory. Does anybody know about a good E-Mail client which does not use MUI?

Does anybody remember what kind of E-Mail client was supplied with Amiga Technologie's "Surfer pack"? Actually, if the package doesn't contain anything that prevents it from being uploaded, I suppose this might be a good start software-wise, as it is geared towards very low-specced A1200s and contains a complete suite of internet software...
Old 12 October 2002, 05:18   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
YAM wouldn't be a good choice IMHO, as it uses MUI
YEAH I forgot about that... Definitely AVOID YAM!

I think there is an Amiga port of PINE. Use that instead!!!

DrBong: THANKS about the Termite tip! If you could upload it I'd be delighted to try it in my A600!!!!
Old 12 October 2002, 17:34   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Termite is in the Zone for those interested. Apparently it includes an email client, although I'm sure it is very basic (and perhaps unsuitable for today's uses, but I could be wrong).

As for email clients that don't use MUI, I'd suggest trying AEmail on Aminet:

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminetbin/find?aemail

Alternatively, Voodoo is a commercial email client that uses Class Act (like AEmail). I can upload that if anyone wants it, but people should have a look at AEmail first.
Old 19 October 2002, 17:48   #19
Peanutuk

Hello

Really sorry about this but could you re-zone the termite program?
I have just got the hardware and the meantime I have reinstalled windows and lost the termite I downloaded. sorry about this and thanks for all the help - let you knwo if I am succesfull!

P
Old 19 October 2002, 17:54   #20
RetroMan

In the zone again