English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 December 2022, 18:16   #1
Weasel Fierce

How many games did you buy?

For the rare person who bought your Amiga games instead of pirating them, how many did you buy or get gifted in say a month or 6 months time?

How many did the rich kid in class get?
Old 15 December 2022, 18:58   #2
Megalomaniac

I had about 4 years with the Amiga as my main system, and can think of about 30 in total, but probably 45 or so games as there were compilations among them. Lots were reduced via mail order, or budget. Probably liked all but about 4 or 5 (Jurassic Park, Innocent Until Caught and Bill's Tomato Game come to mind as bad buys, Body Blows as a 'why did I used to like this?') Plus you had coverdisks with demos and PD games to pass time and give a try-before-you-buy element. I normally found reviews broadly reliable, and could accept the odd misfire. The thing I sometimes forget is that there are probably only about 10 games that I had within a year of their original release, that was the sacrifice I made.

Last edited by Megalomaniac; 22 August 2023 at 19:14.
Old 15 December 2022, 19:27   #3
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
For the rare person who bought your Amiga games instead of pirating them, how many did you buy or get gifted in say a month or 6 months time?
I got one for my birthday and one for Christmas. The rest of the time I waited for Special Reserve offers and saved up my measly £2 a week pocket money for being a receptionist at my Mums keep fit class every Tuesday. I saved up enough for a Goliath Power Supply that I needed to make my rig run stably by saving for half a year! The cover disc games after C= died were a real treat! TFX, Xtreme Racing and Blitz Bombers were my favourites. I even wrote my school assignments using the PageStream 2.2 from a cover disk!
Old 15 December 2022, 19:43   #4
BigD

@Weasel Fierce

I remember pirating Dune 2 because I NEEDED it there and then - shame on me. The same with Speedball 2 but the crack copy didn't work so I ended up buying the CD32 version; far better and felt good to support the Bitmap Brothers in 1995!

Playing a copy of The Settlers at a friend's motivated me to buy it from Electronics Boutique. The best times were when you could buy all the great old games still in stock on the High Street around 1995 for a maximum of £15!
Old 15 December 2022, 20:00   #5
Megalomaniac

The Settlers is one I bought quite late, and quite cheap I think - I remember digging out an old issue of Amiga Power that had a playing guide in so as to really get to grips with it. Would've had no chance without the manual and especially the little 'what-each-element-and-each-worker-looks-like' reference card - I'm glad I never considered pirating that, as I would never have appreciated it. Think it was the last game I was playing regularly before my Amiga finally went into the loft.

Last edited by Megalomaniac; 15 December 2022 at 20:06.
Old 15 December 2022, 20:25   #6
Weasel Fierce

To be clear, this isnt about piracy-shaming, I am looking for some data for a project I am looking to do
Old 15 December 2022, 21:39   #7
Torti-the-Smurf

Depends on the Year; but i would say 2-3 in 6 Month average.

I did try the "Free Demo version" first and if a game was really good then i bought it.

(and it was not so easy to get every game original back then;
sometimes it was easier to get the copy crazy;i know, but true)

Collected all my pocket money for it and phoned my Dealer if he had the Game.
Old 16 December 2022, 00:40   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I remember buying two games: Leander and Hägar (https://hol.abime.net/647). Leander worked fine, but Hägar stopped working after two days (disk corrupted). I might have bought a couple more games back when, but that's it.

I recently bought like a lot of games though. Disposable income does things to an old pirate
Old 16 December 2022, 01:11   #9
Torti-the-Smurf

YOU BOUGHT HÄGAR the HORRIBLE ???

MY GOD; i remember renting that one from our Videothek
(yup; that one had also a few Amiga games for renting )

Sure, why buying, Turrican 1/2/3, Apidya, Lionheart, Ambermoon, all the Lucas Art Adventures, The Chaos Engine, Sensible Soccer, Beneath a Steel Sky, Lotus 2, IK+, Lemmings, The Settlers, Historyline, Kid Chaos, BC Kid and many more......

; when you can have HÄGAR the HORRIBLE

Dude

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 16 December 2022 at 02:34. Reason: Typo in Apidya - old habbit of mine ;)
Old 16 December 2022, 01:27   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The comics are funny

Plus I had pretty much every other game available in 91 as a 'test version'...
Old 16 December 2022, 01:56   #11
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
The comics are funny
True - and the Reason i rented it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Plus I had pretty much every other game available in 91 as a 'test version'...
Well, that is just aehmmm "HORRIBLE"
(at least if you didn´t buy them original/later) (the really good ones )

Besides; you know that games came out after 91, right ?
Same deal ? (well;according to the previous post; yes )

Ahhhh, the good old Amiga cliché
and stupid me actually bought games; how silly of me, right ?

Old 16 December 2022, 10:44   #12
kremiso

bitd, a good amount, also considering it was difficult to find some originals here;
one game for month, more or less

ie, sadly NEVER seen a Turrican or Turrican2 original in the lone computer shop we had here

i still remember the pleasure for having found this compilation one lucky day

Triad vol3 hol
Old 16 December 2022, 11:16   #13
acidbottle

Bought a fair few, some were gifts and a few off friends for cheap. By the mid 90s would have had around 40-50 boxed amiga games.

Then around 2005 I had to sell off a large chunk to pay for a car and rent, very bad times.

Now am in a continual process to replace those I sold but like hell am I paying £100.00 for North & South again! Only missing a handful of games from the original collection, probably gained a few along the way ofc
Old 16 December 2022, 12:37   #14
Daedalus

Probably in the region of 30-40 here. Some were 2nd-hand, some were gifts, but it was a reasonable collection of originals that I still have stored away, and the ones I did buy (about half of them) I saved up for, or later paid for with wages from a weekend job.

I still used my Amiga for quite a while after many people moved to PC, and still bought games then too. I'd say on average I bought one every 6 months.
Old 16 December 2022, 12:52   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Not counting some PD game discs, we probably had at most 12 games legally. 6 of those coming from a Sega pack and those 6 with 2 others bought in the same trip to the computer store not long after we got the Amiga. Push comes to shove, I was a kid with not enough pocket money and my parents did not have the money at the time to spend on expensive computer stuff and at the same time feed, clothe and put two kids through school.

But they did recognise early on that computers were a thing to stay so they made darned sure we were exposed to them. Ruined my life
Old 16 December 2022, 14:31   #16
rothers

I was a poor kid on a council estate, I think I bought one game ever - Magic Land Dizzy on a trip to toys'r'us and I inserted it by accident while workbench was running and the disk became corrupted.

WTF.

Got a pirated version later.
Old 16 December 2022, 17:34   #17
outsiderz
-[User]-

i was a poor kid back in the days, so: i bought about two or three games original.
but, i bought all my floppy disks packs and the stamps...
Old 16 December 2022, 17:42   #18
Daedalus

I was a poor kid too, until I got a part time job I was only buying games on cassette for my Atari 800XL, and even then I had to save up the £3 or 4 they cost. I got my Amiga 2nd hand with a shoebox full of pirated games, but they were mostly either rubbish games or not very playable without the manual. A few were decent though and tided me over, but otherwise when I couldn't afford games I simply did without.
Old 16 December 2022, 18:37   #19
Havie

I probably had 50+ games including cd32 ones for my Zapppo CD drive. Had a few copies from one person I knew who pirated a lot of games and few disks from a dodgy market stall.

Now trying to recall what I had...
Old 16 December 2022, 19:00   #20
golem

I was never much of a gamer so I only paid for what came with the Flight of Fantasy A500 bundle. Other games I had were either copies or cover disc demos. I did however spend a lot on PD discs getting shareware and pursuing other teenage niche tastes