English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 December 2019, 22:02   #81
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
A few billion? And here I was thinking I only had a few hundred million years left. I guess I can relax so
Well, the planet won't be engulfed for billions of years (when the sun switches from hydrogen-fusing core to helium-fusing core), but the sun still gradually burns hotter as the hydrogen richness decreases in the core (less hydrogen in the mix == core needs to be denser/hotter for stable fusion).

This means that even though in a a few hundred million years the sun won't be much brighter, it will be brighter by enough % to tip Earth into a Venus-style runaway greenhouse, rendering it uninhabitable. (How many millions of years this takes will of course be determined by how the organisms living on Earth affect greenhouse gas concentrations, but eventually enough water will evaporate that it will by itself be sufficient greenhouse gas regardless of whatever else is in the atmosphere).
Old 07 December 2019, 01:20   #82
Misclegend
Banned

The 1084s I do not recommend it anyone (I had 2 of these)
It is terribly radioactive and harmful for yur health
It is too bright and that forces you to use an old glass filter to lower the brightness

Nothing beats a sony trinitron monitor or a mitsubishi aperture grille crt monitor + scandoubler

for LCD screens only good IPS panel at 144hz are suitable for Amiga emulation using winuae

IE

Acer XV273K
ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ
LG 27GL850

VA panels and TN panels are horrible in vision angles and colors

The oled monitors at 144hz would be ideal for gaming and Amiga emulation
because the perfect blacks they can offer etc

but there are none yet for sale and the few that are there are 60hz and very expensive
would have to wait 2 or 3 years for this
Old 07 December 2019, 11:56   #83
AmigaEd
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Using WinUAE on my Macbooks glassy screen looks rather good.
I prefer that to CRTs, to be honest.
just out of curiosity, how do you run WinUAE on a Macbook? Are you using Boot Camp /dual boot or virtual machine like parallels or VMWare Fusion?
Old 07 December 2019, 12:23   #84
roondar

I probably shouldn't bother, but just in case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
CRT's from the 1980's are not "terribly radioactive". The 1084S is not an exception here. It is not radioactive.
Old 07 December 2019, 18:17   #85
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

See here. Even the official U.S. government line is "this basically isn't a thing, we just felt the need to regulate it anyway."
Old 07 December 2019, 18:30   #86
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I probably shouldn't bother, but just in case...

CRT's from the 1980's are not "terribly radioactive". The 1084S is not an exception here. It is not radioactive.
yes the 1084s is an exception, just bring your hand near the screen you will note all the radiation which is very strong

also the 1084s monitor is very very bright, will destroy your eyes, and there is no way to correct the high brightness and to see a good image
Old 07 December 2019, 20:53   #87
roondar

Quote:
yes the 1084s is an exception, just bring your hand near the screen you will note all the radiation which is very strong
No, it is not. Monitors that emit high levels of radiation were not allowed to be sold.

What you're feeling with your hand is simply static electricity caused by the charge of the glass, not radiation. All CRT's do this in larger or smaller ways and it has nothing to do with radioactivity. FYI, you can't feel radioactive radiation. Which is why people working at nuclear plants need to wear detectors and use Geiger counters - otherwise they'd not know it if the radiation levels started rising.
Quote:
also the 1084s monitor is very very bright, will destroy your eyes, and there is no way to correct the high brightness and to see a good image
There is a brightness control on the 1084S that works just fine. Moreover, the monitors you've mentioned in your earlier post are actually just as bright or brighter and their brightness controls do not work any better. I know this because I've actually used a 1084S and several Sony Trinitron monitors.

Edit: this was my last reply on the subject of 1084s and radiation. This is off-topic and I don't see a discussion on this leading to a good place.

Last edited by roondar; 07 December 2019 at 21:01.
Old 07 December 2019, 21:04   #88
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Edit: this was my last reply on the subject of 1084s and radiation. This is off-topic and I don't see a discussion on this leading to a good place.
Yup, please drop the off-topic BS Misclegend... that causes others to want to correct you.
Old 10 December 2019, 10:31   #89
Daedalus

Quote:
Clearly don't understand radioactivity. If you can feel it in your hand (as you mention below), you're going to be without a hand in pretty short order. What you're feeling there is a static electricity charge, a byproduct of how any CRT works, along with the whine at the horizontal refresh frequency.

Quote:
It is too bright and that forces you to use an old glass filter to lower the brightness
Eh, nope. Sounds like you don't understand the relationship between brightness and contrast.

Quote:
Nothing beats a sony trinitron monitor or a mitsubishi aperture grille crt monitor + scandoubler
Well, they are a lot better image-wise, that's true. But we're talking about the standard shadow mask type displays here, like, you know, the 1084.

Quote:
for LCD screens only good IPS panel at 144hz are suitable for Amiga emulation using winuae
144Hz isn't divisible by either PAL or NTSC frequencies, so it's a ridiculous thing to say they're the only monitors suitable for Amiga emulation. Again, showing that you don't really understand what you're talking about, and maybe trying to justify a recent expensive monitor purchase?

Quote:
Perfect blacks, yes, but also mark the return of screen burn. But again, what makes 144Hz ideal for Amiga emulation? Neither 50Hz PAL, nor 60Hz NTSC will fully synchronise at 144Hz. Anyway, chances are that your PC will be outputting your WinUAE full-screen output at 50 or 60Hz.

Quote:
but there are none yet for sale and the few that are there are 60hz and very expensive
They've been for sale for several years now, and yes, they're very expensive because they're relatively new technology and aren't particularly sought after. But what's wrong with 60Hz anyway? No Amiga drives a game above that frequency with the native chipset.

The misinformation is strong with you.
Old 10 December 2019, 18:12   #90
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
But for the physical monitor blurring issue due to a fast scrolling: just buy a 100/120 Hz capable Monitor and use "Black Frame insertion" in emulation. Blurring gone (mostly).
I have both:
- CRT monitor for Arcad cabinet and Amiga
- LCD 100/120 hz with black frame insertion for winuae and to watch movies.

scrolling are very smooth for both solution to play amiga game.

but colors are better on real CRT and i prefer play a game on CRT.

more over if gfx was designed for CRT monitor, no filter are good render for me.

but it's personal preference...

PS: i have already tested to play modern 3D FPS on CRT monitor supporting 50hz/60hz of 100hz and it's really wonderful render but with resolution limit of course....
Old 10 December 2019, 19:23   #91
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
But again, what makes 144Hz ideal for Amiga emulation? Anyway, chances are that your PC will be outputting your WinUAE full-screen output at 50 or 60Hz.

No, of course not. 144Hz capable monitors supports 100Hz/120Hz too. It's mentioned because most of the newer monitors can output 144Hz or higher. Surely there are some which outputs 100Hz or 120Hz as a maxium refresh rate.

Quote:
but colors are better on real CRT and i prefer play a game on CRT.
As mentioned. You can get nice colors with an IPS panel. And CRT shaders can help too matching your CRT colors. Not 100% but pretty close.
I prefer real Amiga gaming too, with a nice Trinitron TV. But today you have a nice alternative option via emulation.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 December 2019 at 20:42.
Old 21 January 2020, 01:30   #92
Gardhul

I hope to get again one day a real Amiga with a marvelous 1084s (I was used to play on tv, not the same)...
Old 21 January 2020, 01:55   #93
lmimmfn

Quote:

IE

Acer XV273K
ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ
LG 27GL850

VA panels and TN panels are horrible in vision angles and colors

Disagree here regarding >60MHz IPS panel for an Amiga.
IPS provides the best colour but at a slight cost of effective input lag, which is a general IPS issue regardless of PC or Amiga.
Using a 60Hz IPS with an Amiga should have no noticeable input lag in general, increasing the framerate does not necessarily equal reduction in input lag.
With IPS the issue is not how often it refreshes but what is the total input lag, simply because of how it refreshes.

But you are correct in stating IPS is the best for colour.
Old 21 January 2020, 05:37   #94
Hewitson

Not this old chestnut. The Commodore monitors are crap. They always have been, and always will be. Why can't people see this? A huge percentage of them are manufactured by Daewoo for god's sake. They don't even come close to being a quality CRT.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:59   #95
CFou!

for me, the better is CRT monitor for real amiga (i am just installing and Scanplus AGA).

Second better way is LCD monitor supporting Black Frame Insertion and ULMB mode using 100hz for PAL and 120 hz for NTSC (with WinUAE). I use ASUS PG278Q for that.

Yesterday test of new Scanplus AGA:

Last edited by CFou!; 22 January 2020 at 18:34.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:59   #96
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Not this old chestnut. The Commodore monitors are crap. They always have been, and always will be. Why can't people see this? A huge percentage of them are manufactured by Daewoo for god's sake. They don't even come close to being a quality CRT.
Interesting. Care to elaborate?
Old 22 January 2020, 17:36   #97
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
They weren't bad, really. Not high-end PVM to be sure, but much nicer than the typical consumer television. I prefer the Philips models to the Daewoo ones but they're both totally usable.

The later multisync/bisync C= monitors are GREAT as PVMs though, like the 1942. 0.28mm dot pitch means plain old NTSC/PAL video looks super crisp when watching laserdiscs or DVDs, but you need an RGB converter in the mix.
Old 22 January 2020, 23:23   #98
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

So what we all are really saying here is we want a new display technology that combines the benefits of CRT and flat panel displays into one uber monitor. I am sure one of us could start the ball rolling...
Old 22 January 2020, 23:48   #99
Mikerochip

Yup. That's supposed to have been OLED. But, since, from what I understand, they can't be colour calibrated, they're next to useless for professional imaging work.

So. Back to the drawing board!
Old 22 January 2020, 23:49   #100
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
So what we all are really saying here is we want a new display technology that combines the benefits of CRT and flat panel displays into one uber monitor. I am sure one of us could start the ball rolling...
a monitor supporting ULMB with Black Frame Insertion is good solution for moderne LCL monitor.

You can obtain crystal smooth scrolling as CRT monitor.

Only inconveniant is that you lost a bit of brighness..