English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old Today, 01:40   #541
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Yes, it definitely could be too big for the board to see. Can you find the manual for the motherboard anywhere? I remember years ago pairing a large hard drive with a motherboard that didn't support it. Maxtor and Seagate used to do utilities to make the drive appear like it was a series of smaller drives.
But first find the manual and go from there.
all I know is its i440bx Chipset?

Believe me I wish I knew more about the Board, Never seen one in my life it looks like OCS but were they Around in 1997?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
After I got a Voodoo-I (instead of a Banshee) for my PentiumMMX-166MHz-PC, I am very excited that I have nearly completed this build.

Now there's another building site: Pentium-II-333MHz. Which gfx-card is best suited for this processor? Riva TNT? Rage 128? Something else? No Voodoo (II) please.
I don't Recommend Rage 128 Stick With Nvidia or Different in this Era

I might sound like I don't have a clue what I am on about when saying this but a Geforce 2 mx would be Perfect for that Build?

Had nothing But Crap with the Rage/Xpert/Magnum (Whatever the hell it is) 128 no matter the Driver Release!

Dumpster diving is All well and good but finding the right Driver is a art!

According to Everest Home Edition, Chaintech is the Motherboard Supplier?

Last edited by DamienD; Today at 11:34.
Old Today, 10:03   #542
lesta_smsc

Chaintech was the manufacturer of my GeForce 2 MX 200 (they made a cut down and a slightly better MX and I could only afford cut down at the time!).

This card played everything we threw at it and at excellent speed. Seems like it was faultless back in the day so I could 2nd that suggestion by @nathanm1991. Though I would still say the S3 Savage Pro was also a great card that, like glide on Voodoo, had excellent texture compression to optimise high textured graphics without loss in frame rate.
Old Today, 11:35   #543
DamienD
Global Moderator

@nathanm1991, I've merged 5 x "back to back" posts that were minutes apart yet again.

Please use the multi quote going forward
Old Today, 13:13   #544
Stewcumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
all I know is its i440bx Chipset?

Believe me I wish I knew more about the Board, Never seen one in my life it looks like OCS but were they Around in 1997?

According to Everest Home Edition, Chaintech is the Motherboard Supplier?
Does the board have a model number anywhere on it? What does CPU-Z make of the board and BIOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Chaintech was the manufacturer of my GeForce 2 MX 200 (they made a cut down and a slightly better MX and I could only afford cut down at the time!).

This card played everything we threw at it and at excellent speed. Seems like it was faultless back in the day so I could 2nd that suggestion by @nathanm1991. Though I would still say the S3 Savage Pro was also a great card that, like glide on Voodoo, had excellent texture compression to optimise high textured graphics without loss in frame rate.
I am also a fan of the MX cards. I'm also a poster on VOGONS and they're quite picky about hardware set ups and they would probably say Vodoo 2 or go home, but I'm all for saving money and getting slightly newer and more reliable hardware. I'd say an MX2 or 4 series card will be perfect - that is, powerful enough to be completely CPU limited. And they cost about 5p these days; they seem to find you rather than you find them! A TNT2 of somekind will probably be powerful enough too.

On my original 400MHz P2 I was CPU limited with a TNT2 Pro when gaming at 800*600 on 1999 games.