English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 08 February 2006, 21:33   #21
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc
There exist some SPS images of games which don't have a disk-protection, but are only manual protected in a way that you have to enter a word from the manual at some point in the game.
Also I think some games which came on more than 1 disk only had disk-protection on the first disk, whereas disk 2, 3 and so on are normal 80 track Amiga disks.

My question is does any tool exist to convert these from IPF to ADF, or directly write these IPF images back to a real Amiga disk ?
Since there is no disk-protection it should at least theoretically be possible, wouldn't it ?
Ok, there's no general answer but I think I can reply to some questions and make a mini FAQ:

WinUAE: mount IPF file(s) and use lockpick/maverick to create ADFs or extended ADFs.
* standard ADF (manual protection removed), any amiga can write the diskimage back to disk if you manage to transfer the data to a real amiga.
* MFM/extended ADF: as lockpick and maverick used to write back to floppy, you can wwarp the written extended ADFs to a .wwp file, and write them back to floppy using an amiga and WWarp

Real Amiga: use mfm2wwarp to convert the files to .wwp format, then use wwarp f option to force decoding of known formats. If the tracks can be decoded, then wwarp is able to write back the data to a floppy disk, even if the disk has some protection (when the format is supported, examples: standard DOS, RN PDOS, Gremlin ...).
Be careful, some games like Virocop or Fire & Ice will decode in DOS but should not be processed with "f" option because the header is not DOS. Decoding will prevent the loader to work. Not decoding is OK.
If the format is not supported, depending on the track length and your floppy drive (High density is better) you may be able to write back the data to disk.
If the disk is dos except for track 1, then it's very likely that the disk is protected by RN copylock. Maybe Lockpick or Maverick can help in those cases.

hope it helps.
Old 09 February 2006, 00:09   #22
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Anyone can post lockpick ? I had it but no more actually.
Old 09 February 2006, 17:41   #23
Mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Anyone can post lockpick ? I had it but no more actually.
Have just posted it to the Zone!
Old 13 February 2006, 08:39   #24
Wepl

trackwarp

for games which are in standard dos format (manual protection, etc.) you can also use the tool tw2adf from the trackwarp package (http://whdload.de/whdload/).
this is faster/simpler than the way via wwarp...
Old 13 February 2006, 15:43   #25
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Is possible to write back to disk a CAPS image with the catweasel??
I'm very interested in that option.
Old 13 February 2006, 21:35   #26
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

That option apparently is "Most likely" in Catweisel MK4, but the SPS team cant make it happen, until they get a unit to work with from Jens (Something he promised them apparently), so until then, probably not.
Old 15 February 2006, 16:28   #27
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
That option apparently is "Most likely" in Catweisel MK4, but the SPS team cant make it happen, until they get a unit to work with from Jens (Something he promised them apparently), so until then, probably not.
That statement reads like we wont support Mk4 until we get a freebie, this is NOT the case. we have had other people offer to send us their MK4 for long term use, and we've refused....the story is:

Jens HAS offered to send us a MK4 board, with MK4 firmware and drivers. currently the MK4 board ships with MK3 firmware, and MK3 drivers. therefore Jens simply cannot supply what he offered yet.

the current board with it's MK3 firmware and drivers does not do what we'd need it to do and therefore, as much as we would like to, we cannot support it.

you'll also find this is the same issue that prevents support being added in WINUAE too.

in short, it's not yet ready, we dont know if or when it ever will be and it's not in our hands.

hopefully that clears this up
Old 16 February 2006, 13:13   #28
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

it does, yes
Old 16 February 2006, 15:26   #29
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
That statement reads like we wont support Mk4 until we get a freebie, this is NOT the case. we have had other people offer to send us their MK4 for long term use, and we've refused....the story is:

Jens HAS offered to send us a MK4 board, with MK4 firmware and drivers. currently the MK4 board ships with MK3 firmware, and MK3 drivers. therefore Jens simply cannot supply what he offered yet.

the current board with it's MK3 firmware and drivers does not do what we'd need it to do and therefore, as much as we would like to, we cannot support it.

you'll also find this is the same issue that prevents support being added in WINUAE too.

in short, it's not yet ready, we dont know if or when it ever will be and it's not in our hands.

hopefully that clears this up

Tell me about it only thing it does is C64 SID stuff... everything else is a bit shoddy!
Old 16 February 2006, 15:36   #30
Interceptor

well, it's important this thread doesnt turn into a product bashing thread.

i've just stated how the current CW Mk4 stands regarding SPS image support
Old 16 February 2006, 15:55   #31
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
WinUAE: mount IPF file(s) and use lockpick/maverick to create ADFs or extended ADFs.
Use them *TO* create ADFs, how do you think this could be possible?
So you have an IPF image in the virtual disk drive of WinUAE. Now you use lockpick on that disk image. This will MODIFY the disk image. But IPFs are read-only (by design!).
Maybe you mean "rescuing" the temporary save image from WinUAE from being deleted, having this as your "target" ADF?
Old 17 February 2006, 02:47   #32
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Lockpick copies from one drive to another, therefore whether the source (IPF) image is write protected or not is irrelevant. What matters is what is written to the target (ADF) image. Sometimes it produces a usable ADF, and sometimes it does not but the process itself is pretty straight forward.
Old 17 February 2006, 12:03   #33
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Haven't used Lockpick for ages then.
Thought it would just support ONE previously created, protected copy of an original and then start fiddling on it.
Old 17 February 2006, 17:43   #34
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
you can for example create an unprotected version of awesome in dos format
with the intro disk and easily copiable ^^
Old 17 February 2006, 19:05   #35
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Haven't used Lockpick for ages then.
Thought it would just support ONE previously created, protected copy of an original and then start fiddling on it.
You may be thinking of FreeCopy (available in the Fish collection) or something along those lines. FreeCopy does work in that manner, and others may as well, but I'm not sure which others those would be.
Old 20 February 2006, 19:48   #36
Olecranon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
It wont be Original if youve had to crack it so the only difference would be the cracktro, A purrist would also buy the game to have the Original copies

Still, i think the procedure isnt possible for the most part. Upgrade the a500 with new kick roms and a harddrive, more memory and use whd versions. Near as damn it to pure, without waiting for floppies to boot.
I think your living in 1990 Mad-Matt Buying the games is simply not an option for the most part. Sure you can grab some games off Ebay but these titles are 10-20 years old and subject to the same bit rot that SPS is trying to protect against. Nevermind the fact that alot of Amiga floppy disk drives recently had their 20th birthday and probably do a better job of wrecking floppies than they do reading them.
Old 03 May 2006, 20:50   #37
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

back to 1991 I had a copier from powercomputing (I think) and it was called "blitz copier". I beleive several interfaces were made anyway so would it be possible to mount an IPF image on amiga and copy it via those "hard copier" interfaces ?

IF it s a REALLY stupid question just ignore me
Old 03 May 2006, 22:05   #38
fiath

I had one of those.

Devices like that cannot be used because the rely on tight synchronisation of two real drives. Although it might be possible to emulate the effects though some intermediate hardware, the copies would not be very good anyway:

http://www.softpres.org/?id=glossary...ier&s=hardware
Old 03 June 2014, 10:37   #39
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
The question still remains, why the need for conversion ?
Because Gotek Drives cannot read IPF
Old 03 June 2014, 15:51   #40
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
Because Gotek Drives cannot read IPF
Yes, but Gotek drives cannot (yet) read Extended ADFs, too.

So the situation is:
- IPF disks without error protections: you can easily convert them to normal ADFs (for example in WinUAE with a normal disk copy)
- IPF disks with error protections: they can't be converted for use with Gotek, at the moment