English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the ultimate Emulation handheld?
GBA 14 38.89%
GP32 13 36.11%
/me dont know 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 March 2004, 17:36   #61
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ok manicx, I stand corrected. You have tested it. Not all games are appropriate for a handheld - but only because of control factors - ie mouse games. But thats inevitable...

Still, the only emus that arent full speed are Gens, Snes, Lynx and CPC. My ratings were for all round performance not this factor alone if anyone was confused.

The CPC one hasnt been released so doesnt count and the Snes is quite playable now, and should be even faster when the ARM cpu core comes along.

So really, its the Gens and Lynx to point the finger at for now. Lynx apparently looks impossible due to its hardware (designed by Jay Miner wasnt it?) but Gens *could* be done seeing the SNES was more advanced.

GBA and Amiga emulation is unrealistic, still MAME is on its way which should be fab especially if it can do games from the late eighties. Nevertheless, the software library of the emulated systems is enormous

If i could afford a Zaurus id get one. I still think the GP32 represents good value for money tho.

Anyway, my apologies for getting on my high horse but I did think you were a little too harsh and dismissive of Gameparks fab handheld.
Old 13 March 2004, 17:37   #62
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Antiriad
I believe you should not emulate commerically viable platforms - only redundant ones...and NEVER charge for them. That only justifies the lawyers...
But all platforms are commercially viable. Look at the popularity of those handsets that were about £20 and plugged directly into the TV with NES-compatible hardware and about 50 NES games on the ROM.
Old 13 March 2004, 17:41   #63
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Yes ok, so you can exploit any platform. What i mean is one where you can easily buy the software for in a shop.
Old 13 March 2004, 22:35   #64
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobsonsirjonny
Trust me - GP32 rocks. Better than GBA in so many ways. The community is fantastic - like the Amiga community used to be. Dev is too a penny.
It's nothing close to the Amiga scene, not even the current scene.

Quote:
Plus there is ample home brew dev - and native software. Origional titles which are great such as tomak saves the earth again.
Have you actually played Tomak? It's rubbish. I have that, Dungeon and Garder, and one other game I can't rembmer and Tomak is by far the worst. Poor graphics, huge slowdown, and no creativity. It's honestly one of the worst games I've played on a modern system.
Old 14 March 2004, 19:46   #65
Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:
Originally posted by adolescent
It's nothing close to the Amiga scene, not even the current scene.

OK lets see... remove the flaming. Remove the fighting, remove the splitting. You are right, its nowt like it is now...

But what did we have.. we used to have a bunch of ppl that would pull together, promote the platform and make cool software... We were a strong community.

Or maybe you dont remember those days, as you are still an adolecent

Old 15 March 2004, 18:00   #66
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobsonsirjonny
OK lets see... remove the flaming. Remove the fighting, remove the splitting. You are right, its nowt like it is now...

But what did we have.. we used to have a bunch of ppl that would pull together, promote the platform and make cool software... We were a strong community.

Or maybe you dont remember those days, as you are still an adolecent
That makes a good community... But, the things you mentioned as bad made the Amiga scene good. Several groups fighting for power, racing to release things a second before other groups, cracking the game thought uncrackable, creating demos that do things thought impossible, etc.. The C64 scene was great because of this too, and was great to be around. I don't see any of this energy in the GP32 community. There are a handful of developers that do emulators and other blah ports. Where is the real originality? If I wanted to play Doom, I'd play it on any of the other 25 more suitable platforms.
Old 15 March 2004, 18:26   #67
Bobsonsirjonny

On the contrary - The GP32 has this "positive" fighting competition.. people wanting to out do each other. That is not hostile, but a case of trying to be the best.

As for cracking... that is a somewhat dark aspect.

What I was reffering to was the way that we have Blue, Red, and Black trolls Flameing each other...

The GP32 community gathers round and pisses on each others fires to put them out.

Old 15 March 2004, 18:34   #68
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

The GP32 community is a nice one, Ive done icons and/or backdrops for many of the emulator/port authors and theyre a friendly bunch who do great work.

Oh sure its not the Amiga or C64 community - but what is these days?
Old 09 April 2004, 21:03   #69
Nexjen
Abre Los Ojos

Send a message via AIM to Nexjen Send a message via MSN to Nexjen
I was going to buy a GP32 ages ago but I figured I would get get a GBA and Flash Cart.

Iv got to say I really only bought the GBA because of the software there are some great ports of games for example:The Pac Man Collection , Puyo Puyo , The Famicom Collect and so on and so on.

Not to mention that emulators are coming out for the SNES , and theres already ones out for the Game Gear and the NES.

I seen the plus points for the GP32 , but im happy not spending money on the roms all the time as well as batterys.

I think both systems are totally different and the only draw back of the GBA is its power and its screen size(its really tiny)

Well thats my two cents.
Old 10 April 2004, 17:53   #70
adolescent