English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 March 2017, 14:15   #41
trixster
Guru Meditating

Thanks. The screen modes are probably not much use but it might rule out the picasso96settings files I'm trying being corrupt or not.

Out of interest, are you using Peter K's icon.library? I can't remember if I've tried removing that from LIBS: to see if that's the issue. What SCSI.device do you use?

Any chance of getting a copy of you mediator config output?

What version of workbench.library are you using? The guru I'm getting is always 8000 0004 and the task ID seems to be the workbench process. I think 8000 0004 relates to a memory conflict, perhaps not physically memory, but maybe a memory location conflict.

I assume you do not run fblit or Ftext with your setup?

In prefs, what are your settings for the workbench prefs?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 March 2017, 03:29   #42
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Thanks. The screen modes are probably not much use but it might rule out the picasso96settings files I'm trying being corrupt or not.

Out of interest, are you using Peter K's icon.library? I can't remember if I've tried removing that from LIBS: to see if that's the issue. What SCSI.device do you use?

Any chance of getting a copy of you mediator config output?

What version of workbench.library are you using? The guru I'm getting is always 8000 0004 and the task ID seems to be the workbench process. I think 8000 0004 relates to a memory conflict, perhaps not physically memory, but maybe a memory location conflict.

I assume you do not run fblit or Ftext with your setup?

In prefs, what are your settings for the workbench prefs?
Yes I've been using PeterK's icon.library for quite some time now. I also use the Workbench.library patch included in the archive as well 45.131 (?) something like that.

The Mediator config output should all be in the ENVARC:Mediator file I attached. If you delete or clear that directory on your machine and use mine or compare vs yours, that's everything. I can't actually get the Medconfig output since the power is out tonight but I can do that tomorrow.

I sometimes have fblit and ftext running, sometimes not, it hasn't been a problem having them on. With the Voodoo on usually it is recommended to turn those off since they're mainly for AGA as I understand it.

I have Don Adan's scsi.device in ROM, only because for some reason I picked that one (higher version) but I don't use the onboard IDE. If I had done it again I would just use the the 43.45 from Aminet.

Workbench prefs, I can't check right now but images in "Other Memory" and rendering quality Low, something like that.

The last few days I have had the mediator disappearing again, but for me I'm getting 8000 0004 sometimes on bootup for the first few boots, then after the system "warms up" it goes away. This was chronic a couple days ago, I couldn't get the machine to finish booting to workbench or it would die shortly after it loaded the Voodoo driver. What it ended up was my many 4-pin drive extension cables going to various fans. What I'm guessing is going on is all that extra cabling and particularly low quality connectors were causing ripple or noise on the 5V line and causing either the mediator or the address and/or data bus on the motherboard to screw up. I removed a couple of the Y-cables and rigged up another drive power cable to the modular power supply.

I would suggest maybe trying to rearrange your drive power cables and see if the problem changes at all. Remove anything you don't need to boot, floppy, CDROM if you have it. Try the other set of drive connectors.

Not sure if you mentioned this but have you tried a Radeon? The Voodoo pulls a good bit of power on the PCI slot and it's all on the overloaded single 5V line going to the A4000 motherboard on a desktop. I know the standard A4000 power supply has more than enough power as when they were new they ran for years with all zorro slots filled up but just a couple short decades later that single female connector that powers your whole A4000 motherboard and PCI busboard is likely corroded if it has not been replaced. And again dirty power connectors=bad power.
Old 09 March 2017, 10:27   #43
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'll try and give the files a try this weekend, thanks for all the other info. I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with it as well, they seem really flakey don't they!

It could be a conflict with the 64mb motherboard hack (although it was doing what it does before I had that done!) - I've got a zorram on the way so I could try removing the m'board ram once that's installed to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited by trixster; 09 March 2017 at 10:33.
Old 10 March 2017, 01:42   #44
grelbfarlk

I have the 64MB motherboard mod as well and it works fine with the A4000d and the Mediator. But what I was saying about power is relevant to you. The 64MB mod was one of the first points when I discovered I had power problems, I was only getting like 24MB at first, tearing my hair out thinking I did the mod wrong. It turned out it was a combination of poor grounding and corroded power connectors.
I cleaned the motherboard power connector and the cable and that worked alright until I added the Mediator then had memory problems again. I eventually just switched to an mini-ATX or SFX power supply and made a new power cable then everything started working just fine.

Like I said, rearrange your drive power connectors, see if the symptoms change and remove any drives you don't need to boot, like just use your IDE-SD or whatever it is.
Old 18 March 2017, 10:46   #45
trixster
Guru Meditating

Yesterday morning I thought I'd made progress. I tried replacing the P5 68060.library with the one Cosmos released as while ago. Bare in mind I've already tried the mmulib 060 library, but I thought I'd give this one a try too. This seemed to fix the freeze im seeing after double-clicking Voodoo and then accessing the harddrive. I would still get some screen garbling with windows but I could even load Pucasso96Prefs. Furthermore the voodoo card was recognised and I could alter screenmodes. Sadly I still could not get the voodoo to display anything but at least we were getting somewhere.

This seemed fine for about 5 minutes. I rebooted a few times, tried grelbfarlk's settings etc, and then all of a sudden double clicking Voodoo would result in a freeze again. Now all I get is the freeze, like being back to square one.

One difference is that the guru now seems to always be 8000 000B, still involving the workbench task. In the past I'm sure it's been 8000 0008.

Searches on here and Amiga.org suggest 8000 000B is commonly an fpu issue.

Any thoughts? It's strange that the freezing issue abated for a while and then inexplicably came back.
Old 19 March 2017, 12:10   #46
Kin Hell

Quote:
<snip>
It's strange that the freezing issue abated for a while and then inexplicably came back.
Sounding more & more like a power issue fella
Old 20 May 2017, 02:38   #47
trixster
Guru Meditating

Ok so I think I've solved my mediator problems.

Something in my LoadModules line was causing the crash upon dbl clicking Voodoo. With that removed it's sorted: 1280x1024 24bit workbench, Ethernet up and running, Sound Blaster, GLQuake running beautifully at 640x480.

It's been a pretty long road to get to this point, and this evening efforts were going to be my last attempt, but finally im there.

Im absolutely certain I'd removed everything that might cause the issue from my s-s on more than one occasion, but clearly not. I've not zeroed down to the exact module or library that is causing the problem, but as it stands the system is running ok and it's not going in the bin.

Old 20 May 2017, 03:01   #48
grelbfarlk

Quote:

Something in my LoadModules line was causing the crash upon dbl clicking Voodoo. With that removed it's sorted: 1280x1024 24bit workbench, Ethernet up and running, Sound Blaster, GLQuake running beautifully at 640x480.

It's been a pretty long road to get to this point, and this evening efforts were going to be my last attempt, but finally im there.

Im absolutely certain I'd removed everything that might cause the issue from my s-s on more than one occasion, but clearly not. I've not zeroed down to the exact module or library that is causing the problem, but as it stands the system is running ok and it's not going in the bin.

You didn't happen to have card.resource in loadmodule/loadresident did you?
Old 20 May 2017, 03:08   #49
trixster
Guru Meditating

No, I was using SCSI.device 46.0, don_adan's graphics, layers, utility and dos.library, plus the hsmathslibs.

Removing layers, utility, dos and graphics library's fixed it. It works fine now with the SCSI.library and the hsmathslibs.

I'm absolutely totally completely certain I removed all 4 of those libraries one by one during my last batch of testing.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:22   #50
Kin Hell

Quote:

Well done fella. Great News.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:40   #51
trixster
Guru Meditating

Thanks mate! I'm really chuffed with the setup now. I've added some silent case fans to the machine to try and aid stability, although I've been using it for several hours last night and then this morning without issue so far (hastily touches wood).

So the machine specification is now:

WB 3.9 bb2
Cyberstorm Mk2 128mb
Voodoo 3, 1280x1024x24bit
Indivision AGA
Ratte monitor switch
Sound Blaster
Ethernet
Buster 11
64MB motherboard ram mod
DVD RW
ZorRam 256MB