English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 May 2017, 17:36   #1
Jilly_C

Zappo CD Drive

Hello everyone. We have just unearthed our old Amiga 1200 and some of the bits and bobs that go with it all. We have a Zappo CD drive and all the software is still installed on the 1200's internal hard drive. We attached the CD drive to the 1200 and plugged the power supply into the mains but nothing is happening. It has been so long since we last used it and I can't remember if it should show up on the workbench automatically or not. I see that if I turn the machine on with the left mouse button down there is an option to CD boot but again, nothing is happening. I wonder if the hard drive is just no good after being in the cupboard since the late 90's! There is just a slight flicker of green from the CD drive but that's all. I can't find the manual (if there was one with it). We have lots of CD32 games (can't find the lead to connect that machine to an appropriate TV/monitor) and would like to see if they still work as I believe they can be played using the Zappo drive. If anyone could share any ideas please it would be much appreciated.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 15 May 2017, 21:21   #2
Daedalus

Welcome along!

Normally CD drives show up automatically, but only when there's a CD inserted - unlike PCs, an empty drive is invisible on the Amiga. It could be the case however that the CD driver is not being loaded on boot. Check your boot partition's Devs/DOSDrivers drawer and make sure there's an icon in there for the CD drive. If you double-click it, it should give you a "Device CD0: is already mounted" or similar error if it's already been activated.
Old 16 May 2017, 11:54   #3
Jilly_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Welcome along!

Normally CD drives show up automatically, but only when there's a CD inserted - unlike PCs, an empty drive is invisible on the Amiga. It could be the case however that the CD driver is not being loaded on boot. Check your boot partition's Devs/DOSDrivers drawer and make sure there's an icon in there for the CD drive. If you double-click it, it should give you a "Device CD0: is already mounted" or similar error if it's already been activated.
Hi Daedalus. Thank you so much for your help. I have checked the Devs/DOSDrivers drawer and clicked the icon for the CD drive as you suggested and it throws up the error that you mentioned. When we push the open/close button on the drive nothing happens. I have tried clicking the 'Drive Door' icon, which places a small bar at the top of the workbench but that is all. As before the drive light flashes green for a split second on booting the 1200. The power supply to the CD drive has a red light. Perhaps the CD drive is just gone to the great hardware resting place in the sky?
Old 16 May 2017, 12:21   #4
Daedalus

Hmmm, it's possible I guess... The doors don't usually open if the device is trying to read, so perhaps there's an issue along those lines. You can normally open drives with a paperclip in a small "emergency release" hole on the front of the drive. It's worth opening it while it's powered off and then powering it on to see if it resets the door or laser mechanisms.
Old 17 May 2017, 22:18   #5
Jilly_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Hmmm, it's possible I guess... The doors don't usually open if the device is trying to read, so perhaps there's an issue along those lines. You can normally open drives with a paperclip in a small "emergency release" hole on the front of the drive. It's worth opening it while it's powered off and then powering it on to see if it resets the door or laser mechanisms.
Hello again, sorry for the late response. Thanks again for your input. We don't seem to be able to open the CD drive even with a paperclip. Not looking good I think we will have to put it down as no longer functioning. Thank you very much for your help though
AdSense AdSense