English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 May 2015, 20:39   #1
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Post Workbench files, PD/Shareware and Copyright

Hi,

Back in the day I was thinking of making a few disks to send to PD libraries, these ranged from PD compilations to slideshows. One thing that worried me was the inclusion of Workbench based files to make the disk boot and the copyright surrounding them. For example, the C folder would contain type, loadwb, and such on a lot of PD disks.

Was there a copyright issue here, or did it come under some kind of fair usage?
Old 07 May 2015, 20:48   #2
Nosferax

There were some alternative menu application that were used for compilations I believe.
Old 07 May 2015, 23:07   #3
gulliver
BoingBagged

I remember Commodore charged a very fair sum of money for rights redistributing Workbench disks for indie developers (unlike today).

On the other hand, if my memory is not playing tricks with me, there was a freely distributable workbench floppy, that was very limited in usage (lots of features removed) and was built by CBM to encourage PD/home developers.

Today you can do it with AROS 68k + some free Aminet stuff. I have done it. If you want it let me know and I will upload it. It has some limitations though (no clipboard and Arexx functionality) but everything seems running fine.
Old 08 May 2015, 21:41   #4
markpjd
Games-Coffer

Hi,

It's not such much the whole of the workbench disks, more the odd file from the C folder, copied from the original WB disks.

For example, the small programs like type, loadwb (others that I cant think of at the moment) which you would typically find on WB disks. These files were present on a lot of PD disks and such.

I'm wondering if there was some kind of fair use for certain small programs originally from the workbench disks?
Old 09 May 2015, 00:24   #5
gulliver
BoingBagged

Well, there was something like fair use, and that concept still lingers in many Aminet archives that contain some copyrighted Commodore stuff, but of course, those files are an accessory to the main software, which was homebred, and are not meant to be redistributed alone by themselves.
Old 09 May 2015, 02:02   #6
Nosferax

The fact that if you bought an amiga it came with WB and a license to use it, I don't really see a problem here.