English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 July 2007, 21:36   #1
DaMi

Cyberstorm PPC UW bus boot problem

Hello,
I have a boot problem with my A4000. I use 4 GB Maxtor IDE hard drive through IDE bus without any problems. But I am thinking to start to use some bigger scsi drive through the UW bus on my CS PPC turbo board.
I connected the scsi drive to CS, run system from my ide disk, prepared the scsi drive and without any problems installed os 3.9 (and BB1&BB2). Everything works pretty fine, the system is of course much faster, but:

1. When I tried to disconnect the old ide drive, the amiga does not boot. After rebooting or switching up I see black screen and hear some attempts to “touch” the scsi drive but nothing happens more. In about 20-30 seconds the system reboots. I am unable to see the “boot menu” either. But I can access the phase5 scsi control menu through holding “ESC” after reboot.

2. When I put the ide drive back, the system boots from the scsi drive normally again. The IDE drive has priority -1 and the scsi drive 1.

This probably means that I have to somehow disconnect the internal ide bus. I tried to do so in the phase5 scsi control menu on the CS, but it seems when I set the scsi patch in the System menu, the situation is the same as in point 1&2.

I tested 3 scsi drives (18 GB IBM, 4GB IBM and 250 GB IDE Seagate through UW ACard), but it does the same problem. I tried to change SCSI ID from 0 to 4 but still the same.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I have A4000D, motherboard revision B, CSPPC 060@50/604@200, CVPPC, Kickstart 3.1, cybppc.device 44.67, all disks are PFS3 formatted. Thank you for your ideas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5SCSI_Boot_Menu1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	14430  
Old 26 July 2007, 21:44   #2
thomas

Quote:
When I tried to disconnect the old ide drive, the amiga does not boot.
When there is no IDE drive connected, the system will wait much longer before it starts booting, i.e. up to 30 seconds.

There is an option in the PPC menu to disable the IDE bus. IIRC it's called SCSI-Patch. There is a file called FlashBIOS.doc in the flash update archive which describes all options of the PPC menu.

Quote:
In about 20-30 seconds the system reboots.
You probably forgot to store the file system in the SCSI disk's RDB. Now when the IDE drive is connected it can load the file system from it, but if there is only SCSI, the file system cannot be found and the OS crashes.

Use the "Add/Update" dialogue of HDToolbox to add the file system.
Old 29 July 2007, 12:16   #3
Jope
-

Also take care to have the correct dostype in both the filesystem and the partition.
Old 30 July 2007, 19:28   #4
DaMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Use the "Add/Update" dialogue of HDToolbox to add the file system.
It seems I have solved it. The problem was with the filesystem in the RDB. There was PFS but after I deleted it and again uploaded, it started to boot without any difficulties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Also take care to have the correct dostype in both the filesystem and the partition.
The dostype was set correctly.

Thank both of you