English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 August 2007, 00:33   #1
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

CD rom with unusual interface

Chaps,
A little advice required if possible..

Looking to do a Smiley/Zetro internal CD/DVD mod with my 1200, so purchased an IBM thinkpad CD-rom which was advertised as an IDE device (wanting to link directly into my bufferred interface via Hong Kong adaptor)

This is what's hardwired to the back of it..

Attachment 14579

A search shows it's possibly an SCSI? connection and I've counted 50 pins each side.

So, is there another Hong Kong adaptor to IDE 40 pin, or in the bin?

Many thanks

Last edited by Magno Boots; 29 February 2008 at 23:25.
Old 24 August 2007, 00:37   #2
girv
Mostly Harmless

Google the model number ? It may well be a proprietary interface only used by IBM
Old 24 August 2007, 00:40   #3
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Tried that Girv. Nothing of any value to be found. Looks like I'll be saving the screws only!
Old 24 August 2007, 01:00   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Magno,

my friend that looks like 80pin SKA SCSI... is this adpater removable? if so there may well be a 50 JAE IDE connector (fingers crossed)

if thats the case then it would be quite simple to add an adapter
Old 24 August 2007, 08:58   #5
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
IDE sure looks dirrerently it MIGHT be SCA connector, but pinout will not be same you can bet on it. There are power lines included on this connector on cdrom i think.
Old 24 August 2007, 09:40   #6
Jope
-

I have had some old IBM Thinkpads that had IDE CD-ROMs with this kind of connector. It presses down onto another connector that sits on the motherboard of the laptop.

The CD-ROM itself sits under the keyboard of the computer. You lift up the front of the keyboard, the drive goes in front panel first into the front end of the machine and then you press down the back to mate the connectors. You can see the metal "handle" on the other side of the drive (the op's picture is from the bottom side), this is what you grab to lift it out.

Doesn't really look that much like SCA, even though both are "micro centronix" style connectors. (yes, I just invented micro centronix :-)

There might be a 44pin connector or a JAE connector hidden and that is just an adapter board where this strange connector is. If you want, try and take it apart a bit.

I've noticed that many of these older laptop CD-ROMs don't work too well with Amiga ATAPI drivers. I have one old 6x laptop mechanism that works fine in my IDE64, but is not detected in the A1200.
Old 24 August 2007, 10:20   #7
Light Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots View Post
Chaps,

A search shows it's possibly an SCSI? connection and I've counted 50 pins each side.

So, is there another Hong Kong adaptor to IDE 40 pin, or in the bin?

Many thanks
@Magno,

It looks like a SCA but that would have 80 pins not 50 there are adaptors available to convert and as Zetro (listen to him, he knows his stuff) says one could already be fitted. they look like this:

http://site352.mysite4now.com/image4...s/eb980104.jpg

SCA adapter 80 pin to SCSI 1 2 3 68 and 50 Pin Converter Card
Description Convert SCA 80 Pin Hard Drive Interface to SCSI III (UW) HD 68 Pin Connector
Convert SCA 80 Pin Hard Drive Interface to SCSI I/II IDC 50 Pin Connector
Adapter 80 Pin connector is female
4 Pin power connector
Compatible model: SCA & SCA-2 80 Pin SCSI Devices

Hope this helps.

Old 24 August 2007, 16:36   #8
OddbOd

Jope is right on the money! It's called an Ultrabay connector, yes it's proprietary to Thinkpads, yes it is an AT-IDE device and yes a pinout is available in ThinkPad 760XD/760XL/765D/765L Technical Reference (July 1997), it's a replacement part for this series of Laptops as most of them did not come from the factory with optical drives fitted. Do I think it will work even with a pin adapter? No, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: Here's a picture of what Jope was describing, the blue tabs at the back are taped to a steel handle that is used to disconnect the drive.

Last edited by OddbOd; 24 August 2007 at 16:44.
Old 24 August 2007, 22:54   #9
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@magno,

does that adapter come off? if not dont throw it I may (if i get some time) be able to build an IDE adapter for you... this would come in handy for anyone else using IBM Think Pad roms.
Old 25 August 2007, 22:01   #10
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Thanks for the replies chaps.
You were all correct by stating that the connection was unique to IBM, and there's is hardly any mention of it on the net, so I had a little peek inside the device.

Attachment 14583

Absolutely no chance of a possible IDE connection I'd say.

@Zetro - thanks for the offer buddy, but it's now in bits and in the bin!!

Mind you, I saved so many small screws, I'll never have to pay the optician again when my specs fall apart.

Thanks again

Last edited by Magno Boots; 29 February 2008 at 23:25.