English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 June 2015, 15:54   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Customised CD32s

I've seen quite a few spray-painted/dyed Amiga 500s and 1200s, but never a CD32. Maybe because they don't get all yellow and manky so people leave them alone? Has anyone else seen one?

I got one this week and it's in great shape except for a few scrapes to the metal rectangular badge so I might paint that bit and leave the embossed 'Amiga CD32' lettering showing through in the same colour. I'm not sure if that's a sticker on top of the metal or printed/painted onto it. Has anyone got any suggestions?... other than get a life you sad git! I've heard that one already.
Old 27 June 2015, 16:37   #2
SWIV

I don`t know to be honest,I believe in just letting retro stuff just age naturally and show evidence of getting chipped and knocked about and I have no idea why someone would want to spray paint a retro system but I guess it is better than taking the insides out and turning it into a toaster lol.I used to work at a place that repaired them back in the 90`s and when you put the joypad down on the workbench sometimes the CD would jump.
Old 27 June 2015, 16:58   #3
Magic

Years ago I was working on a CD32T (I have a unit with a damaged case) but I could not find a way to connect a standard CD-R drive to the on-board connector.
Old 29 June 2015, 13:00   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Years ago I was working on a CD32T (I have a unit with a damaged case) but I could not find a way to connect a standard CD-R drive to the on-board connector.
Just buy a decent looking AWIA stereo from about 6+ years ago and fit mobo in it as they used same CD Mechanism. Im sure you can find a SONY stereo too.
Old 29 June 2015, 22:13   #5
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIV View Post
I don`t know to be honest,I believe in just letting retro stuff just age naturally and show evidence of getting chipped and knocked about and I have no idea why someone would want to spray paint a retro system...
Congratulations, you have a healthy psychological make-up and approach to life, ageing and decay. I wish I was wired like that. For the OCD types there's therapy or anally-retentive restoration projects.

After a bit of Googling all I could find was a white CD32, though this looks like it came out of the factory like that. Was this an official variation? I'm not sure I get it. Most of the previous Amiga models were white so why would you want to ditch the distinctive gun-metal hue that sets the CD32 apart from the crowd?

I'm not planning on spraying mine, mostly just curious. What I've settled on is making a custom badge, either by printing a transfer, or painting the metal logo plate. It doesn't appear to be too easy to get out without damaging the plastic around it though. I'm not going to go jabbing a screwdriver under it.

Edit: I found the answer to my white CD32 question here.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 29 June 2015 at 22:23.
Old 30 June 2015, 11:44   #6
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIV View Post
I don`t know to be honest,I believe in just letting retro stuff just age naturally and show evidence of getting chipped and knocked about and I have no idea why someone would want to spray paint a retro system
I really agree with this.
Old 30 June 2015, 13:31   #7
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Just buy a decent looking AWIA stereo from about 6+ years ago and fit mobo in it as they used same CD Mechanism. Im sure you can find a SONY stereo too.
Ha ha.
I brought back an old AWIA stereo from my parents recently.
The CD32 I bought could not read CD-R's and I was 'I wonder if I still have the CD drive from that AWIA'.

I go and have a look through my junk parts and sure enough it is the same laser unit (although 'B' version)

However... The AWIA CD unit started skipping back in the day, so sure enough once fitted to the CD32 it was no good. But I did find it funny that I just happened to have the same unit!

My sister also had an AWIA stereo that is still at my parents. I will have to retrieve that one next time I am back (I solved CD32 CD-R issue with cheap eBay unit).
Old 30 June 2015, 21:57   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Common problem, clean laser lens, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Ha ha.
I brought back an old AWIA stereo from my parents recently.
The CD32 I bought could not read CD-R's and I was 'I wonder if I still have the CD drive from that AWIA'.

I go and have a look through my junk parts and sure enough it is the same laser unit (although 'B' version)

However... The AWIA CD unit started skipping back in the day, so sure enough once fitted to the CD32 it was no good. But I did find it funny that I just happened to have the same unit!

My sister also had an AWIA stereo that is still at my parents. I will have to retrieve that one next time I am back (I solved CD32 CD-R issue with cheap eBay unit).