English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 September 2011, 19:19   #1
jt5566
jt

Battery, PCMCIA & Compact Flash queries amiga 600

Hi
im a novice amiga upgrader with little tech knowledge however ive just replaced the old 20mb harddrive in my A600 as it seemed broken. Ive put a 4gb CF in its place (got the CF adapter card from Hong Kong) The Amiga recognised it ok and all seems to have partitioned as per the Amiga prep/format drive options at start up. I installed workbench and it seems to work fine. One slight query was i got a "not validated" message for my hard disk but it seems to work ok so far?
The main issue at present is my time/date settings seem to be forgotten. Im unsure how to change the system battery and is so for what? Ive got some cr2032 bats but cant budge the battery attached to the 1mb RAM expansion or am i looking in the wrong place?
Ive also got a CF PCMCIA adapter on its way and im curious how to go about installing any new software on to my Amiga? What software is on offer to me & what it might do? Also what other cards might i use the PCMCIA slot for?
Im still on the look out for 2mb fast ram cards but they all seems very expensive.
Think i need some basic answers to my questions thanks
Old 07 September 2011, 23:33   #2
amiman99

"Not Validated" is like scan disk on windows, probably the Amiga was switched off during HD write. Usually on the next computer start up the HD light will show activity correcting the problem.

To install software using CF, just copy the files from PC and insert into Amiga. A disk icon will appear, double click on it, this will open new window. You need to select "Show All Files" from menu to see any files on it.
Most Amiga sw is in LHA compressed format, you need "LHA" archiver found in Aminet to decompress the files. There are also other ways...

PCMCIA slot can be used for Ethernet cards, WIFI cards or SRAM Memory expansion.
Old 07 September 2011, 23:40   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
To install software using CF, just copy the files from PC and insert into Amiga. A disk icon will appear, double click on it, this will open new window. You need to select "Show All Files" from menu to see any files on it.
It's not quite as simple as just inserting the CF card into the PCMCIA adapter. For a disk icon to appear, drivers are required. Fortunately, all are available on Aminet.
fat95 (http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fat95 )
cfd v1.25 ( http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/cfd )
cfd v1.27 ( http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/cfd )
CardPatch ( http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardPatch )
CardReset ( http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset )
Old 08 September 2011, 00:04   #4
jt5566
jt

thanks guys, sorry to sound daft but how am i going to get my pc and downloaded games from my pc to my Amiga? Emulation but how? Is there a "beginners how to guide"? ta
Old 08 September 2011, 21:17   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

If you are running Workbench 2.1 or greater on your Amiga, you will be able to read MS-DOS formatted 720K floppies in the Amiga's floppy drive by virtue of the included CrossDOS filesystem.

If you have downloaded LHA or ZIP archives on your PC, extract them using WinRAR and copy the individual files to a double-density (720K) PC formatted floppy disk and transfer them to your Amiga by reading the disk in your Amiga's floppy drive.

From the Workbench 3.0 User's Guide:
To activate the DOS driver for your internal floppy drive whenever you boot, you must move the PC0 icon from Storage/DOSDrivers to Devs/DOSDrivers. After rebooting, your Amiga will be able to read, write and format double-density floppy disks inserted in your Amiga's intrnal floppy drive.
Two icons will appear on your desktop for any disk inserted in the drive: one for PC0: and one for DF0:.
For an MS-DOS disk in DF0:, Workbench displays an icon with the disk's name and an icon labelled DF0:????. For an Amiga disk, Workbench shows the usual floppy icon and another lanbelled PC0:????.
When you insert a disk into a CrossDOS drive, there is normally a brief delay between the appearance of the DFx: disk icon and the PCx: disk icon.

This should be good enough to let you get your CF card activated.
Old 08 September 2011, 21:29   #6
amigakit.com

You can use the EasyADF software with your PCMCIA CF adapter
Old 08 September 2011, 22:48   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
dam wheres my post gone, heheheh or is there another post me thinks.....

well just to say am not to far from you if you want to come and ribbit some time

you need to check you ram cards battery, if it has one
If you see green stuff you need to get it sorted pronto
Old 08 September 2011, 23:02   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
dam wheres my post gone, heheheh or is there another post me thinks.....
Hi Cosmic, do you mean this one? Oatcakes!