English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 July 2014, 12:46   #41
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion... yesterday I opened the file using my "user account" and read the content so I think that the permissions are correct, anyway I'll check them later since now I am at work...
"stat" is your friend That way you'll be able to check for the user/group and the permissions.

Compare it to some of the other files and see if there's something strange on that info.sc3 file.
Old 22 July 2014, 15:30   #42
Frog

Thanks for making it.

signing off : an happy JST & WHDLoad registered user
Old 22 July 2014, 21:15   #43
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Nah if in Java the permissions are wrong you get an access denied error as far as I know. I'm thinking that maybe the startup script is setting the wrong current working directory, the sh versions and the bat versions are not -exactly- identical as far as I can tell but at that point I must admit I'm a shell scripting novice.
Old 23 July 2014, 09:18   #44
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Nah if in Java the permissions are wrong you get an access denied error as far as I know. I'm thinking that maybe the startup script is setting the wrong current working directory, the sh versions and the bat versions are not -exactly- identical as far as I can tell but at that point I must admit I'm a shell scripting novice.
Thanks for the suggestion...

Yesterday I checked permits with "stat" and "ls -l" and compared them with those of the same file in folder "3". They are identical.

Maybe I should "double check" that the script is setting the proper parent directory...

Unfortunately I don't have many time to do these tests during the week.

If, in the meantime, anybody has one of the older versions to send me that would be very appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 23 July 2014, 22:14   #45
Cherno

I tried the latest version and it freezes after the first race when the driver board is shown, does anybody else have this problem?
Old 24 July 2014, 12:09   #46
Hewitson

Wow... getting this game to run is a LOT of work. Two different directories "Supercars3" and "SuperCars3", DOS formatted shell scripts which need ASCII codes stripped out of them... Obviously wasn't tested before release.

I'm sure it's a great game, but please fix it so people who don't use Windows can simply download it and run it without all the stuffing around.
Old 24 July 2014, 14:20   #47
liviux76

Yah... the linux scripts were DOS formatted and I had to use "dos2linux" to convert them in *nix format but that is just a minor issue as I can see...
Old 12 August 2014, 22:53   #48
jotd
This cat is no more

Hi,

I'm glad that some people still play my game.

- About unix scripts: sorry about that, I don't have access to a linux box. I'll fix that when I release another version (the archive maker will be a python one hopefully it will improve the archive )

- About the freeze: depends on java version. Sometimes an exception is triggered in the background and you don't see it hence the freeze. Try to check the console when it happens

- There's a VERY annoying bug remaining: on some levels, the lap is not accounted for (and you lose!) because of a "tunnel" effect on some too narrow triangular checkpoint zones. I'll try to quickfix it (with a hack), because the proper fix would make me refactor a lot of the game and all the levels.I wish I had better clues about game design when I coded this. I wanted to create a game where the users could create new maps easily without too many layers ("colored" zones for slopes, checks, walls ...) and that's the main reason for the bug to be short

- and BTW since the time I have revised my position about java: C++/SDL combination is much better and more portable to portable devices (NDS,android...). Once again, the vector technology I used was very confortable with java because of all java2D primitives.

regards
Old 12 August 2014, 23:16   #49
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

So you're looking to release another version?

That would be AWESOME
Old 12 August 2014, 23:24   #50
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Hi,

I'm glad that some people still play my game.

- About unix scripts: sorry about that, I don't have access to a linux box. I'll fix that when I release another version (the archive maker will be a python one hopefully it will improve the archive )

- About the freeze: depends on java version. Sometimes an exception is triggered in the background and you don't see it hence the freeze. Try to check the console when it happens

- There's a VERY annoying bug remaining: on some levels, the lap is not accounted for (and you lose!) because of a "tunnel" effect on some too narrow triangular checkpoint zones. I'll try to quickfix it (with a hack), because the proper fix would make me refactor a lot of the game and all the levels.I wish I had better clues about game design when I coded this. I wanted to create a game where the users could create new maps easily without too many layers ("colored" zones for slopes, checks, walls ...) and that's the main reason for the bug to be short

- and BTW since the time I have revised my position about java: C++/SDL combination is much better and more portable to portable devices (NDS,android...). Once again, the vector technology I used was very confortable with java because of all java2D primitives.

regards
Hello!

Thanks for your update!
If you want, you can download Dos2Unix and Unix2Dos for Windows systems from this website: http://www.bastet.com/

As i said, I tried to launch your game with different versions of Java but the game doesn't start complaining about a missing file that actually is in the right place.
Permissions on that file are correct too...

If you want me to do some tests on your new versions just contact me, I would be more than happy to help you. I am a Linux Sys Adm, though, not a developer so i don't have almost any programming skills (except for bash shell scripting...).

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by liviux76; 13 August 2014 at 08:07.
Old 13 August 2014, 00:55   #51
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

hi j-f,
do you have any project for the amiga ???
why not super cars aga ???
Old 13 August 2014, 12:07   #52
jotd
This cat is no more

Hey

So many replies! That's nice for a 2006 remake.

About amiga Aga version, sorry but that's a complete rewrite in assembler and amiga custom hardware.

I'm not brave and skilled enough to do that and at any rate it would take ages...

Fyi I have ported my bagman remake in c++|sdl to the amiga and it is very slow even on a 68060 which proves that portable technologies are no good for legacy amigas...

About a new release: ok to try to workaround lap bug and find out why it fails on linux but i won t be able to test it. I have used linux quite a lot so i think i can fix it. Btw gods remake runs on linux so mustnt be a big deal.

Cheers
Old 13 August 2014, 13:54   #53
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Perhaps cygwin can help. That's what I use at work to run linux database updating scripts on my Windows workstation
Old 13 August 2014, 15:14   #54
jotd
This cat is no more

I know cygwin and msys.
But if you write something like this in java:

Filepath = directory + "\"" + filename;

That won t work on linux, but will be ok on msys cygwin.

Regards
Old 13 August 2014, 15:54   #55
liviux76

Quote:
I know cygwin and msys.
But if you write something like this in java:

Filepath = directory + "\"" + filename;

That won t work on linux, but will be ok on msys cygwin.

Regards
In my experience, every time I had problems with text files formatted in different systems unix2dos and dos2unix solved them.
Old 14 August 2014, 09:24   #56
jotd
This cat is no more

\r is a vicious bitch
Old 23 December 2014, 17:21   #57
jotd
This cat is no more

Bump, bump

Someone ported Supercars III to Pandora console. This gave me the will to fix some annoying bugs & improve the game.

Here they are (I think most of the nasty/blocking bugs users reported are here)

- fixed: lap did not register sometimes in races 4 (medium) and 1 (hard)
- fixed: train proper collision (sometimes you passed through tail wagons unharmed)
- fixed: level 7 medium: added more resume points
- fixed (SEB): engine sound at race start (only worked when car had exploded once)
- fixed (SEB): turn in mid-air no longer possible
- fixed: crash on fadeout screen (did not occur back in 2007 )
- modified (with help of SEB): rear/front missile speed/acceleration
- fixed: crash when a parasite directory was found in car dirs
- modified: adapted damages to original SC2 values
- modified: adapted aggressivity from SC2 game (ex: level 2 of hard course was just impossible)
- modified: shop item prices (more faithful to original SC2 game)
- modified: ram probability of destroying opponent car
- modified: reduced nitro duration

I'll post another message when it's ready (got to be sure to fix this \r stuff)
Old 23 December 2014, 19:14   #58
liviux76

Quote:
Bump, bump

Someone ported Supercars III to Pandora console. This gave me the will to fix some annoying bugs & improve the game.

Here they are (I think most of the nasty/blocking bugs users reported are here)

- fixed: train proper collision (sometimes you passed through tail wagons unharmed)
- fixed: level 7 medium: added more resume points
- fixed (SEB): engine sound at race start (only worked when car had exploded once)
- fixed (SEB): turn in mid-air no longer possible
- fixed: crash on fadeout screen (did not occur back in 2007 )
- modified (with help of SEB): rear/front missile speed/acceleration
- fixed: crash when a parasite directory was found in car dirs
- modified: adapted damages to original SC2 values
- modified: adapted aggressivity from SC2 game (ex: level 2 of hard course was just impossible)
- modified: shop item prices (more faithful to original SC2 game)
- modified: ram probability of destroying opponent car
- modified: reduced nitro duration

I'll post another message when it's ready (got to be sure to fix this \r stuff)
Oh man!
I can't wait!
That would be a great Christmas present!
Old 23 December 2014, 22:14   #59
alkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux76 View Post

Could anyone send me an older release or help me in some way?
Ok, try this.
From inside the SuperCars3 folder
Open .sc3_settings with an editor and change language from 2 to 1, save.
Code:
java -cp "classes:lib/golden_0_2_3.jar" -DSC3_ROOT_DIR="/home/alex/t/eab/SuperCars3/" -Xmx100m supercars3.game.SCGame
(change your SC3_ROOT_DIR to where you have it, of course)

I am running kubuntu 64bit and the version of java I have is:
Code:
alex@redlumf:~/t/eab/SuperCars3$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)
Hope it helps.
Old 26 December 2014, 09:39   #60
jotd
This cat is no more

hi,

V0.6 is available on my website. I wasn't willing to do much but finally I changed/fixed a lot of things, so it's much better than V0.5

I know there are startup problems on linux, etc..., if someone finds them and proposes a fix I'll put it in next release.