English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 June 2010, 14:32   #21
Hewitson

I did try that, it crashed on my machine for some reason. (A1200/060/3.9)
Old 11 June 2010, 15:01   #22
orange

what i did is make huge archive (store) of all whdload games starting with some letter. and transfer that one file with samba or ftp. (ftp should be a bit faster). then uncompress it on amiga if you got space.
IIRC, I had to use zip archive, because rar wants too much RAM. maybe lha would work too with huge archives. ( set working directory..)

Last edited by orange; 11 June 2010 at 15:09.
Old 11 June 2010, 20:32   #23
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I did try that, it crashed on my machine for some reason. (A1200/060/3.9)
Double check you have the correct MCCs, it is very picky about the version number.
Old 13 June 2012, 18:44   #24
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Thread revival

Wasnt Parnet always faster than serial versions? I need to link an Amiga with a W7 PC server. Whats the best solution for me without spending loads on network cards.. File copying is priority but if I could also use internet over it so much the better.

Well guys - some advice pls?
Old 17 July 2012, 07:40   #25
Jope
-

I'm afraid your best solution for Windows 7 is Amiga Explorer and a serial cable.

PC2Am + a parallel cable really only works reasonably with a Win9x machine.
Old 17 July 2012, 09:23   #26
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Who has Win9x now? I hear that with Userport addon it can work... I just ordered a serial/parallel card (parallel for Atari ST and serial for Amiga, since I found a PCMCIA wireless card for A1200 anyway)
Old 17 July 2012, 14:34   #27
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Who has Win9x now? I hear that with Userport addon it can work...
Yes, it can sometimes be coaxed to work with the userport driver, but brace yourself for disappointment.

And yeah, no-one has win9x any more, but that doesn't change the fact that pc2am doesn't work properly with anything better. :-)
Old 17 July 2012, 22:36   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
And yeah, no-one has win9x any more...
That's just not true.

Quote:
And yeah, no-one has win9x exclusively any more...
Fixed.
Old 18 July 2012, 01:08   #29
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I'm afraid your best solution for Windows 7 is Amiga Explorer and a serial cable.

PC2Am + a parallel cable really only works reasonably with a Win9x machine.
One option is to run Windows Virtual Machine to effectively run an old operating system within Windows 7 - then you'll have no problems!

I'm looking at possibly using my USB-to-Serial adaptor as this new laptop doesn't even have PCMCIA port/parallel/serial! Argh!... Or I could go with networking via PCMCIA card on Amiga A600HD although, I think it may require RAM upgrade as standard 1MB RAM.
Old 18 July 2012, 10:05   #30
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
One option is to run Windows Virtual Machine to effectively run an old operating system within Windows 7 - then you'll have no problems!

I'm looking at possibly using my USB-to-Serial adaptor as this new laptop doesn't even have PCMCIA port/parallel/serial! Argh!... Or I could go with networking via PCMCIA card on Amiga A600HD although, I think it may require RAM upgrade as standard 1MB RAM.
Have you actually TRIED that and confirm it works or is this theory?
Old 19 July 2012, 09:10   #31
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That's just not true.
Yep, I actually have a P166MMX kicking around with Win98SE just for all kinds of legacy needs. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
So the VM would get direct access to the real parallel port and there are no timing problems? Are you sure of this? Personal experience?

This I must see. What virtual machine host do you recommend? VMWare? Virtualbox? Microsoft Virtual PC? :-)
Old 19 July 2012, 10:19   #32
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Some guy at Amibay claims this works (VMWare) and also sells "special" cables claiming Laplink cables dont work. Everyone else on the net seems to say Laplink parallel cables DO work.

Also, apparently a version of DOSBox works with parallel ports so maybe thats the easiest way?
Old 19 July 2012, 13:31   #33
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Some guy at Amibay claims this works (VMWare) and also sells "special" cables claiming Laplink cables dont work. Everyone else on the net seems to say Laplink parallel cables DO work.
Yep laplink cables work fine.

The special cable is 8-bit, laplink is 4-bit. The 8-bit cable might not work with all PC parallel ports, but I had good success with it with many different PCs back when a P233MMX was the fastest computer in my home.
Old 19 July 2012, 23:02   #34
bdb

Clarification

Lap Link cables do work and the originals are of high quality (yellow is serial, blue is Parallel). The idea of using a VM in Win 7 is good for 2 reasons: 1) Win 7 does not want to talk to anything that is non-windows, 2) THe Win 7 version above "Home" includes a setup for Win-XP (there is a download involved), but the setup provides a FULL XP install.

I wish I had thought of that the last time I wasted a week trying to connect to my Win 7 PC. Samba goes in easy as pie if you follow "The Idiots Guide to Samba on the Amiga." It just won't connect to Win 7.

This 4-bit stuff is "4-WIRE" which is the defination of a serial cable connection; it is 1-bit at a time -- 2 wires for data, 1 wire to tell it to send data, 1-wire to tell it to receive data. The 8-bit is the defination of parallel, at least on the printer connection. The serial transfer rate (Baud) can change from a lowly 50 bits per second up to 230K bits per second and is determined by lots of factors, but the parallel port has only one transfer rate.

I don't believe Amiga Explorer touches the parallel side of things, but the ParNet software does (albeit not likely under anything but Win 95/98, don't know but someoune could try). There was a software program to go between Amiga's that used the floppy drive port and was the fastest way, but that was about 20 years ago.

If all fails, spend 12 bucks on a CF card reader, format the card in Fat95 (google it for Amiga) or even NTFS, and sneaker-net it across the room. A Gigabyte or two would take an hour or more the serial/parallel cable way.
Old 19 July 2012, 23:09   #35
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

err Win7 XP mode will still have the kernel mode issue with Parallel port.. You need 9x/ME or earlier.. or use DosBox (special version)
Old 19 July 2012, 23:11   #36
bdb

Don't know myself, but I take it that you have tried?
Old 19 July 2012, 23:12   #37
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Yep, I actually have a P166MMX kicking around with Win98SE just for all kinds of legacy needs. :-)

So the VM would get direct access to the real parallel port and there are no timing problems? Are you sure of this? Personal experience?

This I must see. What virtual machine host do you recommend? VMWare? Virtualbox? Microsoft Virtual PC? :-)
If I'm completely honest, I have not used it for the purpose of Amiga, however, I have used it to get support for using 'legacy'/old parallel and serial ports for purposes of JTAG and older hardware, so I gather it may also work for Amiga? Microsoft Virtual PC is what I used.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:06   #38
bdb

Amiga Explorer over TCP/IP

I'm sorry, I was talking about getting AExplorer to get around Win 7's restriction on computer connections by using the VM with Win XP

I don't think Win 7 cares a hoot about the serial & parallel ports
Old 20 July 2012, 02:41   #39
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
I'm sorry, I was talking about getting AExplorer to get around Win 7's restriction on computer connections by using the VM with Win XP

I don't think Win 7 cares a hoot about the serial & parallel ports
Sorry, I'm not familiar with these restrictions, care to clarify?
Old 20 July 2012, 04:47   #40
bdb

Ok, "restrictions" is a poor word choice, but has anybody been able to connect an Amiga to a Win 7 computer (not a Win 7 server)? When I last tried 3 months ago, I spent a week going through every post I could find, started a thread (on another Amy web site) and got nowhere; one nice person just flat out told me it was impossible.

So if this information is wrong, please tell me how to do it.