English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 June 2008, 11:34   #481
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Still in love with the old OLD school Amiga gear, like Beneath a Steel Sky and Gunship. They look good (remembering their age) and I never got tired of them. My fave atm is Terrorpods from Psygnosis but pretty much everything they did on the Miggy was great.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:42   #482
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi PWLM,

welcome to the EAB!
I can play some of the old games for the 50th time or more and never get bored of them.
Talking about Psygnosis games : Have you played Barbarian 2? It's not the best they made, but such a nice mixture of Action and small bits of Adventure and RPG. Have to play this one again...
Old 18 June 2008, 12:19   #483
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Yeah I haven't looked at B2 since I downloaded the latest winuae (bloody computer crashes... aaah for the reliable Amiga...?) but I remember it looked pretty good, Psygnosis could always get the mood out of the gameplay and the tunes too. Psygnosis and Team 17 would get my vote for best developers because you couldn't stop playinh their games!
Old 18 June 2008, 12:21   #484
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

But then I enjoyed playing Birds of Prey....
Old 18 June 2008, 12:26   #485
Monsterland

Total War Medieval 2, trying to complete it with the English.
Old 18 June 2008, 12:27   #486
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
But then I enjoyed playing Birds of Prey....
Really nice flight-sim! I'm not so much into that genre, but BoP was really fun
Most games of Team 17 are really great and I would recommend Bitmap Brothers & Cinemaware games aswell. Most of them are highly addictive too
Old 18 June 2008, 13:50   #487
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

It Came From The Desert was so hard when I was 13 (maybe it's just me?) but still great to look at and play. Bitmap Bros was good too, some basic games but some really out-there stuff for the '80s especially Speedball and Chaos Engine. Good flight sim for an arcade-ish game was Interceptor by Electronic Arts.
Old 18 June 2008, 14:00   #488
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It came from the desert was hard, at least for me too At that time (around 1991) I didn't know what to do and it took me a pretty long time to figure it out. But the style and graphics of the game kept me playing it Have you ever played Elvira - Mistress of the dark? It was also hard and confusing in the first place, but turned out to be a really enjoyable game.
Old 20 June 2008, 13:08   #489
Graham Humphrey

I've been playing a nifty little shooter called Self Destruct, which was written for some competition and randomly generates waves every time you play. It also features an online highscore table. I'm rubbish at it though
Old 20 June 2008, 15:35   #490
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I've been playing a nifty little shooter called Self Destruct, which was written for some competition and randomly generates waves every time you play. It also features an online highscore table. I'm rubbish at it though
Looks really nice! I think I give it a shot tonight
Thanks for the link Graham
Old 21 June 2008, 05:15   #491
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Quote:
Brilliant game! Although I am completely crap at it what a beauty. Really goes to show that gameplay should be the #1 solution to get anyone to play or buy a game.

Another good one I have for my A600 is Scorched Tanks. 2 tanks, 1 battlefield, buy heaps of silly weapons (like nukes, soundwaves, trench-diggers..) and blow the snot out of the opposition. Simple pleasures!
Old 21 June 2008, 09:36   #492
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

My cousins came over on vacation and we have been playing Slam Tilt and having ferocious battles in Total Chaos. I won the last game by manufacturing a flying Generator. LOL! I smashed his dragons to bits.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:58   #493
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
Brilliant game! Although I am completely crap at it what a beauty. Really goes to show that gameplay should be the #1 solution to get anyone to play or buy a game.

Another good one I have for my A600 is Scorched Tanks. 2 tanks, 1 battlefield, buy heaps of silly weapons (like nukes, soundwaves, trench-diggers..) and blow the snot out of the opposition. Simple pleasures!
Indeed, I suck at it as well but it's really good fun.

Scorched Tanks... haven't played that for a while. Brilliant though, may have to give it another go.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:27   #494
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

If anyone enjoyed playing KOTOR you will like Mass Effect, great graphics and cool storyline.
Its a mix of :
Star Wars = You can use force like powers, ancient and rich galaxy
Star Trek = humans formed an alliance with other species and try to keep the peace in the galaxy.
Splinter Cell = Because of the way you can control your character, and combat style is more dinamic than in KOTOR, no turn based combat style and you can also duck or take cover behind objects.
Hardware requirements are a bit high though...
Old 21 June 2008, 11:37   #495
Marcuz

Quote:
it seems cool. actually it's great that there 's people who produce such little great games (coherent designs, no shit, just fun) but it's just too hard for me to play it
Old 21 June 2008, 11:39   #496
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
If anyone enjoyed playing KOTOR you will like Mass Effect, great graphics and cool storyline.
Its a mix of :
Star Wars = You can use force like powers, ancient and rich galaxy
Star Trek = humans formed an alliance with other species and try to keep the peace in the galaxy.
Splinter Cell = Because of the way you can control your character, and combat style is more dinamic than in KOTOR, no turn based combat style and you can also duck or take cover behind objects.
Hardware requirements are a bit high though...
out of curiosity, on which hardwere do you run it? would it be reasonably fluent on a ATI x1950 pro?
Old 21 June 2008, 11:42   #497
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
it seems cool. actually it's great that there 's people who produce such little great games (coherent designs, no shit, just fun) but it's just too hard for me to play it
For me too. I have played it a bit yesterday evening and the best score was about 60.000. Then there was this 'you need at least 1.1 million for a highscore' text on the screen I will never be able to reach even one quarter of that score But it's a really nice arcade shooter! Thanks again for that Graham
Old 21 June 2008, 12:42   #498
Yoto
1 Potato to Spam´em all!

@ marco pedrana
I´m running the game in a Dual Core 6420 2.13 Ghz with 2Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX - 3700 w/512Mb Ram at 1680x1050 (full features except dynamic shadows, only because i dislike dynamic shadows)
But i see no reason why it wouldnt run on a ATI x1950 pro.
If the game gets jerky just adjust the Textures from High Textures to High and/or disable the dynamic shadows.
Old 21 June 2008, 12:44   #499
Graham Humphrey

Don't thank me, thank the editor of RGCD magazine who pointed me in the direction of it - I'm reviewing it for them, but I guess I have to survive for longer than ten seconds first
Old 21 June 2008, 12:50   #500
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
@ marco pedrana
I´m running the game in a Dual Core 6420 2.13 Ghz with 2Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX - 3700 w/512Mb Ram at 1680x1050 (full features except dynamic shadows, only because i dislike dynamic shadows)
But i see no reason why it wouldnt run on a ATI x1950 pro.
If the game gets jerky just adjust the Textures from High Textures to High and/or disable the dynamic shadows.
that's about my pc too, thank you Yotoxionomai